xbox 360, the huge quality difference, why?

McFly

Veteran
What do you think? Why is the difference between the screenshots of xbox 360 games so huge?

Are some ingame where others are not?

Is the xbox 360 harder for devs than MS wants to make us believe?

What do you think?

Fredi

McFly said:
What do you think? Why is the difference between the screenshots of xbox 360 games so huge?

Are some ingame where others are not?

Is the xbox 360 harder for devs than MS wants to make us believe?

What do you think?

Fredi

I think some dev have had more time to work and play around with the devkits than others.

Budgets, time... some of the media is likely CGI. Still that doesn't excuse games like PD0 and DOA4 that barely look better than current gen stuff.

next gen games are harder to develop.

many developers don't have finished code yet. Some have playable code that is quite close to finished games graphically, others have just prerendered concept cgi.

Maybe there's a big gap between the devkit and the actual hardware?
They might have started development with a modest realworld perf in mind.
Or, in some cases, they might have converted an Xbox 1 game into an Xbox 360 game by XNA.

Was Gear of War playable ?

You know at least PDZ was playable, regardless of what people think of it. So kudo to Rare I suppose. But damn it, they're taking their time :)

Well, seeing as Rare is owned by MS, they were probably one of the first devs to receive the kits?

And as I said before; can E3 come any sooner?

- Z

-NakedZ- said:
Well, seeing as Rare is owned by MS, they were probably one of the first devs to receive the kits?

Let's hope the quality of other xbox 360 games don't have to be reduced to PD0 levels.

Fredi

maybe some games were built on R350 / Radeon 9800 Pro
(in the oldest dev kits) while others were developed on the more modern R420 / Radeon X800 XT in more recent kits ?

regardless, the truth is, we have never actually seen what Xbox360 can really do, since everything so far is on non-final hardware, one way or another.

-NakedZ- said:
And as I said before; can E3 come any sooner?

What you see at E3 isn't going to be a hell of a lot different from what you're seeing now. It's only 4 days away (3 to MS's conference).

Maybe there's a big gap between the devkit and the actual hardware?

Undoubtedly, but I'd still have expected better looking games generally out of that unfinished hardware.

it's going to be the same with PS3. omse developers can grasp the new hardware features better then others, while some were more prepared for the jump in feature set then others. to be hojnest I think there's going ot be many PS2 only developers struggling to at first to deal with pixel shaders and all the new features they are now exposed to.

MS updates the devkits monthly, so there isn't any excuses of using old devkits. plus this is an in-house dev- first hand access to everything.

london-boy said:
[
I know, and i'm still wondering why on earth MS paid 350M for them...

it was actually $375 million!

here is one for you:
xbox360.gif

I bet Ninty is laughing their Mario ass on this one.

Qroach said:
it's going to be the same with PS3. omse developers can grasp the new hardware features better then others, while some were more prepared for the jump in feature set then others. to be hojnest I think there's going ot be many PS2 only developers struggling to at first to deal with pixel shaders .

"First deal with pixel shaders and all the new features they are now exposed to"???

We're in 2005!!!!!! PS have been around for bloody years!

Megadrive1988 said:
maybe some games were built on R350 / Radeon 9800 Pro
(in the oldest dev kits) while others were developed on the more modern R420 / Radeon X800 XT in more recent kits ?

If true, then the real question would be why would (did) MS demo the least impressive [graphically] game?

- Z

london-boy said:
and i'm still wondering why on earth MS paid 350M for them...
MS just wanted to give nintendo the finger so they bought up rare no matter what the cost, that's all.

I can't see any other reason they bought it other than to score a PR victory against nintendo, rare's so totally the wrong demographic for xbox it's not even funny. Cute and cuddly's never been the defining image of ms's great slab of plastic of a console...

$375M several years ago with god knows how much more since then in additional running production costs, for a sum total of two released titles - none of which were smash hits.

Add to that, an alledgedly rather lacklustre-looking PD0 despite years and years of development - I've been unable to download any pics of it myself so I don't know for sure - and it all smells like a slightly bad investment, at least to me.

It's going to be a long, LONG time before rare has earned back all that money MS paid for it.

Final dev kits may not be in the wild yet. There have been compatibility kits, previously, but not held by the devs.

Back