Xbox 360: Component, Composit, VGA... no DVI/HDMI

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
Supports: Component, Composit, S-Video (but not out of the box...), and VGA (woot!); SCART adaptor(s) in Europe

Does not support: DVI, HDMI

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1817024,00.asp
ET: What sort of connections can we expect to our TVs, out of the box? The original Xbox comes with just composite video, and you have to go buy another pack if you want S-video, or another pack if you want component.

TH: With the Xbox 360 you'll be able to connect to composite or component out of the box. There will be other things that we support like VGA.

ET: So you will support VGA this time around?

TH: Yeah. We'll also support some of the SCART type adaptors in Europe. It will support S-video, but not out of the box.

ET: What about DVI or HDMI? Those are popular connections on HDTVs these days.

TH: We believe that we have the right set of outputs right now to meet the requirements of people who have HDTV sets today. We're continuing to look at what's going on in the future, and as things change, we've developed a very flexible system, so we can adapt to the different demands that are out there. Continued...

The entire interview is worth a read: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1817022,00.asp

e.g. It is WiFi ready and will be available at launch but not out of the box (you need a small addon). Mixed reaction on that... obviously current Xbox owners with LIVE have the connection deal figured out and personally not an issue for me... but I can see this being a detourant. Well, then again, a lot of people have their Cable boxes not far from their TV... but for ease of use WiFi would have been better (but I wonder about pings)

Acert93 said:

TH: Yeah. We'll also support some of the SCART type adaptors in Europe. It will support S-video, but not out of the box.

TH: We believe that we have the right set of outputs right now to meet the requirements of people who have HDTV sets today. We're continuing to look at what's going on in the future, and as things change, we've developed a very flexible system, so we can adapt to the different demands that are out there. Continued...

Thats pretty misleading, its more like doesn't have a connector for it at the time. If you read his quote, he states that the system is flexible, there is no reason given why they can't make a HDMI or DVI connector its just that they have currently chosen not to (or announce one).

Shame, digital video output can look a bit better than analog. It's not like it's gonna cost them the moon to put at least DVI on there. PC cards have had DVI for years, strange to see a ultra powerful ATI GPU without DVI.

What is a HDMI output and are there converters that enable it to hook it up to a computer monitor (VGA input)?

Acert93 said:
Supports: Component, Composit, S-Video (but not out of the box...), and VGA (woot!); SCART adaptor(s) in Europe

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1817024,00.asp
ET: What sort of connections can we expect to our TVs, out of the box? The original Xbox comes with just composite video, and you have to go buy another pack if you want S-video, or another pack if you want component.

TH: With the Xbox 360 you'll be able to connect to composite or component out of the box. There will be other things that we support like VGA.

ET: So you will support VGA this time around?

The entire interview is worth a read: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1817022,00.asp

e.g. It is WiFi ready and will be available at launch but not out of the box (you need a small addon). Mixed reaction on that... obviously current Xbox owners with LIVE have the connection deal figured out and personally not an issue for me... but I can see this being a detourant. Well, then again, a lot of people have their Cable boxes not far from their TV... but for ease of use WiFi would have been better (but I wonder about pings)

Big mistake, next year a 802.11b/g chipset "almost" comes for free. I also think it's a mistake to drop a HDMI or DVI connector, though HDMI is *expensive* (probably due to licensing costs). However, when you want to output HD to a display IMHO at resolutions above XVGA (or 720P) you need this to reduce the influence of noise and Xtalk.

If Microsoft is serious to push Xbox as an entertainment hub, they should have put in Wifi. Anybody any clue whether you can stream video or audio content from a PC to your Xbox in your living room ? I assume you will get the full Windows Media thingie on your Xbox,.

Phil said:
What is a HDMI output and are there converters that enable it to hook it up to a computer monitor (VGA input)?

No.

HDMI is digital, there is no way to get that converted back to VGA with a simple adapter. Though there is an adapter for DVI.

I really don't see the issue some people are having about them not supporting DVI/HDMI initially. The audio/video output on the 360 (as well as the original Xbox) are proprietary connections. The output on the 360 is likely to support DVI and HDMI interfaces. All they have to make is the corresponding breakout box. If there's enough of a demand I don't see why they won't eventually release them.

Phil said:
HDMI is pretty much DVI with a different (much more compact) formfactor for the connector, plus it also carries digital audio. Not sure if the audio is SPDIF on a separate set of wires, or if it's baked into the video datastream somehow.

DVI/HDMI could be converted to analog VGA using a RAMDAC-type chip, but I'm not aware of any such converters. Afaik, DVI-to-VGA plugs that sometimes come with some vidcards merely take the analog pins already present in the DVI connector and routes them to a standard VGA 15-pin high-density Dsub connector.

DeathKnight said:
I really don't see the issue some people are having about them not supporting DVI/HDMI initially. The audio/video output on the 360 (as well as the original Xbox) are proprietary connections. The output on the 360 is likely to support DVI and HDMI interfaces. All they have to make is the corresponding breakout box. If there's enough of a demand I don't see why they won't eventually release them.

Cause the multi-video-out would have to be both digital and analog in order to somehow make it compatible with both component/VGA and DVI/HDMI.
Might be possible, but it seems they said they are just not supporting it.
DVI/HDMI would give HDTV users the best possible IQ. If i had a HDTV i'd want the best connection to go with it. Analog is disappearing for a reason afterall.

It's really a shame if MS doesn't put any kind of digital connection on the thing. Talk about your weak link. :?

one said:
Hopefully Samsung puts pressure on MS to make them add HDMI!

Agreed, I'm getting more and more pissed about X360 and MS. WTF!!
Even in my wildest dreams I couldn't anticipate that there is going to be any change that DVI or HDMI wouldn't be supported. I didn't buy that 150e 4 in 1 out dvi switch for nothing!. If thinks keep going at this rate I'm on the dark side pretty soon.

DeathKnight said:

Exactly. Also not many people realize how expensive a DVI cable really is. Better to leave it has an option for those who don't have DVI/HDMI equipped HDTVs. A flexible multi-puporse A/V out would make much more sense than adding a bunch of DVI/HDMI/component outputs.

PC-Engine said:
DeathKnight said:

Exactly. Also not many people realize how expensive a DVI cable really is. Better to leave it has an option for those who don't have DVI/HDMI equipped HDTVs. A flexible multi-puporse A/V out would make much more sense than adding a bunch of DVI/HDMI/component outputs.

Well atleast In Finland you can buy one for about 10$, not too expensive if you ask me

Dr Evil said:
PC-Engine said:
DeathKnight said:

Well atleast In Finland you can buy one for about 10$, not too expensive if you ask me

What??? That's friggen cheap!!! Over here in the US it's like $40 for a bottom of the barrel DVI cable. :oops:

HD era my ass. F-u MS. You can put both an HDMI/DVI connector AND an analog connector. Then people can buy whatever cable they want. If their GPU doesn't have a TDMS transmitter, they are screwed quality wise.

PC-Engine said:
Dr Evil said:
PC-Engine said:
DeathKnight said:

What??? That's friggen cheap!!! Over here in the US it's like $40 for a bottom of the barrel DVI cable. :oops:

http://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolder/04/41271/index.php

That's a bit cheaper and I found that in 20 seconds, I'm sure I could find even cheaper, but I'm too tired It's 5am here, and it's time to hit the bed.

Edit: crap I thought you live in UK
Edit2: Here you go sir.

http://www.coolerexpress.com/6dvmatodvmad.html

The main reason PS3 has HDMI is for HDCP. Protecting your 1080p movies from digitally perfect copies is importent to Big Content!

Back