Next Gen Nokia ?

roninja said:
Can we assume Nokia are using MBX for these screen shots - OMAP 2420 perhaps?

Dunno, no comment, <shrug>, etc...

Just because I post something it does not necessarily mean something cough Rob-Evans cough... just posted it since it had not yet shown up and its related to Handheld 3D.

K-

Kristof said:
roninja said:

Just because I post something it does not necessarily mean something cough Rob-Evans cough... just posted it since it had not yet shown up and its related to Handheld 3D.

K-

LOL!! Fair enough!

However, that video certainly doesn't look like software 3D to me, and since Nokia series 60 use TI OMAP processors, I don't think it is a massive leap to conclude that the video came from an OMAP2420 (with MBX+VGP).

I'd be interested to hear any altenative explanation.

Rob.

Kristof said:
Happy hunting :LOL:

Ok - credit to illogig on iii

From http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1817518,00.asp

Nokia also announced that a redesigned N-Gage will be announced this fall. This "next-generation gaming platform" launch will include devices, content and partners. But the existing QD will not be phased out—the company plans on selling it through 2007 and beyond.

The platform will be built around a refreshed Texas Instruments OMAP chip set, delivering what Nokia described as real 3D graphics in a handheld platform. The video demonstration of that performance was impressive, albeit obviously canned.

Now tell me that they aren't referring to the OMAP2420! :D

Rob.

Nokia announced an announcement then?

I'm rather hoping Nokia is using an unnanounced OMAP 2 chip with a higher clocked MBX. OMAP 2420's 330MHz ARM11 + 220MHz DSP + 50MHz MBX/VGP seems a little VPU light for a gaming platform, as TI have (allegedly) shown MBX at 200MHz on (afaik) the same 90nm process.

Anyway, cute demo, and seems to compare favourably to PSP in terms of performance. Now, if Nokia can get the ergonomics, screen, battery life right, maybe they can stop people laughing at them.

Image quality looked high.

MBX should help with the battery life part, at least. It seems like Nokia might be making the next generation N-Gage into a platform to be used across multiple models of their phones as opposed to a particular game machine like before.

So it's official then?

Ngage 2 MBX powered!

Hopefully they use the 200Mhz version of 2420 that they showed at ISSCC.

TEXAN said:
So it's official then?

Ngage 2 MBX powered!

Did they actually show anything @200MHz or are the cores in question just being worked on currently in the fab?

Kristof said:
roninja said:

K-

Nothing comes for free in 3D (Kristof Beets(tm))

Nothing coming from a company representative is a coincidence (AiL(tm))

*snicker* :LOL:

TEXAN said:
So it's official then?

Ngage 2 MBX powered!

nothing is official until you have it in your hand. (PoorBastard's soul that has been f*cked up by too much hype forehand(tm.))

until there's press release in Nokia / PowerVR / Texas Instruments -site, I'd say it is most likely to have MBX. (but that's still quite far from being official.)

Ailuros said:
TEXAN said:
So it's official then?

Ngage 2 MBX powered!

Did they actually show anything @200MHz or are the cores in question just being worked on currently in the fab?

The MBX in the OMAP2420 (silicon was shown at ISSCC) was in 90nm and clocked at 200 MHz. Area is around 10mm^2.

Who in the mobile space has shown pixel shading in real silicon?

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20500&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

They need to have a landscape view model out at release ... it would be a shame if they dug themselves into the vertical screen hole of suckiness with this platform. If such a model isnt out at release then for reasons of compatibility it would seem unlikely to happen after the fact.

Listen to that concept artist Nokia!

Back