Heavenly Sword pre E3 hype?

Thanks for the nice comments guys,

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the shadow issues in a few frames... Of course I wrote the shadow system, so I know what to look for ;-)

mckmas8808 said:
Hold on DeanoC. You wrote it. So tell us thousands of guys one thing. Is what we seen tonight in real-time or CGI?

The trailer was made by selecting a bunch of in-game moves/cool things, Then those frames making up those bits were output at 1080p from the engine. These are then all stuck together in a editing and post-processing package to look like a movie trailer.

But fundementally the 'renderer' itself was in-game, so you can see the shadow issues in certain frame where the in-game shadow map resolution optimiser doesn't do its job.

So in all fairness its not quite as black and white as either real-time or CGI...

DeanoC said:
mckmas8808 said:
Hold on DeanoC. You wrote it. So tell us thousands of guys one thing. Is what we seen tonight in real-time or CGI?

The trailer was made by selecting a bunch of in-game moves/cool things, Then those frames making up those bits were output at 1080p from the engine. These are then all stuck together in a editing and post-processing package to look like a movie trailer.

But fundementally the 'renderer' itself was in-game, so you can see the shadow issues in certain frame where the in-game shadow map resolution optimiser doesn't do its job.

So in all fairness its not quite as black and white as either real-time or CGI...

The one that I had seen was not direct feed, so forget noticing shadow problem. Maybe if I see the 1080 direct feed one, perhaps.

Anyway the only thing I notice is the clump of hair on the main character, seems to need more layers so it looks more like hair instead of like cloth.

DemoCoder said:
Ahh, the question is, how many FPS @ 1080p :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: I assume it's < realtime. (10fps?)

If you split the demo into 2 sections (interior and exterior), the interior runs real-time quite happily at 1080p. The exterior struggles a bit but more because we just kept adding more and more till it looked right without going through various optimisation passes then anything else (i.e. the flags are really expensive at the moment due to a quick implementation).

Well regardless, it's a fabulous piece of work. I assume that the devkit is not as powerful as final HW and there is still lots of optimization left.

DemoCoder said:
there is still lots of optimization left.

Without saying anything regarding hardware etc. I will say everything you see is still early and we expect it to run alot better in future...

Well done Deano.

Out of interest what OS does X360 use? Is it a longhorn derivative or XP derivative or an-other (if you know and can tell )

Also, if you are allowed to say, how many more XB360 games is your dev house planning to release please?

ta

PVR_Extremist said:
Also, if you are allowed to say, how many more XB360 games is your dev house planning to release please?

Wrong next-gen console for me...

Back