Playstation 3 e3 thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ozymandis said:
The PS3 will be around until 2010 or 2011. 1080p is important in that context.

I don't think 1080p will be commen in 2010 either . Most people will be buying hdtvs in the next couple of years with all the new formats and systems hitting and 1080p will be the most expensive and rarest of them all. With 720i being the cheapest

However i don't think it matters much. I think in the end most games for both systems will come out at 720p and upscale for the other res . These consoles are just to close in power

cybamerc said:
jvd said:
With 720i being the cheapest
There's no such thing as 720i and it's not like people are just going to stop buying tvs in a couple of years.
your right it should be 720p .

And it will be the cheapest for a long time coming . That is what will continue to get driven down in price .

This makes me wonder about the next-next-gen systems. Will they offer higher than 1080P since I seriously doubt even 1080P will be common by then? Basically, is there yet another format upgrade in the works after HDTV becomes norm?

Reznor007 said:
This makes me wonder about the next-next-gen systems. Will they offer higher than 1080P since I seriously doubt even 1080P will be common by then? Basically, is there yet another format upgrade in the works after HDTV becomes norm?
they will most likely stop and try to restart the thearter busniess which is taking massive hits because of hdtv . They will most likely let thearters jump far ahead again and have us catch up .

People buying HDTVs after 2007 probably won't even be able to buy a non-1080p set. I already explained why this will be true for DLP. This June, 1080p DLPs are hitting for less cost than 720p was selling for last year. So stop with the sour grapes about HD resolution. I don't think 1080p will be supported by everygame, but if some PS3 games support it, I'll be happy.

Next-gen minimum = 720p just like 480p was minimum on X-Box. But like X-Box sometimes supported 720p and 1080i, next-gen controls should support 1080p.

Take note MS - this is what a launch should be like! No Frodo, No Ring of Light, No hip-hop/rock with teenie boppers around, no PDZ type nonesense.

Other notes...

NVidia GPU: I think it's pretty easy to tell that it was totally bolted on last minute. I think Sony wanted to do their own GPU and/or render on Cells, but it didn't pan out for this generating so they quickly threw in a NVidia chip.

Controller: Looks like ass, but hey - I'm sure you can get one from Logitech or something. I wouldn't even be surprised if the controller design wasn't final and/or they give buyers a choice between controllers (*cough*Xbox Japanese controller*cough*).

Blu-ray: Yay! Anyone know the transfer speeds for that thing?

256mb of vram: No need to tile your scene to draw at HDTV resolution!

Anyone know if a HDD is actually included with PS3? It says removable HDD slot on the spec, and I didn't notice anything in the pics.

fresh said:
T
NVidia GPU: I think it's pretty easy to tell that it was totally bolted on last minute. I think Sony wanted to do their own GPU and/or render on Cells, but it didn't pan out for this generating so they quickly threw in a NVidia chip.

how is that when nVidia has been working on PS3 for more than two years?

I just finished watching the stream. Whoa.

While most of the game demos were very nice, what personally impressed me most was the water/cup thing -- probably because it's somewhat close to my current area of research. Anyway, doubleplusgood presentation.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050517/sce1.htm
sce101.jpg

sce103.jpg

sce108.jpg

z said:
fresh said:
T

how is that when nVidia has been working on PS3 for more than two years?

The PS3 has been in development for 4 years, at least.

"It also has over 300 million transistors larger than any processor available commercially today. It was manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 ultras, which would cost rough $1000 if bought today."

GeForce 6800 Ultra:
222 Million transistors
400Mhz
NVIDIA indicated that we should use a 480W power supply in conjunction with the 6800 Ultra.
Many people have been worried about heat generated by a card that requires two power connections.
Just to be clear, we aren't drawing twice the power because we have twice the connection, nor are we generating twice as much heat.
It's a larger chip, it draws more power, but it won't be clocked as high (with the 6800 Ultra version coming in at 400MHz as opposed to the 5950's 475MHz).
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2023&p=4

The PS3 RSX:
300 million transistors at 550Mhz
Gets 100% more performance from 35% more transistors and 37% more clock.

How is it able to dissappate this enormous amount of heat with a small vent at the top of the console?

Something just doesn't add up, you can't have everything, low power, high clock, large chip.

The PS3 Conference:

It's 270MB - Here are the times for the demos.

Approx.

UT 2k7 - 37mins
Eye Toy (Minority Report esque) - 54 mins
Spider Man Movie char - 59mins
Terrain - 1:01mins
Getaway 1:03mins
Fight NIght 1:11mins
Final Fantasy - 1:15mins

Anyway, just watch the whole thing..but if you're in a rush you can catch these.

PS3 = INSANE.

Speng.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back