Peter Moore on differences between console demonstrations

JarrodKing

Newcomer
Thought this was interesting. Peter Moore is a VP at Microsoft -

From an interview at IGN

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/615/615893p1.html

Q: There has been some discussion about the visual difference between the games shown at the Sony conference, and the games shown at the Microsoft conference. What kind of kits are you working from, and were the games we saw working at full capacity?

Peter Moore: The games we showed were working off alpha test kits using a PC graphics ship, not the actual graphics chip from our system. The games are running at about 30% of their actual capability. Our dev kits are still only in the alpha stage, and we have not delivered beta kits yet. The final kits will ship to developers in July.

We had to show real stuff because we're at that point where we're really close. If we had shown conceptual movies like Sony did then people would really be wondering where we're coming from. Since we're this close to launch, we had to use real kits and real gameplay.

Re: Peter Moore on differences between console demonstration

JarrodKing said:

From an interview at IGN

Q: There has been some discussion about the visual difference between the games shown at the Sony conference, and the games shown at the Microsoft conference. What kind of kits are you working from, and were the games we saw working at full capacity?

Peter Moore: The games we showed were working off alpha test kits using a PC graphics ship, not the actual graphics chip from our system. The games are running at about 30% of their actual capability. Our dev kits are still only in the alpha stage, and we have not delivered beta kits yet. The final kits will ship to developers in July.

We had to show real stuff because we're at that point where we're really close. If we had shown conceptual movies like Sony did then people would really be wondering where we're coming from. Since we're this close to launch, we had to use real kits and real gameplay.

Ehhh..... stupid question perhaps, but if you as a developer gets the beta kits with the actual final GPU (= R500) into your hands in July can you then still be in time for a Xmas release ? Even the production takes 2 months at least, let alone the final debugging and tweaks.

So, how exactly did they get PGR3 to run like that on alpha kit? Someone is not telling the full truth here.

Sounds about right...

But I still say they should have showed movies and only a COUPLE of the best looking games. Heck, hold a fall show like Nintendo's Space world to show off all the games, but use E3 for the hype machine.

Btw, July dev kits? This is why launches have so few good games... maybe some of the PC titles being ported will really shine.

Seems like a rather specious response considering the dev kits for PS3 are reported to still be using SLI-paired cards rather than a real RSX, though the Cell in the kit might very well be final. However, Sweeney made mention that the UE3 demo was using basically just the graphics system and had very little Cell utilization anyway.

Geeforcer said:
So, how exactly did they get PGR3 to run like that on alpha kit? Someone is not telling the full truth here.

could have been a special alpha kit with 2 r520s

Or mabye a rare alpha kit with a finished r500 ?

I dunno but that is really the only game that makes you go wow i don't think that was real time

Geeforcer said:

Yeah... I am not sure MS said it was real time, but I do know in the threads I have seen most of us have pegged it as an unknown. Even *if* it looked that good when it is released, I think it is safe to say at this point it is NOT realtime at this point. Who knows what quality the final product will be :?

Good news is I heard IGN was supposed to get hands on soon with it.

Re: Peter Moore on differences between console demonstration

loekf2 said:
JarrodKing said:

From an interview at IGN

Ehhh..... stupid question perhaps, but if you as a developer gets the beta kits with the actual final GPU (= R500) into your hands in July can you then still be in time for a Xmas release ? Even the production takes 2 months at least, let alone the final debugging and tweaks.

Depends on what you were aiming at when you wrote the code and built the models, and how close your guesses were.

This is probably the primary reason that you see such a significant jump from 1st to 2nd gen console titles. The first gen stuff is based on estimates and speculation, the 2nd gen stuff is based on measurements and experience.

jvd said:
Geeforcer said:

I dunno but that is really the only game that makes you go wow i don't think that was real time

Eh, neither of these would be alpha kits, right?

So far, I know for a fact of 3 games that were shown real-time, in game at some point:

PDZ, Kameo and Top Spin. All 3 looked rather substandard, which is not suprising considering that hardware is not even close to final and there still months of development to go. That's why PGR3 looks so out of place.

It's a racing game, those tend to have different requirements. Also who knows if the models were the final ones used, they could have been models from PGR2 for all we know.

All we know for certain is that they don't have anything running on the final hardware. and with one graphics chip in the alpha xdk, it's not doubt you would see better performance on the PS3 dev kit (with two cards in SLI)

jvd said:
Geeforcer said:

NOT REALTIME,FULL OF SH*TTT!!!!

There are two Videos of PGR3 around the web,the first with the
cockpit view,and the second from the E3 17.5.

ALL NOT REALTIME????

If PGR3 does not look as nextgen like the videos,X360 is going down.

Geeforcer said:
jvd said:
Geeforcer said:

Eh, neither of these would be alpha kits, right?

So far, I know for a fact of 3 games that were shown real-time, in game at some point:

PDZ, Kameo and Top Spin. All 3 looked rather substandard, which is not suprising considering that hardware is not even close to final and there still months of development to go. That's why PGR3 looks so out of place.
well i don't own a alpha kit .

I also don't know how many steps there are in each phase . They could have alpha 5 kits

Anyway elder scrolls was real time too.

Tacitblue said:
Yeah, nice to see they've got some good voice talent on that game too... Patrick Stewart is the king?
they are saynig its just for the trailer but who knows .

i really liked morrowind just wish there was more direction. Hopefully this one brings that

jvd said:
Tacitblue said:
Yeah, nice to see they've got some good voice talent on that game too... Patrick Stewart is the king?
they are saynig its just for the trailer but who knows .

Noticed that too, pretty cool if he does the entire part. :)

So if a X800 is more or less equal to a 6800

And r500 have more or less 4X the filtrate and 10X the geometry

And RSX is equal to 2,5X 6800

How RSX>R500

My ideas is that it would be better at 720p than any other, but a lot worst in anything higer.

Correct me please

Well .

From what i can gather the rsx is more powerfull . It has more fillrate and it seems to have more shader power .

But we don't know how efficent it is .

It could be that the r500 will be able to achieve 90% of its peak performance because of the edram or the design while the rsx can only achieve 80% . Which could bring them into line with each other .

We also don't know which texture compresions the two will have .

The r500 may have new texture compresions . It should also have 3dc which we don't nkow if the rsx has it

Look I don't know GPUs inside out. What I do know is you just can't compare one future GPU to another future GPU from the their past setups.
Both of these GPUs are custom built for a console expirence so no what you said doesn't apply pc999.

Sorry.
________
Volcano Review

Last edited by a moderator:
Back