Playstation 3 e3 thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
marconelly! said:
I'm not trying to discredit you or anything, just wanted to post observations of very obvious flaws in that KZ footage that shouldn't be there if it was prerendered. I mentioned shadow glitches and tons of missing shadows (even the basic ones of the characters on the ground) or geometry popup. My best guess is that studio was farmed out to develop models, textures and animation for the whole thing, with imposed limitations (512MB memory restrictions, etc), but the 'rendering' of the produced scene was done using the devkit hardware itself

Nice theory, but wrong in this case.

london-boy said:
Alejux said:
It's funny how KZ is seen as unatainable now by some people. Before it was known to be pre-rendered, almost everyone thought GoW had better quality.

:D

No, PCENGINE did. Everyone else pretty much agreed the Killzone video was way above anything else seen at E3. Quite rightly so, being prerendered and all.

Don't take things out of context dude. I said the characters in GOW seem to have more detail than the soldiers in KZ nothing more nothing less.

Alejux said:
Laa-Yosh said:
Also, as KZ is prerendered, it's safe to assume that other game demos are too.

UT2007 had practically the same rendering quality as KZ, and it was in realtime. FXII tech demo also had an amazing IQ and it was in realtime. Plus you have Fight Night , the duck thing, the London scene in Getaway and a lot of other little things that were done in realtime which pretty much says that having that KZ and the other demos done in realtime is NO impossible feat.

Good point 8)

Which is true to an extent - the normal maps are packed full of detail. KZ characters are relatively simple, but their lighting is far more realistic, as well as the animation, and they have been tesselated to have smooth curves.

Laa-Yosh said:
marconelly! said:
The matter of fact is, KZ and Motor storm demos looked the most impressive of the bunch. Motor Storm also noone seemed to believe was realtime, then the screenshots came out and it became pretty obvious that it was. As for KZ noone has a proof either way. With all due respect I have no idea who you are or how valid your sources are.

Repeat: a friend of mine has been working on the KZ animation in an english studio and he has confirmed that it is prerendered. This is proof enough for me, and certainly more reliable than Sony's marketing (who, by the way, have never said that KZ is realtime!)...
And by the way, he and others in the industry too, have been hinting for months that many next-gen 'demos' are going to be prerendered because the hardware is not yet ready.

And, er, do you have any proof that MotorStorm is realtime?

What's this English studio? I'm interested.

I think the PS3 will be able to produce graphics like this. Do any of you guys think so?

athena_stpete.jpg

I think most of sony's demos thus far have been prerendered, with the exception of heavenly sword (rendered in game but composited offline), EA fight night demo, the final fantasy tech demo, and that's it. Everything else has been an FMV imo.

Qroach said:
I think most of sony's demos thus far have been prerendered, with the exception of heavenly sword (rendered in game but composited offline), EA fight night demo, the final fantasy tech demo, and that's it. Everything else has been an FMV imo.

And the UE3 demo right???

From my understanding, all those "fmv's" were to show what games are in developement for the platform not necessarily to show of the platforms capabilities(thats what the tech demos were for)

There were just that......previews.

mckmas8808 said:
I think the PS3 will be able to produce graphics like this. Do any of you guys think so?

For a static object, you can precompute SSS and occlusion data, save it and then re-use it at rendertime. Thus even your average PC can do it, proven by various techdemos from ATI and/or Nvidia and Epic's UE3 stuff.

The problem is that those calculations can take hours, and you can't make changes to the dataset. So you can't use it for deforming objects (characters) and can't calculate the effects of moving geometry on anything.
Like, a car should cast a soft shadow under itself, which gets sharper near the point where the wheels touch the ground. You could save it as a texture map on a transparent surface, following the car - but then the wheels should not move away from the ground, as their shadow would stay there and break the illusion. Same goes for more complex stuff like mechs, destructable enviroments, etc. etc.

sir doris said:
I thought Unreal Engine was manipulated in real time?

The occlusion data is static, so it's only on static geometry. The rest of the objects do not cast and do not receive such soft shadows, their shadowing is handled by shadow buffers and stencil shadow volumes.

The UE 3 is real time. IT IS!!!

The reason why I asked it could produce it because I saw a statue that was better than it in the upcoming Ubisoft game. Compare.

Killing Day
926994_20050516_screen001.jpg

Statue pic using Depth Map Based Ambient Occlusion Lighting
athena_stpete.jpg

I'm gonna see that killzone vid again, but the char.s in it and the scenery seem comparable in quality to those photos of the real-time Cloud from the ff7 demo, posted in this thread, only with more stuff going on. (I'd say the same about the tekken vid, it's similar to the real-time finalfight one-see vid-, )

ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back