Nintendo e3 thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
apple is using what looks like an advanced for of a heat pipe with water in it . Looks like what sega did

Ooh-videogames said:
Geeforcer said:
Water cooling, at least in the manner it’s currently used in PCs, is not really a space saving feature. You need to store, circulate, and cool the liquid, which requires a reservoir as well as a pump, plumbing and a cooling unit. From the sound of it, X360 has an OTES system which uses water as a thermal conductor.

Actually Apple is using something alot different.

designliquidcool06112004.jpg

Here's a link, http://www.apple.com/powermac/design.html

A lot different? Isn't this almost exactly what I described when I mentioned OTES system with liquid thermal conductor? Or were you referring to the description of the full-fledged pump-driven setup?

Geeforcer said:
Ooh-videogames said:
Geeforcer said:
Water cooling, at least in the manner it’s currently used in PCs, is not really a space saving feature. You need to store, circulate, and cool the liquid, which requires a reservoir as well as a pump, plumbing and a cooling unit. From the sound of it, X360 has an OTES system which uses water as a thermal conductor.

Actually Apple is using something alot different.

designliquidcool06112004.jpg

Here's a link, http://www.apple.com/powermac/design.html

A lot different? Isn't this almost exactly what I described when I mentioned OTES system with liquid thermal conductor? Or were you referring to the description of the full-fledged pump-driven setup?

Yeah, the full fledge pump-driven setup.

kofman said:
not that gung ho about the 4 controller and 2 mem slots... that could have been used for newer connectivity stuff -- ala ps3's multitude of USB ports, sd, CF, etc. Why not do 4 usb ports and sell adaptors for controllers and mem cards. More money in peripherals and fine for those that don't need the GC controllers.

legacy is fine and well but don't do it at the expense of progression... especially since real estate is so precious with a console of that size

At least, they'll support SD-cards this time arround.

jvd said:
apple is using what looks like an advanced for of a heat pipe with water in it . Looks like what sega did

Yup, wasn't this in DC? Calling XBox360 water cooled is a bit of a stretch from the usually accepted definition.

Teasy said:
Just been having a think back to GameCube's release. Can people here remember what Nintendo showed of GC in E3 2000? At that time PS2 had just released in Japan and it was around 16 months before GC was released. So the situation was similar to this current E3. Not only didn't they even officially announce GC at E3 2000 but they didn't announce any games for it and certainly didn't show a case design or talk about other features of the system. So in fact we got far more next gen talk from Nintendo at E3 2005 18 months before Revolution then we did at E3 2000 16 months before GC.

quest55720 said:
I think nintendo did the right and smart thing by focusing on thier current hardware. Especially if ATI or IBM came up with something special. They can hit sony hard next year at E3. Can you imagine next E-3 nintendo anouncing specs that beat out the PS3? Sony will be locked in and will not be able to do anything about it. Why in gods name would nintendo list off specs 18 months in advance and hurt sales today. I did not see MS or sony list specs at last years E-3. I love that I can get the any game in the nintendo library with a click of a button. Also free online play of the DS sounds pretty damn good also. Even though I have a PSP I think the GBmicro is a must purchase.

I still don't see any argument that can be made for nintendo showing NEXT GEN specs. If the anounced today it would of gotten lost in the wash of Sony's hype machine. If they anounce at a later date they can have the spotlight to themselves. Look at MS they got rocked monday by Sony and thier hype machine. Nintendo also is in a war with sony over the handheld market. Fighting off the PSP at this time and date is more important than some NEXT GEN launch 18 months from now. Nintendo should be pushing thier current stuff that will put money into thier pockets right now. I know profits are over rated on the internet but squeazing another profitable year out of the GC would be huge. Going up against the sony hype machine is like getting in the ring with Ali in his prime. You are just going to be trash talked humiliated and KOed infront of the world just ask sega and MS. I guarentee the rev will be much more embraced anounced at a latter time and date with out PS3 hype in thier face.

I've been thinking about their show too and I've finally come to the conclusion that they took the perfect route. It's just too early to release alot of information right now considering Revolution won't be available for a whole year and it's specs probably haven't even been locked down yet. In fact it would be stupid and a waste of resources to battle MS and SONY right now with just mere words. You don't want to hype up a machine today then say "oh you'll have to wait a year to buy it". :LOL:

kofman said:
revo_7l.jpg

revo_6l.jpg

revo_8l.jpg

new pics of the system, and it looks sweeeet. Very slick.

I can see Nintendo's strategy now, something smaller and more cost effective. Appealing for gamers who want to pick up a second system to complement their 360/ps3.

hopefully the hardware is up to snuff.

Also the thing I like about the stand is the fact it is at an incline, gives it much more personality. Anyway they're still missing one color though, well it's not really a color but more of a mirror finish. 8)

pana1_09.jpg

Ty said:
Really like the white version. Seems everyone this generation is copying the PS2's vertical stance.

I think when it's layed down flat (horizontally) it looks like a VCR that's upside down though. Much neater in the stand.

And PS2's vertical stance copied PC-FX console, and PC-FX copied PC minitowers. ;)

Ty said:
Teasy said:
Which was also much smaller then its competitors BTW.

Have you seen the PCB for a PS2 (old one, not the new one). It's pretty small - no where near the size of the case itself. That said, I'm sure the GCN is smaller, just that the PS2 may not be as large as you think.

