How Close to 500MHz has NV got?

Dave Baumann

Gamerscore Wh...
Legend
tag.jpg

Is that the actual speed of the core on this alpha version?

wheeh... this autumn looked a boring as hell, but hey hey hey... it looks like we got something to speculate more. :)

aaanyways.... somehow it looks like to me that ATI has pretty strong hold from High end right now. And if nVidia truly is in so deep crap as it seems now, this cleary opens some real opportunities to Matrox, Trident and SiS. All three has some DX9 stuff on their R&D line.

and who knows, (yea Chalnoth, I know, I know, their previous products have been piece of crap. ;) ) S3 / VIA might get their Columbia out as well some day. :)

I don't see nothing wrong if ATI and nVidia change places. that just should make nVidia to push harder on R&D to get back on fastest. that means more competion and usually better products with less money for consumers. :)

pocketmoon_ said:
THE SIZE OF THAT COOLING FAN!!

You know, the huge NV30 cooling system looks like a marketing technique targeting the... demographic group who believes that the size of one's penis is directly proportional to the size of your computer's cooling devices.

OMG THAT IS HUGE FAN == SEXXY OMG MUST BUY NV30.

don't see nothing wrong if ATI and nVidia change places. that just should make nVidia to push harder on R&D to get back on fastest. that means more competion and usually better products with less money for consumers

preeeecisely. As long as Nv doesn't wait 1 year+ to bring out a TRUE refresh of GeForce FX (the Nv35) things will be just fine.

Actually, NV35 SHOULD be a spring 2003 product. If NV30 was ment to be a fall 2002 product, NV35 the refresh should be spring.....

DaveBaumann said:
tag.jpg

Is that the actual speed of the core on this alpha version?
Maybe they're using AMD's QuantiSpeed rating for the shipping models, "real" 196MHz on this sample would probably be a 450+ on the box... ;)

Gollum said:
Maybe they're using AMD's QuantiSpeed rating for the shipping models, "real" 196MHz on this sample would probably be a 450+ on the box... ;)

You are confusing AMD's QuantiSpeed ratings with Cyrix 686 speed ratings. Please get them straight next time. ^^

megadrive0088 said:
don't see nothing wrong if ATI and nVidia change places. that just should make nVidia to push harder on R&D to get back on fastest. that means more competion and usually better products with less money for consumers

preeeecisely. As long as Nv doesn't wait 1 year+ to bring out a TRUE refresh of GeForce FX (the Nv35) things will be just fine.

Actually, NV35 SHOULD be a spring 2003 product. If NV30 was ment to be a fall 2002 product, NV35 the refresh should be spring.....

Um....NV30 in Feb, NV35 in March? What's wrong with this picture?

Does anyone know if that card was in an NVIDIA machine or an add in manufacturer one?
Maybe NVIDIA gave these lower clocked cards to stop them running benchmarks

maybe they are saing "In GL Testmode" it gets a speed rating of "196"

whatever that would mean

some kinda benchmark?

my guess anyways, i dunno

Philibob said:
Does anyone know if that card was in an NVIDIA machine or an add in manufacturer one?
Maybe NVIDIA gave these lower clocked cards to stop them running benchmarks

Either way spells bad for nVidia, don't you think?

All the boards at the UK launch were reference boards, I don't know about the ones at Comdex. Talking to a few of the launch partners I did in the UK they don't, as yet, know exactly when to expect chip batches, however a guys from ASUS said they are getting update almost daily now.

Jallen said:
Thats not a MHz speed rating...

I tend to agree...I don't buy a part at 196 MHz on 0.13 putting out as much heat ("feeling hot on the hand") as has been reported for the cooler solution used, no matter how many problems they are having. Also, they had smooth demonstrations and I thought they were real-time...I don't buy that at 196 MHz either.

I don't have a clue as to what else they could mean with "Speed Rating" though, so maybe I'm just plain wrong *shrug*.

Back