What's the actual scale (size) of the nextgen consoles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qroach

Veteran
There's obviously some incorrect data going around about the actual console sizes (scale). Someone posted this picture on the internet, and the scale is totally wrong.

sizes.jpg

Xbox 360 is NOT bigger then the PS2. The impression I got from some of the photo's out there released by sony, is that the PS3 is bigger then the PS2 when standing upright.

sce03.jpg
e3-2005-ps3-official-20050516053247390.jpg

1115927661.jpg

Can anyone find the actual system dimensions for the PS3 anywhere?

As pointed out earlier, the author of the renders scaled the machines by using the size of the power socket as a reference. So the question is - 'are the back pictures of the X360/PS3 fake?'

Logically, as long as the pictures are not tampered with, using that socket IS a legit reference.

X360 also isn't that small either. During the MTV unveiling, GAF compared the official dimensions of both XBox and X360. X360 is smaller - but not by much.

Anyway the public can see for themselves once E3 is open, right?

EDIT: Come to think of it, if anyone is really burning to figure this out, verify this yourself! Go to XBox/Sony sites and grab images of the back. Then do your own resizing with paintbrush/whatever using the power socket as a reference.

You'd only need to scale the xbox360 1.1x bigger than it actually is in Photoshop or some other app, to make it appear much larger compared to the others.

You'd probably even wouldnt notice the slight 1.1x differences in size of the power sockets, as in smaller details the increase isn't that noticeable, but the scaling does make the whole unit appear considerably larger.

Or you could scale the power socket back 0.9x and it would look perfect!

Haha... that picture is all wrong. IGN did a comparison but I'm not sure where they got their numbers from.

That said both Xbox 360 and PS3 are pretty big. Xbox 360 is slightly smaller than the original Xbox though.

Right, I've just done a quick Photoshop edit of this image to make the X360 power socket fill that split section of case, which would kinda make sense to me (when you zoom right in on the original version of this comparison it looks like that area's been edited already) and then re-sized to suit.

Doesn't this look like a more likely comparison (bear in mind there's no way to accurately scale the two PS2 variants)

sizes22en.jpg

I've just make this comparison based upon the size of the CD chargers. I've taken a pair of pixels in the up and down cd hole of the 360, as it has to be. I've calculated the front of rev as if it was vertical.

Clic to enlarge.

You know what kinda bugs me about PS3...

With that curdy top i won't be able to put DVD/Games cases on there!! I won't be able to put anything on there or it will fall off! :devilish:

Vaan said:

that feels right.

the PS3 looked about the same size as the XB360 when that Japanese guy was holding the console in its hands during the Sony conference.

but the Rev felt a bit smaller tho. ;)

Vaan said:
I've just make this comparison based upon the size of the CD chargers.
Heh, I used the same pictures and the same criteria to arrive at the same conclusion: they're roughly the same size.

And the Revo's design puts both to shame. :)

Jon Brittan said:
Right, I've just done a quick Photoshop edit of this image to make the X360 power socket fill that split section of case, which would kinda make sense to me (when you zoom right in on the original version of this comparison it looks like that area's been edited already) and then re-sized to suit.

Doesn't this look like a more likely comparison (bear in mind there's no way to accurately scale the two PS2 variants)

sizes22en.jpg

You are probably correct in terms of what the size actually is (especially with the verification from vaan), but the ethernet port looks way too small in your picture now. Perhaps the USB socket isn't supposed to be there and that whole area is for the ethernet port?

Nite_Hawk

does anyone know the actual physical dimensions of the PS2? becuase in that picture the xbox 360 is looling like it's the same size as the current xbox in relation to the PS2.

Qroach said:
does anyone know the actual physical dimensions of the PS2? becuase in that picture the xbox 360 is looling like it's the same size as the current xbox in relation to the PS2.

12"(L) x 7"(W) x 4"(H)

My understanding is that PS3 is larger than X2, by a number of inches in at least one dimension.

Nite_Hawk said:
but the ethernet port looks way too small in your picture now. Perhaps the USB socket isn't supposed to be there and that whole area is for the ethernet port?
No, the ethernet socket shares space with the USB ports. It's like that on all the images of the x360, just check 'em out yourself...

Guden Oden said:
Nite_Hawk said:
but the ethernet port looks way too small in your picture now. Perhaps the USB socket isn't supposed to be there and that whole area is for the ethernet port?
No, the ethernet socket shares space with the USB ports. It's like that on all the images of the x360, just check 'em out yourself...

The original image appears to be much more correctly scaled then given the size of rj-45 port both in relation to the rj-45 port on the PS3, and in relation to the power connector on the xbox360. On the other hand, if the connector just below the rj-45 port is supposed to be a DVI connector, it seems way too big in the original image.

I'm not really sure what to think at this point.

Nite_Hawk

The original image has a lot of space below the power socket which doesn't fit the design. It looks like it's been artificially stretched. The second attempts show the power socket more neatly positioned and I believe these are the true images. matching any port between platforms in size should produce the same results

Shifty Geezer said:
The original image has a lot of space below the power socket which doesn't fit the design. It looks like it's been artificially stretched. The second attempts show the power socket more neatly positioned and I believe these are the true images. matching any port between platforms in size should produce the same results

Aha. I sse what you mean. I didn't notice that. So in the first picture somebody has shrunk the size of the power plug on purpose so that when they scale up each image (based on the power supply size) it makes the Xbox360 look bigger.

Sneaky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back