But you can't just argue about size without factoring in the huge heatsink the PS2 requires. The PS2's PCB could be the size of a postage stamp for all we know but if the cooling system requires a massive HSF, then PCB size is pretty much irrelevent.

Natoma said:
I wonder if the wavebird gc controller will be compatible with the revolution....

Yes it will, but you'll probably still need to attach the wireless transceiver to the controller port as I don't think it'll be directly cross compatible with Revolution's wireless controller protocol. Personally I wish Revolution's wireless controller protocol works with Wavebirds out of the box. This way you can keep that lid closed.

Ooh-videogames said:
How advance is water cooling technology in its present state of implementation?

For small form factors like notebook computers and Revolution, there are already compact water cooling solutions in use.

This system from NEC uses a micro piezoelectric fluid pump and the cooling solution is hermetically sealed so no leaks. It's designed for 4U racks and notebook computers. It's cooling performance is 80W and fairly quiet at 30dB. I believe Fujitsu also has a water cooled notebook computer on the market that doesn't use a fan.

1811_super.jpg

PC-Engine said:
I've been thinking about their show too and I've finally come to the conclusion that they took the perfect route. It's just too early to release alot of information right now considering Revolution won't be available for a whole year and it's specs probably haven't even been locked down yet. In fact it would be stupid and a waste of resources to battle MS and SONY right now with just mere words. You don't want to hype up a machine today then say "oh you'll have to wait a year to buy it". :LOL:

Except. Nintendo said repeatedly that they would NOT be late to the party this time.

How many times will they do this to you guys? It just doesn't inspire confidence, which is why a million Nintendo fans yesterday nearly committed suicide by throwing themselves on the styluses of their DSes. Or trying to clamp the machine over their noses to cut off their breathing. Anyway - it was pretty dire.

My question is: Why are they late? Why don't they have it together? DID they have something, but changed it last-minute? (Is that the reason their conference started 45 minutes late, or was Reggie out walking a Nintendog?)

I've been watching them for 20 years, and when it comes to hardware launches, they just can't seem to get their crap together.

Kolgar said:
I've been watching them for 20 years, and when it comes to hardware launches, they just can't seem to get their crap together.
Not sure what you mean by launch. This wasn't one. DS launch was handled very well. So was the unveiling if you look past the case design.

Reggie said a while ago that this E3 wouldn't be the Revolutions coming out party. You can argue if they were better off showing nothing at all but this wasn't a full unveiling and wasn't meant to be. If you look at the Revolution prototype it has a Revolution logo on it. But Revolution isn't the final name. Nintendo didn't change any plans. They didn't pull any info or any demos. The fact that they showed that horrible Metroid footage proves that.

Sure, right, OK - the DS launch was fine. Name me another Nintendo hardware launch (and not one of the many "GameBoy Super Plus Pokemon Edition in Yellow" ones, either) that went off on time and smoothly.

The fact is, Nintendo said they would not be late. They are. If they weren't, this WOULD have been a coming-out party.

So which is it? They didn't know what they were talking about then, or they suddenly dropped the ball now?

Kolgar said:
The fact is, Nintendo said they would not be late.
How is that a fact? Has Nintendo announced a release date? Do you know what their internal projections are?

They are. If they weren't, this WOULD have been a coming-out party.
Ah yes. I forgot that E3 is the only event where you are allowed to announce a new system.

Revolution in 2007 then!!1 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Perrin Kaplan said Nintendo would not be late.

You seem to think that they are not. But there's a problem here.

GC's dying. And when your existing console is fading fast as GC is, shouldn't you be ready to show a little bit more of your next-gen offering?

We didn't get specs, nor screens. Just: "And the final product will be even smaller." "And when you see the graphics, you will say wow."

You and I may not agree, but this suggests to me that they are behind.

N64 died a quick death, didn't hurry Nintendo up one iota with the Gamecube.

I'm sick of hearing Nintendo words about how things will be different, but no action.

Their console design is a step in the right direction though.

Kolgar said:
Perrin Kaplan said Nintendo would not be late.

You seem to think that they are not. But there's a problem here.

GC's dying. And when your existing console is fading fast as GC is, shouldn't you be ready to show a little bit more of your next-gen offering?

We didn't get specs, nor screens. Just: "And the final product will be even smaller." "And when you see the graphics, you will say wow."

You and I may not agree, but this suggests to me that they are behind.

I think the problem is you're imagining things. ;)

It's funny that you gloss over the fact the console won't be available until at least a year. There's no point in releasing screens and specs now, there's plenty of time to do that next year.

not that gung ho about the 4 controller and 2 mem slots... that could have been used for newer connectivity stuff -- ala ps3's multitude of USB ports, sd, CF, etc

Revolution does have SD and USB. But I really like the GC pad connectors myself, that way there's no need to buy adaptors, we shouldn't really complain about that :)

Kolgar

Nintendo said they wouldn't be late this generation compared to the market leader. Last time they came out over a year after the market leader, which won't happen this time.

Teasy said:
Kolgar

Nintendo said they wouldn't be late this generation compared to the market leader. Last time they came out over a year after the market leader, which won't happen this time.

Ooooh "compard to the market leader"!! Missed that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back