500 Million Poly? What is that in real game performance?

according to leaked Xenon hardware overview that came out in
June 2004, the 500 million vertices/s / 500 million triangles/s
is meant to be achievable in the real-world, in actual games, AND with "non-trivial shaders"

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=231928
The GPU has a peak pixel fill rate of 4+ gigapixels/sec (16 gigasamples/sec with 4× antialiasing). The peak vertex rate is 500+ million vertices/sec. The peak triangle rate is 500+ million triangles/sec. The interesting point about all of these values is that they’re not just theoretical—they are attainable with nontrivial shaders.

.......... I hope this is true........

you will note that the current-fastest PC G|VPUs are rated at around 600M+ vertices per second, but with heavy shaders and everything else, that drops massively. those G|VPUs would be lucky to be pulling off 1/10th of their peak polygon ratings.

let's say 1/3 of the unified ALUs are assigned to vertex shading, one could process 160 floating ops per vertex and saturate the primitive setup engine!!

satriales said:
So why does Perfect Dark Zero only have 5000 polygons per character and 100,000-300,000 for the enviroments?

Cause Rare are out of their minds. Either for not being able to DO anything worth our time in a few years time, or because what they showed shouldn't have been shown at all, if it's so early in development. Which it shouldn't be anyway since they've done nothing for years.

Actually i think MS were out of their minds when they bought Rare, but anyway...

nAo said:
let's say 1/3 of the unified ALUs are assigned to vertex shading, one could process 160 floating ops per vertex and saturate the primitive setup engine!!

nAo, if you get the time, could you explain your math on this?

satriales said:
So why does Perfect Dark Zero only have 5000 polygons per character and 100,000-300,000 for the enviroments?

Because it was the worst game shown last night? Seriously, next gen is about good engines and even better artists. PDZ did not look to have either imo. Condemned, Gears of War, GR3, PGR3, and so forth were jaw dropping.

satriales said:
Because it's a port and a work-in-progress from this generation?

Acert93 said:
nAo, if you get the time, could you explain your math on this?
1/3 * 48 = 16 ALUs. Each should be able to do 10 ops per clock (1 vec4 + 1 scalar = 8 + 2), thus 16 ALUs * 10 ops = 160 ops per clock cycle.

It was shown because it had playable multiplayer and the other games aren't that far . Remember pdz went from gc to xbox and now x360 so they most likely aren't done with the final models and textures for the game .

The important thing is that people (Except ign) really liked the game play

Okaaaaayyyy...... :?: :?: :?:

So are we talking avg games running at 150-200 Million poly per sec or are we going to see games actually running at near 500 million poly p/sec????

Educate us not so technology smart please.... ;)

Probably specs similar to the PS2's 70 million poly's per second, which it never did, just PR bullshit. Once you get AI, interactive environments and most importantly multiple shaders on it probably won't see anywhere near that.

Tacitblue said:
Probably specs similar to the PS2's 70 million poly's per second, which it never did, just PR bullshit. Once you get AI, interactive environments and most importantly multiple shaders on it probably won't see anywhere near that.
So what? what should they quote? average numbers based on games that do not even exist?

I thought in this day and age of pixel and vertex shading we were so past 'polygons per second' as a measure of graphical prowess.

All i can say is that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Flop figures, poly figures mean nothing without intelligent decision making processes how much power to dole out to each aspect of the game be it graphics, AI, differences handled between single and multiple person games be they split screen or networked. It's all overhead and I don't think anybody can get too excited just yet. Look at how people seem to have been let down by the "XBox 1.5" graphics level some of the MTV pukefest featured titles seemed to offer. It's as much hardware as it is the people coding for it, no tools, no drools.

Once they figure out how to manage resources though, I have no doubt it will be a system many would enjoy, people just have too much expectations too early, and more importantly have too much expectations based on hardware numbers which don't take into account actual gameplay. Just as PS2 did.

Tacitblue said:

500 millions is near 4 time xbox theorical max ,so i expect these 500 millions to be ...less theorical. :oops:

edit
I thought in this day and age of pixel and vertex shading we were so past 'polygons per second' as a measure of graphical prowess.

agreed .Polygon is now a lesser God.

Back