Quick question= So what is 1080p anyway?

phenix

Regular
Sony says PS3 supports 1080p but what is it really? Is it 1080p24, 1080p25 or 1080p30. 24, 25, 30 being frames displayed per second.
AFAIK There is no such thing as 1080p60. Not at least in broadcasting world but it is possible in this case.
Any ideas?

phenix said:
Sony says PS3 supports 1080p but what is it really? Is it 1080p24, 1080p25 or 1080p30. 24, 25, 30 being frames displayed per second.
AFAIK There is no such thing as 1080p60. Not at least in broadcasting world but it is possible in this case.
Any ideas?
1080p60 is possible. In theory. Though things are not too clear about that. I'm not even sure there are any displays capable of 1080p60.

I'd assume they are using 1080p30. The games using that crazy res won't be running very fast anyway so i guess it's a safe assumption.

OR it could be that the RSX will render at 1080p internally all the time, and scale down/apply AA depending on the need.

But i'm very open to corrections, we know nothing yet.

Your second and third sectence are incompatible. ;)

If everything is internaly rendered at 1080p, than the UT2007 realtime demo was running at that res as well and if I remember correctly, they sayd it was running at 60Hz and it looked damn good.

Fredi

McFly said:
Your second and third sectence are incompatible. ;)

If everything is internaly rendered at 1080p, than the UT2007 realtime demo was running at that res as well and if I remember correctly, they sayd it was running at 60Hz and it looked damn good.

Fredi

I know i contraddicted myself, i realised it when i read the message back... Err...

Ok let's read that as a either/or kind of statement ;)

phenix said:
I think the RSX will render at 1080p internally all the time, and scale down/apply AA depending on the need.

im no tech-head but i think its more of a "im as much HD-Era as you" move by Sony to MS.

just like the Xbox was able to render at 1080i, very few games will actually use it (and very few TVs for that matter).

720p is the new standard for next-gen consoles, other than that i feel like its more of a nice thing to write in your spec sheet that anything else. i dont see the need for a 1080p render then downscale process.

twisted-txb said:
phenix said:
I think the RSX will render at 1080p internally all the time, and scale down/apply AA depending on the need.

im not tech-head but i think its more of a "im as much HD-Era as you" move by Sony to MS.

just like the Xbox was able to render at 1080i, very few games will actually use it (and very few TVs for that matter).

720p is the new standard for next-gen consoles, other than that i feel like its more of a nice thing to write in your spec sheet that anything else.

(refer to the bolded sentence) I never said that wasn't the case, but the point of the thread is not that is it?

All HDTVs (or most anyway) nowadays display 1080i and 720p, some are exclusive to either one of them though and will scale the signal accordingly.

As it stands now, rendering at 1080p would lock the framerate to 30. Developers might want to go for 60fps so they'll use 1080i or 720p instead.

In the end, 720p should be the minimum next gen and i'm VERY happy with that.

Let's leave the "But Sony did that only to counter MS's PR" kind of discussions in the other threads, this is a bit more technical.

london-boy said:
I'd assume they are using 1080p30. The games using that crazy res won't be running very fast anyway so i guess it's a safe assumption.
That would probably mean all games have to run @ 30fps, not really likely. But as you said we don't know much yet.

EDIT, sorry i didn't read the response to your message ;)

NocturnDragon said:
london-boy said:
That would probably mean all games have to run @ 30fps, not really likely. But as you said we don't know much yet.

EDIT, sorry i didn't read the response to your message ;)

(DISCLAIMER: All a big IF!!)

Well, internal rendering at 1080p doesn't mean the framerate will be locked.
There is no 1080P60 standard yet so it's only a video output problem. Internally PS3 could be rendering 1080p at 120fps, it's just that there is no TV yet capable of displaying that much information.
So, internal rendering at 1080p at 60fps, output to choose from is 720p60, 1080i60 and 1080p30 (until we know more about 1080p60)...

This is all speculation of course, but i think it could work.

