Is KillZone footage prerendered or realtime?

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Seeing as this topic has invaded every third thread it seems, maybe moving it to it's own separate thread would release up some other threads to stay on topic?

I've heard some people who no people who have worked on the CGI rendering of KZ. I've have now heard of someone who met someone who worked on the in-game engine that produced that movie. Even the 'Insiders' can't agree.

Personally I guess it's a mix of realtime engine assembled offline, like Heavenly Sword perhaps. Visuals seem too good to be true, but if the engine were running 10 fps, maybe it's possible, and uprated to 30/60 fps?

AGAIN!!!?

It was prerendered. It might have had "restrictions" to make it look like something a PS3 can do, and apparetnly it was a rushed job (would explain some of the errors). But it wasn't running in realtime.

Obviously Sony couldn't just make an FMV and make it look perfect like FFTSW, so it's safe to assume they kept things restricted not to wind us up too much. Just enough to make us drool a little bit.

In the end, since there is no PS3 yet (The GPU isn't even done yet), nothing shown was running on the hardware, so we'll have to see how much better or worse things will look like as time goes on.

Even the "realtime" demos weren't running on final hardware, just on devkits with Cell and 2 6800U SLI.

As i said, it doesn't matter whether Killzone was realtime or not, i'm pretty sure we'll get gaems later on in PS3 life that will be close to that video.

I think it's CGI. That's the impression I get from people in the know plus it just looks so much better than anything else that has been shown. The modelling and animation is unrivaled, the render quality is unrivaled, the scope is unrivaled. I don't see how Guerilla Games can manage a demo like this in realtime when Polyphony Digital only had time to port GT4 and Insomniac's game looks like something that could be out on PC.

It reminded me of the first time I played MOHAA, crossed with what the UE3 can really do already. My only two concerns are 1) the first killzone doesn't instill confidence 2) As a result of 1 I'm not sure if we will ever see this game in a form that resembles its current showing.

Although in its favour I will say that HL2 was purley scripted and a total mess at one E3, and then a nearly complete almost ready product by the next. I think this can and will be done, but not anytime soon.

So I got some answers...

My friend works at Axis, an animation studio in the UK ( http://www.axisanimation.com ) It is the same studio that created the first Killzone's rendered cinematics (they've got a BAFTA award for it).

Here's what he can officially say:
- The trailer was made to the specification of the next-generation hardware and is representative of the look and feel of the actual game.
- Axis has provided the content, models and animation for the trailer. These have been made to fit the specification of the game and are intended to be used in the game.

That's all he's allowed to say. Interpret it as you will.

Laa-Yosh said:
So I got some answers...

My friend works at Axis, an animation studio in the UK ( http://www.axisanimation.com ) It is the same studio that created the first Killzone's rendered cinematics (they've got a BAFTA award for it).

- The trailer was made to the specification of the next-generation hardware and is representative of the look and feel of the actual game.
- Axis has provided the content, models and animation for the trailer. These have been made to fit the specification of the game and are intended to be used in the game.

Hehe i was right! They made the video with restrictions according to the projected final specs of PS3!!! I'm teh geenioos!!11 ;)

london-boy said:
Laa-Yosh said:
So I got some answers...

Hehe i was right! They made the video with restrictions according to the projected final specs of PS3!!! I'm teh geenioos!!11 ;)

Genipenios!... err

But yeah this is great news if true.

Another important note: he cannot confirm, nor deny, if it's prerendered or realtime.

london-boy said:
sytaylor said:
But yeah this is great news if true.

Heh, only great news if the "projected final performance" turns out the "sustained final performance" of PS3 when the thing is released. ;)

Projected performance can often disapoint thats true, but its in the hands of the devs on this one IMO, the PS3 has the powah!

So the models, texturing and animation (just model animation or the complete cut and direction of the demo?) were supplied by Axis?
Doesn't yet confirm it wasn't rendered and ran real-time on PS3 (prototype)hardware ;)

Those studios do also just modelling, textures and animation routines for games, not just complete prerendered cgi.
Maybe Axis did the art content and Guerilla put them together in PS3 devkit to be run realtime.

That explanation at least would tie together the two conflicting rumours. The one where it was said someone had met someone working at Guerilla and he'd confirmed it's pretty much all "real", and the other where a friend of someone who works for Axis had said they's supplied the contnent.

It's obviously offline rendered. There's just no way Guerilla Games have been able to put together a renderer of this quality when nothing else comes even close.

I might have to view them again, but I didn't see much in Killzone rendering that wasn't also done in the other, confirmed realtime demos.

It's direction, animation (in parts) and cutting did stand out from the crowd though.

Edit: Oh yes, and the High Dynamic Range Lighting does make a difference compared to this gen, at times it looks like that's the feature that's mostly responsible for the impressiveness of the demos.

cybamerc said:
It's obviously offline rendered. There's just no way Guerilla Games have been able to put together a renderer of this quality when nothing else comes even close.

Agreed on the first part, it has to be prerendered, but so is Motorstorm has anybody else seen it in high guality, I think it was atleast as impressive as the killzone video and clearly not in realtime.

Back