• Completely bad compared to the GC game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AWFUL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
the Lighting Engine

The static (pre-) lighting is very good ,but it's 70% artists's taste and visual balance and this is what can be' touchy' to translate from a dac to another ,(particulary with paletized textures).
Dynamic lighting is almost non-existent in RE4 ,or very simple.

i'd have to second PCE here - it'd be curious to know who claimed that an early work-in-progress shots from a port of a foreign platform's masterpiece looked 'as good as the original' - at least i'd know who not to drink my saturday afternoon tea with.

The colour looks a bit bland (CLUT?) and the polygon counts are a little bit lower as are the textures. It looks a bit jaggier and the fire/lighting looks flat. But it still looks good, just not nearly as good as the GC version, as expected (by most sane people).

Wow, thanks for the link! I've been curious how this would look.

It ain't the GC game, that's for sure. That said, it's not too shabby. Lower-res textures and jaggies being the most obvious difference. And perhaps lighting. Yes, probably lighting too.

PS2 owners who don't have a GC should be happy. Me, I'm going to go home and hug my GC version. :p

I voted for the third option. To be honest it's a little hard to tell from these screens as they look a bit washed out. Based on these screens the lighting looks quite flat compared to the Cube version. Also, there's some serious texture aliasing in some of the screens. The fire effects look nowhere near as good as in the Cube version and I doubt the various per-pixel effects have made it into the PS2 version.

I think there will be noticeable differences in the outdoor and indoor areas, the GC version had these problems aswell. Just not as bad. I would like to say its a good port, but seeing some of the other picks of ouside areas just make it very difficult to do so.

I see what you mean :oops:

925156_20050516_screen027.jpg

The outdoor problems must be at least partly due to the uncomplete development though. Because surely the final game can't look as bad as the shot above! It looks horrendous!

_phil_ said:
the Lighting Engine

The static (pre-) lighting is very good ,but it's 70% artists's taste and visual balance and this is what can be' touchy' to translate from a dac to another ,(particulary with paletized textures).
Dynamic lighting is almost non-existent in RE4 ,or very simple.

Fact is, Ps2 cant handle it...

And that makes a difference.

I don´t know, call me optimistic, but I was expecting something better. Some of those shots really do look awfull.

Hmm, I think it looks fairly close to the original. Jaggier and a bit washed out, but mostly faithful. Or at least I thought that was the only difference, as I started going through the pictures I noticed some textures were greatly reduced in quality, and I'd expect many effects to be removed. Also need to find out the framerate.

However, assuming a solid framerate, I'd say it's close enough that, especially if played on a bad TV, most people won't notice the difference.

It'd be different if the gamecube version was perfect, but it really wasn't. The Gamecube version could have been shaper, higher resolution, and cleaned up a bit. I'd like to see some side ot side shots though.

I have to see it in motion. I voted for not as good but close. Maybe a video later this week can show us something better. :?

I just saw footage of the game on G4.

Adam and Morgan just ate some crow - they said the game looks as good on PS2 as GC, though I think that's clearly not the case.

The footage itself looks better than the stills we've seen - the colors in particular look a lot richer. The polygon models of the main characters look as detailed as on GC (didn't see lots of villagers). Even the environs were decent.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the GC game is better-looking overall, and possibly by a large margin. I'm just saying that the PS2 game looks better in motion than it does in those stills.

I just seen an exclustive on G4TV. Even Morgan said that it looks just as good as the GC version. And I have to agree. I was like this --> :oops:

mckmas8808 said:
I just seen an exclustive on G4TV. Even Morgan said that it looks just as good as the GC version. And I have to agree. I was like this --> :oops:
watching the same thing and i have to say she is wrong . Its damn close but just not there .

To me its there. Well maybe like 90% there. But what do you expect from a game that not even finished. Its probably going to come out after the Xbox 360 launch. Just to give you a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back