R520 informanina, part II (E3, etc)

phenix said:
We aren't expecting to see the official R520 launch until later this year and not at Computex, based on information we've been hearing from Taiwan.

So is it delayed or not?

That is a delay (unless it is availble worldwide more or less from day one).

geo said:
"In a bit of a surprise", eh? Y'know, I think this is about as close as we've gotten (and maybe as close as we will ever get) to confirmation that R520 was scheduled for Computex launch and now isn't.

Because as much as I like to use Inq as a conversation starter, I don't rely on them.

The question is, who was surprised by an E3 showing of R520, and why...;) AT, of course, doesn't expand on that info, unfortunately.

As far as the "we have received confirmation" reports issued by entities such as xBit, I'd like to posit the gentle reminder that unless the confirming source is attributed then any such "confirmations" become immediately debatable. Ah, the Internet...;)

Unknown Soldier said:
If it's a August launch . .i'll be dissappointed

Depends on whether they can go back to the days of launch/ship/availability all being within 30 days, rather than the current preference from both of the big graphic companies of launch, then ship 60-90 days later, then general availability 60-90 days after that (which is just pants).

Alan Wake is designed for the next-generation consoles (e.g. Xbox 360 and PS3), and thus wasn't running perfectly smoothly on the R520 but performance was quite respectable.
is my $400 6800gt crap now? i only enjoyed 3 games from it. farcry,doom3 & hf2... :cry:

To which he got a quite original pun I might add (blesses own laurels) :p

Jokes aside I believe that nao's tidbit that according to rumours both R520 and G70 found their ways to major ISVs hands back in March to be accurate. I'm less interested when each of the two IHVs will announce/present their upcoming high end GPUs, but rather when they'll exactly find their way to the shelves and in what quantities.

I have the feeling that last year the general consensus was that we'll see either/or at least in spring. I didn't believe it back then, since it sounded to close to former releases, but I wouldn't call July or August exactly spring in this particular hemisphere.

If there aren't any other factors that we aren't aware of, it might very well be that both IHVs have slowed down in relative terms the releases in order to better divide the time between the R420/NV40 and future WGF2.0 releases. From the signs so far both intend to release R520/G70 summer 2005 and then they'll probably release another refresh in early 2006 (R580/G7x).

Microsoft seems to be claiming Longhorn shipments around holidays 2006 and I'm not yet sure whether ATI/NVIDIA will ship R600/G80(?) around that time or will wait for the WGF2.0 release later on.

Ailuros said:
Microsoft seems to be claiming Longhorn shipments around holidays 2006 and I'm not yet sure whether ATI/NVIDIA will ship R600/G80(?) around that time or will wait for the WGF2.0 release later on.

R300 was released a bit before DX9, wasn't it?

Tho, speaking for myself, I haven't divined yet whether the WGF2.0 transition is so extreme from a performance profile pov, as to make wanting a base of Longhorn users out there in advance highly desirable before release. In other words, even if nonWGF2.0 cards can co-exist with Longhorn (obviously they can, hence WGF1.0), and WGF2.0 cards can co-exist with WinXP (almost certainly they will), whether the performance for gaming will suck so heartily when "fish out of water" that not too many gamers would be willing to do it other than very short term.

digitalwanderer said:
To be honest I kind of like the delay, it keeps my X800 TT cutting edge for just that much longer. :oops:

Just sold mine on eBay for $360, pre-empting an announcement of these new parts :cool:

Back