Xbox criticised by former Nintendo head

I usually agree with th' old coot, but this time I'm going to have to disagree.

MS is very fortunate to still have the 500K+ unit lead over GCN in the US, but I seriously doubt they'll fail like he says.

If he said that..

CaptainHowdy said:
He is just commenting on the situation in Japan, not elsewhere.

nope..

he didn't restrain the scope of his speech so by default this would be worldwide. how could it be otherwise anyway ? markets are worldwide.

this quote shows that he is not only speaking about the situation in japan:

"- The Xbox is in a state of complete defeat in Japan. The chances of a comeback are close to zero. The odds are against them in North America, too. "

The odds are against them in North America, too.

Ironic then that not only does Xbox have a nice lead over Cube in the States, but that it's actually increased since Nintendo's big games have been released :eek:

I never did put much stock in what Yamauchi said. In fact, I partly blame his terrible attitude for Nintendo's n64 fiasco (in regards to Nintendo's dealings with third-parties during that period).

Well. while Nintendo is doing nice profits, MS looses a lot of money. I guess that is what Mr. Nintendo meant and not the amount of consoles sold.

LOL, I thought it was common knowledge that Yamauchi is nothing but a senile, old fool.

"CD´s ARE EVIL!!!!!! NINTENDO WILL ALWAYS REIGN SUPREME!!!!"

Ha, yeah right. If anything, Nintendo´s conservative and arrogant attitude is his fault.

Heck, he fails to see that Nintendo is also "failing" in Japan.

Nintendo profits from the GBA, but who knows how much money they are making on the GC. If his statements are meant to be worldwide, I think he's seriously wrong. If anything, things couln't get any worse in Japan, and they certainly won't get any worse in North America and europe next year... The game line up for next year is packed full of interesting stuff.

Maybe some of you guys should step back and think a little.

Is yamauchi that crazy?

Do you actually believe that microsoft can use the same PC tactics for consoles? To corner their competition and become "the standard" ? Like yamauchi said, they wont succeed if they go with that method. Customers have a choice in this industry, a new comer always has a chance to carve its market, as long as there's games, the console can end up under timmy's christmas tree.

With japanese developers dropping xbox support like flies (except team ninja of course..), do you think it wont affect xbox on worldwide scale? It will still have its main support from western devs, but why would western developers support a 3rd place platform in a few years from now? Maybe it will still get the games, but multi platforms one, it will get less and less exclusive contents.

Sony and Nintendo are forced to work as close as possible to break-even and need to create profits to stay in business. Microsoft not (console-market-wise). Take away Microsoft's cash reserves and you would have an other 3DO, no sponsored hardware, no Live online-service and no last-minute-blitzkrieg-market-peneration (free game bundles). Microsoft's current success is not earned, it is bought.

Ozymandis said:
The odds are against them in North America, too.

Ironic then that not only does Xbox have a nice lead over Cube in the States, but that it's actually increased since Nintendo's big games have been released :eek:

I never did put much stock in what Yamauchi said. In fact, I partly blame his terrible attitude for Nintendo's n64 fiasco (in regards to Nintendo's dealings with third-parties during that period).

Yea, but Nintendo didnt have to drop its price twice already, then start throwing in 2 free games to do so.

Yea, but Nintendo didnt have to drop its price twice already, then start throwing in 2 free games to do so.

Isn't 3 games ? Halo, Sega GT and JSRF and also DVD kit with Xbox for like $220 ?

V3 said:

Isn't 3 games ? Halo, Sega GT and JSRF and also DVD kit with Xbox for like $220 ?

thats a store specific deal.
the only official deal I am aware of, is the system with JSRF and Sega GT for $199

www.xbox.com.au
That's the pack my friend told me about. The price included tax too. I don't think that's a store deal.

I think the the other pack is older. This would be newer.

Ahh, Im not in Australia, so that one isnt known about here if it is indeed coming here, but even still, thats an act of desperation to just give everything away, when your doing that, the number of units bought loses all bragging rights.

Back