xbox 360 e3 thread 4

So, anyone willing to speculate on Xbox360 timetable?

November - R500 Tapeout
|
February - Alpha Kits ship
|
May: E3
|
June: Beta (near-final?) kits ship
|
August/September: Start of production.
|
November: Lauch

Feel free to suggest corrections or add other details (such as CPU tapeout, etc).

Geeforcer said:
So, anyone willing to speculate on Xbox360 timetable?

November - R500 Tapeout
|
February - Alpha Kits ship
|
May: E3
|
June: Beta (near-final?) kits ship
|
August/September: Start of production.
|
November: Lauch

Feel free to suggest corrections or add other details (such as CPU tapeout, etc).

If the R500 was taped out in November, i just don't see the point in MS showing those horrible videos 2 weeks ago and at E3.

As I said before, "taped-out" and "being produced at quantity at a decent speed" are two different things. I think the exact phrase everyone used is "we had the silicon back in November". How well that silicon worked remains a question, and judging by the fact that there was only a single working prototype at E3 and even that was underclocked might suggest that it didn't work so well.

Not sure if it's been posted on the previous thread. But I'll edit it out if it has been.

E3: Allard downplays graphics, talks creativity

Speaking in an exclusive interview, Microsoft's J Allard has downplayed the importance of graphics in the next generation of consoles - saying that it's creativity, not visual quality, which will sell the next 100 million consoles.

"We can't get all hung up as an industry and say it's all about graphic fidelity," Allard commented. "I kind of put the 'does it look better?' secondarily. Not because it's not important, not because I don't think we're not going to have a system to do it, but because we're almost good enough."

"We're almost at the point now visually where we're like, in videogames, do we need better visuals than what we saw on Monday night?" he continued. "A little bit. It's not the thing that's going to sell to the next 100 million people. The thing that's going to sell to the next 100 million people is creativity; creativity for labouring, creativity from a designer's point of view and so a hard drive can provide those tools."

You can read the full interview with J Allard on the site today.

Source

Change of heart or something else?

- Z

-NakedZ- said:
Not sure if it's been posted on the previous thread. But I'll edit it out if it has been.

E3: Allard downplays graphics, talks creativity

Speaking in an exclusive interview, Microsoft's J Allard has downplayed the importance of graphics in the next generation of consoles - saying that it's creativity, not visual quality, which will sell the next 100 million consoles.

"We can't get all hung up as an industry and say it's all about graphic fidelity," Allard commented. "I kind of put the 'does it look better?' secondarily. Not because it's not important, not because I don't think we're not going to have a system to do it, but because we're almost good enough."

"We're almost at the point now visually where we're like, in videogames, do we need better visuals than what we saw on Monday night?" he continued. "A little bit. It's not the thing that's going to sell to the next 100 million people. The thing that's going to sell to the next 100 million people is creativity; creativity for labouring, creativity from a designer's point of view and so a hard drive can provide those tools."

You can read the full interview with J Allard on the site today.

Source

Change of heart or something else?

- Z

Because except for a few, nobody wants to play a game if it isnt' fun even if it looks pretty? MS has been pretty much "its about the games" so far.

Because except for a few, nobody wants to play a game if it isnt' fun even if it looks pretty? MS has been pretty much "its about the games" so far.

yup its what the whole pre e3 confrence was about . Connecting with gamers and all types of gamers not just what the industry currently targets

therealskywolf said:
^

Unfortunatelly, they are getting hammered for it.....well there's allways a Storm i say.

well all 3 companys are getting hammered

MS that wasn't as cool as what sony showed

Sony that wasn't real your trying to fool us

Nintendo ... wtf its a box where is the rest of the unit and how are you going to make something that small so powerfull

They all took hits and they all got good press also .

But alot of people are hung up with the press confrence . Don't forget that the press played gow , pdz and other games behind closed doors and were blown away and that full auto and kameo among a few other games were on the show floor playable

I will agree, it does seem kind of strange that MS would go from "We have the absolute best hardware, so you need to buy games on our system because they will look the best" last generation (and yes, I know Live was a selling point as well), to "Well, graphics aren't important anymore for this generation". I mean, I really wouldn't be as suspicious if they hadn't changed their mind so suddenly from one console generation to the next.

Mordecaii said:
I will agree, it does seem kind of strange that MS would go from "We have the absolute best hardware, so you need to buy games on our system because they will look the best" last generation (and yes, I know Live was a selling point as well), to "Well, graphics aren't important anymore for this generation". I mean, I really wouldn't be as suspicious if they hadn't changed their mind so suddenly from one console generation to the next.

well remember we don't know which is the most powerfull. IF they are both close to each other in power then ms may be right playing this song right now instead of hyping the hardware and then having to back track later on when both put out the same graphics

That's true... I just never trust PR especially when they change their stance so completely in such a short amount of time... And that goes for any company's PR. ;)

What do you expect, it's a current gen PC product. Most of the games that release in similar timeframes on PC and a console will not look nearly as good as specialized games (until PC hardware catches up).

It has just been announced that Xbox360 will use Intervideo for DVD playback instead of Cyberlink. Xbox used Cyberlink.

Mordecaii said:
What do you expect, it's a current gen PC product. Most of the games that release in similar timeframes on PC and a console will not look nearly as good as specialized games (until PC hardware catches up).

I expected a bit more from the lighting/shadowing departement, that's for sure. I think i'd rather wait for the Bioware RPG that's using the U3 engine.

Back