Nintendo e3 thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think nintendo did the right and smart thing by focusing on thier current hardware. Especially if ATI or IBM came up with something special. They can hit sony hard next year at E3. Can you imagine next E-3 nintendo anouncing specs that beat out the PS3? Sony will be locked in and will not be able to do anything about it. Why in gods name would nintendo list off specs 18 months in advance and hurt sales today. I did not see MS or sony list specs at last years E-3. I love that I can get the any game in the nintendo library with a click of a button. Also free online play of the DS sounds pretty damn good also. Even though I have a PSP I think the GBmicro is a must purchase.

Teasy, didn't Nintendo reveal that "mature" Link CGI at E3 of 2000? I thought that was then.... it caused quite an uproar too...

Yeah that video was from Spaceworld 2000 (where GC was finally unveiled, to a degree anyway) around 4 months after E3. E3 2000 itself was almost totally GC free though. I suppose if Nintendo follow a similar route then we might just see a Spaceworld show in 5 months time with a more detailed Revolution unveiling.

quest55720 said:
I think nintendo did the right and smart thing by focusing on thier current hardware. Especially if ATI or IBM came up with something special. They can hit sony hard next year at E3. Can you imagine next E-3 nintendo anouncing specs that beat out the PS3?
It ain't going to happen. They mentioned the console will be even smaller (or might be even smaller) when it ships.

It's already tiny compared to Xbox 360 and PS3.

Plus, Nintendo's been downplaying the importance of power/technology/specs in favor of "what you do with it"/the content.

All of those should be extremely strong indicators of Nintendo's design philosophy.

Revolution is going to be anything but a beefy console.

Plus, Nintendo's been downplaying the importance of power/technology/specs in favor of "what you do with it"/the content.

They did the same before they released GameCube.

Which was also much smaller then its competitors BTW.

Although I definitely don't expect Rev to be more powerful then PS3, then again I never did.

Teasy said:
You mean just like they did before they released GC?

Which was also much smaller then its competitors BTW.

Although I definitely don't expect Rev to be more powerful then PS3, that's for sure.
That's exactly what I mean. And it can't compete with Xbox from a hardware perspective, either.

Though I do agree, they're acting a lot like they did with the GC. It'll cost them even more marketshare.

But if you think Revolution is going to be in a similar situation technically as GC was this gen then what's the problem? GC was more powerful then PS2 and close enough to XBox to have some of the best looking games this generation. So then Revolution would be more powerful then XBox 360 and close enough to PS3 to compete with its best looking games. I don't think GC's power was a problem this generation (it has some of the best looking games released this gen). The case design was one of the problems though (cute and colourful) and that's be rectified AFAICS.

I think you're grossly underestimating the power of the Xbox 360 and overestimating the power of the PS3.

The R500 is remarkably efficient, I'd reckon that its efficiency, combined with the EDRAM, will put it above the GPU in the PS3.

I also am certain (certain...) that the Cell isn't as beefy as you think it is in most situations.

It's great for vectorized code, but rather subpar for non. The 360 is balanced and great at both.

My prediction:

Revolution < PS3 < Xbox 360 in terms of extracting real-world performance.

Bump this post in a ~year, you'll see I'm right.

If it's going to be even smaller than what was shown, I would be really suprised if it would be more powerful than X360 overall, it doesn't seem to be the goal Nintendo is pushing... They have something else in mind, where big power is probably not needed, I'm not saying that it will be a pushover, but I think it's going to be the least powerfull machine... I mean look how small it is :) ;) .

Glonk

Yeah which system is going to be faster is always arguable of course. I'm just applying the same formula as this generation since we're mirroring Rev with GC. As in this gen PS2 released first and GC/XBox released a year later. With PS2 being the weakest, then GC, then XBox. Next gen XBox 360 releases first and Rev/PS3 releases a year later. The result may not be exactly the same. But if we agree that Nintendo are taking the same technical stance with Rev as they did with GC then it should be similar at least. As in Rev should be competetive with the other two consoles.

I think they're emphasizing power even less this time. They seem to think it plateaued and the most important part is focusing on pricepoint (cost) and how it's used.

Nintendo's admittedly conservative estimates for Gamecube still put it way more than "2 to 3 times faster" than the N64.

Glonk said:
I think you're grossly underestimating the power of the Xbox 360 and overestimating the power of the PS3.

The R500 is remarkably efficient, I'd reckon that its efficiency, combined with the EDRAM, will put it above the GPU in the PS3.

I am just curious - how did you arrive to this conclusion, considering how precious little is really known about either architecture.

I'm gonna take a wild guess at Revolution's specs:

Dual Core Power PC approx 2.2ghz
ATI VPU 450 mhz with 10MB EDRAM
PPU (hey I can hope and it would be revolutionary :LOL:)
512MB MoSys 1T-SRAM
DSP for sound, possibly integrated into the VPU ala "Flipper"
512MB Flash ROM
Integrated wireless nic

With lower clock speeds they can keep the size/heat down and the PPU would offset the differences in CPU performance as compared to PS3/X360. It's nice to have dreams.....

[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/16/business/16game.html said:
NY Times[/url]]Games created for two next-generation consoles - the Xbox 360 from Microsoft and the PlayStation 3 from Sony - will display video in wide-screen high-definition format if the console is connected to a high-definition TV. Only Nintendo's entry, code-named Revolution, will not cater to HDTV's.

Huh?

Glonk

I don't think they can be directly compared. One is a number from the final GC spec sheet and another is just a vague comment about Revolution. The only likely connection between them is one of conservatism. But I don't think we can actually judge how powerful a system will be by comparing them. I can't really remember what kind of vague comments Nintendo made about GC's power at E3 2000 :)

Teasy said:

Just some media ignorance there I think. Its been said that Rev will support HDTV (it supports PC monitors as well).

Looks that way. It seems nowadays the absence of a press release that mentions HD 174 times is automatically construed as the lack of support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back