They were pretty clear regarding framerate on the conference. Jen-Hsun Huang:

"Our goal with the PlayStation 3 graphics is overcome this fundamental limit and bring movie quality graphics at 60 frames per second"

VNZ said:
They were pretty clear regarding framerate on the conference. Jen-Hsun Huang:

"Our goal with the PlayStation 3 graphics is overcome this fundamental limit and bring movie quality graphics at 60 frames per second"

But as it stands, no TV will display 1080p60.

I think the most used will be 1080i60, don't know about the US, but here all Sony's HDTVs are all about 1080i and all the info is about "how much better 1080i is over 720p"...

Megadrive1988 said:
the original public specification for Playstation3 called for

4000 x 2000 at upto 120 fps which is well beyond 1080p60

http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG19991006S0040

"Supported res" of course.

Like our PC graphics cards can display crazy resolutions. But when playing games, things will be much lower than that. 720p/1080i will be just fine.
If PS3 renders 1080p internally all the time, we'll also get some nice supersampling thrown in for free.

Was i the only one who noticed absolutely NO word on AA from the Sony conference? They mentioned everything but that... mmmm

Regarding to display technologies available and will be available in near future I dont see 1080p30 to be a niche product. 1080i60 displays are becoming more and more widespread and in one year time I would guess they will be really common. Most of these displays which are capable of 1080i60 should be potentially (!) capable of displaying 1080p30 too. The banddwith requirement of these two standards would be virtually identical isn't it? Am I wrong?

phenix said:
The banddwith requirement of these two standards would be virtually identical isn't it? Am I wrong?

The bandwith is the same, the resolution aint - 1080i displays only even or odd lines - 540 at any time. At least thats how its done with regular PAL/NTSC Formats

Npl said:
phenix said:
The banddwith requirement of these two standards would be virtually identical isn't it? Am I wrong?

The bandwith is the same, the resolution aint - 1080i displays only even or odd lines - 540 at any time. At least thats how its done with regular PAL/NTSC Formats

That's correct. A TV will have to specifically support 1080p. Just because 1080p30 used the same amount of bandwidth as 1080i60 doesn't mean that the TV will be able to display it.

In fact, you can rest assured that if a TV can even remotely display a 1080p signal, you'd know about it cause it would be all over the specs. In the absence of a big 1080p sticky, the TV will most likely only be able to display 1080i.

This whole 1080p@60fps thing bothers me, because it seems that accurate information is hard to find, If display can show 1080p in progressive, why is it so hard to make it 60hz?, I mean my monitor can do it. do these same restrictions apply to tv's also, since I understood that these restrictions are mainly because of broadcasting limits?. Does tv's, or projectors have some sort of bandwith limits. I do understand that when I up the resolution on my pc the refresh rate drops, but I think that making a display that is cabable of showing 1080p at 60hz is not very hard.

Dr Evil said:
This whole 1080p@60fps thing bothers me, because it seems that accurate information is hard to find, If display can show 1080p in progressive, why is it so hard to make it 60hz?, I mean my monitor can do it. do these same restrictions apply to tv's also, since I understood that these restrictions are mainly because of broadcasting limits?. Does tv's, or projectors have some sort of bandwith limits. I do understand that when I up the resolution on my pc the refresh rate drops, but I think that making a display that is cabable of showing 1080p at 60hz is not very hard.

It's not that it's hard, but much like it took a while to get 720p or 1080i TVs, it will take a while to get 1080p ones. It's not that it's difficult, it's just that so far there is no 1080p60 standard therefore no TVs that can display 1080p60.

I'm sure DemoCoder will be able to clarify this, he seems to know a lot about impossibly expensive equipment, having 8 120" HDTVs in his house. :devilish:

Dr Evil said:

Its not that the technology can't do it, because they can, its just the standard 1080p@60 is in the process to be added to the others. There are so many standards for digital that it makes NTSC and PAL looks pretty unified :LOL:

Beside, its the same argument PS2 been getting, about rendering half field with half height frame buffer. There is still an advantage to render it internally at full frame than output it to interlace displace if needed.

Back