Sorry for this but...

How fast the next generation GPU by NVIDIA will be?

• It beats the R300 in some tests and lose on other tests.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It wins hands down in almost all the situations

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
nAo said:
p.s. you have 3 days to cast your vote, so..some of you would wait for some higly reliable-last minute-rumour that hit the net before NVIDIA NV30 presentation that should be set for the next monday

Some "highly-reliable last minute" info arrived yesterday via e-mail. ;)

I am now pretty sure it'll be quicker than R300 in most if not all circumstances. The same source (a Canadian fanATic, lol) also speculated that ATi's current only advantage is cost and when they move to chip-only they may not be able to compete.

MuFu.

Hmm interesting poll, and one I think does show a trend of at least those that participated.

I look at the three options as:
Slower than R300 = ATI Fan biased idealism
Half and Half = middle of the road, fence sitter, not about to declare superiority either way without having seen the real thing
Faster than R300 = NVIDIA Fan biased idealism

I think the percentages of votes to either extreme also is a good sampling of the the participating readership. 5% pro-ATI, and a whopping 36% pro-NVIDIA... sight unseen. :)

I'll bet if you were able to obtain marketing dollars spent, the 5% to 36% ratio would probably be directly proportional. :)

Why biaised? Some people have perhaps some internal information and you can't say where they are ;) and others makes their opinion from the rumors so....

Sharkfood said:
Half and Half = middle of the road, fence sitter, not about to declare superiority either way without having seen the real thing
Well, I hope you're joking....obviously there are plenty of reasons to address one vote or another, not just fanboyisms.

ciao,
Marco

nAo said:
Sharkfood said:
Well, I hope you're joking....obviously there are plenty of reasons to address one vote or another, not just fanboyisms.

ciao,
Marco

I think he is joking, I voted Slower than R300 as I simply feel bored, nothing related to being a fan of "You-Know-Which" (ref. Harry Potter, You-Know-Who).

I will buy the NV30 anyway when it is released.

I refuse to vote in this poll. The idea that nvidia would release a product six months after their primary competitor that under performs is ridiculous. But on the same hand here it is very likely that nvidia hadn't anticipated this move on ATIs part at all and their original design of the NV30 was not appropriate resulting in the massive delay.

The idea that the NV30 would beat the R300 is not so insightful .... the possibility that ATi has a response for the NV30 that will match or beat the NV30 is clearly a potential event though given that they have had so much time to develop a solution... It is not clear to me how nvidia will manage to stifle market share gains for ATi this Christmas season however by simply announcing a product that won't be shipping in any serious numbers until after the new year.

i voted slower than. Simpley because its taken so much longer to get to the marked than the r300. And to me it should be compared to the next ati part and not a 5 month old part or even more by the time the nv 30 comes out. Of course I still think ati has a trick or two left in the r9700pro ... mabye they will pull a nvidia .

jvd said:
i voted slower than. Simpley because its taken so much longer to get to the marked than the r300. And to me it should be compared to the next ati part and not a 5 month old part or even more by the time the nv 30 comes out. Of course I still think ati has a trick or two left in the r9700pro ... mabye they will pull a nvidia .
Mind you, that wasn't in question here... do u really think NVIDIA can allow NV30 to be slower than R300? just think about that for a sec, they have quite a big gap to fill in...

Sabastian's got the right idea.. :)

Evildeus- someone with "inside information" would be even worse since that would be the worst kind of marketing ploy- the "free" kind. hehe. It would obviously be from someone within NVidia, and without a penny spent. :)

Alex's comment was the most insightful-
do u really think NVIDIA can allow NV30 to be slower than R300?

Absolutely not. Even if, say, something dreadfully faulty is wrong with the hardware or if it's a complete architectural flop (hypothetically speaking, of course), NVIDIA couldn't possibly allow any form of perception of such. Regardless of the quality of the hardware, the marketed perception WILL be it beats the 9700 Pro hands-down, at everything. This will only accelerate after the product's release, and with any hope will actually be the case. :)

alexsok said:
Mind you, that wasn't in question here... do u really think NVIDIA can allow NV30 to be slower than R300? just think about that for a sec, they have quite a big gap to fill in...

I don't think it has anything to do with nvidia. Just in the same way that i don't think the athlon stop scaleing on .13 had anything to do with what amd would allow. Everyone here is assuming that they will get a higher clock speed than r300. I don't doubt that for a second. What i doubt is how much higher than the r300 will they get. 400mhz ? well we've heard of r300's hitting that wth a little better than stock cooling. I can get mine to 364 mhz. Thats with just the ati fan. I'm sure better cooling and a little more voltage and it will easily hit 400+. Can nvidia do 500mhz + ? I think there in lies the question. Also can they get 500mhz ram is the other. although i don't think that is so much of a problem as the cost is. Anyone know how much 500mhz ddr 2 ram is ? If they can't out mhz the r300 by a large enough mhz ati will simply come in an drop a tweaked r300 at 15mhz more or whatever and take back the crown. Ati would have had a product on the shelves for about 6 months at 400$ before dropping another one. What can nvida do to take back the crown? Drop yet another 400$ card two months after the first ?

I also think its funny that we are comparing the nv30 to the r300 when by the time the nv30 hits shelves in any large amounts ati will have responed with a new product.

I say the r300 will be faster. What i would really like to say though and i have no option to say it is will it(nv30) be fast enough? Beating the radeon 9700 pro at 1600x1200 with 4x fsaa and 16x aniso by 2 frames is just not enough. Yes fan boys will come out and talk about how the nv30 kicks the r9700's butt. But you know what. For a new product on par with a 5 month or even older product in imho makes it inferior

Sorry for any spelling mistakes and grammer problems . It was a late night party that didn't finish untill 8 am.

where's "don't know, Not interested before real benchmarks with actual card." -option?

nAo: sorry, but IMO you could have put the question on this way and get same answers:

Do you flavour nVidia over ATI?
A) Yes. No way ATI for me and nVidia kicks major ass.
B) No. ATi is the greatest and not the IIIVIL one.
C) Don't care, as long as it does the trick for me.

so mostly I say this is more like question about being a fan boy of either one. afaik, we really don't have real facts about card to start speculating this on technical side. (and Parhelia showed that even if we would have, we cannot be 100% sure how the real finished hardware will correlate with conclusions based on specs.)

and no, I didn't answered the question. I want to see at least specs first.

Nappe1 said:
nAo: sorry, but IMO you could have put the question on this way and get same answers:
I just see poeple (look at how many OT comments in this thread)need to favour a company or bash another one, your're entitled to your opinion, but let me say you're wrong.
Obviously this is the last I time I try to have fun with a stupid poll. Do you all want to fight, let's start then, I'll keep myself out from this.

ciao,
Marco

One thing for sure radeon 9700 has stronger vertex shaders(remember it can do 1 poly per clock).325million polys against nv30's 200million is a big difference IMO.Fsaa&aniso performance will show who is the winner and not pixel shader version 2.0 vs 2.0+ because they don't mean nothing for the next 2 years. ;)

I think this poll would be more meaningful if it had been :

What do you think the NV30's core and memory clock speeds will be?
- numbers A
- numbers B
- numbers C
- etc

From then on, given what we know if CinFX, this thread would perhaps have more interesting discussions.

I didn't vote because it is as per Shark's first post on this page.

Reverend always the righteous one, never the sinner. I for one would like to believe for the sake of competition, that the NV30 would be a faster product. But, what does it matter to me, I can't afford either of them! ;)

Back