Playstation 3 e3 thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but they were just screens. There never was a video demoed of original Getaway that was of the same quality ;)

Almost everybody lies in game screenshots even today whan the consoles have been on market for years.
Screenshots of today's games ~20% better than actual gameplay.

cybamerc said:
ManuVlad3.0 said:
About Killzone Demo - From John Davision blog - 1Up
Anyone remember the first Getaway screens? Never trust these people.

In their defense, the first Getaway screens were just impossibly hi-res and with copious amounts of AA. Much like most others after that. They must have started the trend.
But really, everything else was in the game, just at lower res and no AA, but with lots more on screen.

jvd said:
We can wait for confirmation on if its really real time or not and see what comes out for the system when it does.

Unless you really believe the marketing hype . Which i'm sure you do

Come on, man. You're a mod. Was that necessary?

And personally, I'd be surprised - very surprised - if most of the KZ trailer wasn't CGI. But we don't know, and some reports suggest that some of it is real, if not most of it.

Like you said, we'll just have to wait.

london-boy said:
But really, everything else was in the game, just at lower res and no AA, but with lots more on screen.
Not at all. The first screens had nothing to do with the game. They were created in some 3d app. What they did back then isn't at all comparable to capturing screens at a higher res for the print media.

Someone needs to ask Tim Sweeney if his ut2k7 demo was utilizing the SPE's at all.

Since they are claiming only 2 months of work to port it. I imagine, they only made minor adjustments to get the main program code to run on the PPC. Then rewrote a bunch of shaders in Cg so they could compile them for the RSX.

inefficient said:
Someone needs to ask Tim Sweeney if his ut2k7 demo was utilizing the SPE's at all.

Since they are claiming only 2 months of work to port it. I imagine, they only made minor adjustments to get the main program code to run on the PPC. Then rewrote a bunch of shaders in Cg so they could compile them for the RSX.

The demo they showed was mostly in a very enclosed scene, so i'm not sure to what extent they were using Cell.

The ps2 launched at 39800 yen. So this is a 25% increase. So except Sony to release ps3 at $399??? Considering bought ps2 for ~$700, it might still sale like hotcakes.

Kolgar said:
Heavenly Sword is Deano's? Wow!

For me, that was one of the standouts in PS3's lineup. Looked really good!

Yeah, congrats to him and his team. One of the most beautiful looking PS3 games, up there with Killzone 3. I'll watch this game closely as I plan to buy it.

hupfinsgack said:
Thanks for posting that the 4th (!!!) time; this has been in all PS3 E3 threads...

I apologise profusely if I've offended you.

Send me a stamped addressed envelope and I'll gladly return the 5 seconds of your life I wasted.

Again, my humblest apologies.

cybamerc said:
ManuVlad3.0 said:
About Killzone Demo - From John Davision blog - 1Up
Anyone remember the first Getaway screens? Never trust these people.

Yes, but I remember the fake Halo 2 E3 2003 video and the fake ultra high quality shot for Halo 2. Never trust 'those' people too. Or anyone.

Guerrilla Talk Killzone PS3.

Guerrilla's stunning PLAYSTATION 3 trailer, showing the future of the Killzone series, is the talk of the town here in LA (as well as the Internet at large). We did some digging...

Jan-Bart Van Beek is the Game Director of the PS3 Killzone at Guerrilla Games, and has spent the last few months working on the trailer that really blew the crowd away at Monday's PLAYSTATION 3 unveiling. After a second showing of the trailer at today's SCEE conference received another rapturous round of applause, we caught up with Jan to find out more.

How do you feel about the reaction to the trailer that was shown yesterday?

Jan-Bart: It's been an amazing reception, the rush you get from seeing your own stuff on the big screen like that, and then the reaction to it, it's a big rush, I'm really happy about it.

How long ago did work start on the sequence?

Jan-Bart: We started working on it in late November, and only finished it three days before the show, at the very, very last moment!

It seemed like Killzone, only more so! Is that what we can expect from the finished game?

Jan-Bart: We want to avoid having just Killzone with more beautiful graphics. We want to add a lot more to it than that. So we're adding a lot more character interaction, with the ways they respond to you and how you can react to them. There's a lot more interactions between characters like you see in the trailer, people dragging each other off out of combat and helping each other, giving each other their weapons - a lot more real human interaction, basically.

[Ben Duncan, the game's Producer] It's like with the Alfred Molina demo, the quality of facial animation we can get with the characters means you'll really feel that emotional sense of being part of a unit and fighting together. Characters working together, comrades pulling each other back from the field of battle; that kind of thing is really going to move the genre forward.

There's a great moment where you see an ISA ally take out a Helghan with his rifle butt to save your bacon... is that representative of the kind of sophisticated behavior we'll start seeing in artificial intelligence when PS3 arrives?

Jan-Bart: Yes, totally, it's just the start. Characters will be very aware, very alert to how they might be able to help you. That moment [with the rifle butt] is a good example of how it can add a little visual 'wow' to it all.

Is the Killzone sequence a fair example of what people can expect from realtime gameplay on PLAYSTATION 3?

Jan-Bart: Yeah, it's basically a representation of the look and feel of the game we're trying to make.

Have you found PS3 easy to work with?

JB: Yes, we're really impressed with it. The Cell is amazingly powerful, and the graphics CPU [the RSX, co-developed with Nvidia] in there... it's actually hard to mimic it on our development PCs, we have to see it on the PS3 hardware itself. It's really nice to be working with such powerful hardware.

As yet, high definition TV isn't that widespread, especially in Europe - are you concerned that some players won't get to see your game in as much detail as is intended?

JB: No, I think in two, three years' time, HDTV will be a lot more accepted, in Europe too. We'll start out with 720p and then [onto 1080p] as there's now this product [PS3] that people will want to buy a new TV for.

Thanks, and congratulations on the work.

JB: Thanks! [Beams proudly]

Heh, what else was he gonna say if not "PS3-Cell-RSX is great, the videos shows what u can expect from PS3, PS3 is so easy to program for, but it's not all about graphics"... ;)

Jan-Bart: We started working on it in late November, and only finished it three days before the show, at the very, very last moment!

so they needed 6 months to render and make this CGI or do i misunderstand that?
or they meant that they created a short realtime demo (not necesarely at 60fps but edited to make it 60fps )
I presume they also have a cell based workstation with a 6800ultraSLI setup. since they claim they dont know how it will look on real rsx hardware

hey69 said:

so they needed 6 months to render and make this CGI or do i misunderstand that?
I presume they also have a cell based workstation with a 6800ultraSLI setup. since they claim they dont know how it will look on real rsx hardware

No they probably needed all that time to put it all together. Art, animation, editing, direction. It's quite a long process. The rendering shouldn't take THAT long. Especially seeing how there's nothing fancy going on in the video, in the world of CGI that is. It's in-game assets being rendered offline, there's no raytracing or any other time-consuming stuff going on.

no offcourse the rendering wouldnt take 6 months. ...

still not 100% clear if it is CG or rendered in SLOWMO realtime and sped up to match the RSX speed

hey69 said:
no offcourse the rendering wouldnt take 6 months. ...

still not 100% clear if it is CG or rendered in SLOWMO realtime and sped up to match the RSX speed

From the information gathered by my very own biological CPU, it seems that they used assets that will be used for the game, they restricted the whole thing to match what Sony told them will be the final performance of PS3, and offline-rendered it.

There's no final hardware and unless something like that can run at that speed on a 6800U SLI setup, it's all prerendered.

Acert93 said:
rabidrabbit said:
So, what are the confirmed xbox360 non prerendered demos then, versus PS3 non-prerendered demos?

Can you list 100% sure what in MS conference were actual xbox360 footage?

Realtime: Gears of War, Quake 4, Condemend, PDZ, NBA 2K6 (although they showed near nothing but a single player and cloth animation), Kameo, CoD2 (which looked much better than the MTV spot), Tony Hawk; I also believe DoA4

CGI: Madden (EA claims it will look even better), The Darkness, Godfather

Unknown: PGR3, NFS, Ghost Recon, Saints Row, Full Auto, Tiger Woods

If not, then why you keep pushing it here???

Because it was confirmed a while back that a number of the Sony videos were CGI yet certain people want to dismiss it and say "KZ was awesome MIRACLE MACHINE" blah blah blah?

Of course when Xbox 360 was shown it was "All the good stuff was fake!" Which is not true. GoW looks just like the IQ in UT2007.

What Sony did better was 1. show quality tech demos (MS did none) 2. only show good quality stuff and 3. almost all CGI

MS showed some CGI, a bit of ingame; they also showed the good and the bad. Big mistake. Should have only showed CGI and the top 3 or 4 games imo.

And having read every post in both threads, the Xbox keeps coming up because guys here keep going "All the Xbox games suck, the PS3 games look so much better... KillZone was real time, this or that was real time" etc...

Having watched the Sony presentation they seemed to be quick to say what was CELL and what was RSX and what was realtime--at that, I take it EVERYTHING not mentioned to be one of those was not realtime. ANd so far that seems about right.

Like I said before... I will wait until we see real software running on both FINAL machines before I start making judgements.

^good observation. good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back