PGR3, Gears of War, Condemnded, WOW. Why did they show PDZ?

MuFu said:
london-boy said:
I've tried everything but i can't get to the trailers from the MTV website.

Ditto. That link takes me to the MTV.com homepage, as does the link in the Games section.

MTV stuff is US only I heard in another thread.

Acert93 said:
MuFu said:
london-boy said:
I've tried everything but i can't get to the trailers from the MTV website.

Ditto. That link takes me to the MTV.com homepage, as does the link in the Games section.

MTV stuff is US only I heard in another thread.

Err that's a first... If it's true, then this is prob the most ridiculous thing i've seen in a long time. So much for a "global network" huh... :rolleyes: Thanks MTV.

Thanks for the torrent! The vids are asking to install a security update and aquiring a license though, whats that about?

Yeah honestly i dont know wtf they were thinking. I wanna know the Einstein that tought those graphics were impressive.....really.

Even if we think "Its multiplayer, 50 players a map" it just doesnt......feel right.

Re: PGR3, Gears of War, Condemnded, WOW. Why did they show P

Acert93 said:
Ghost Recon 3: I have my doubts if that is real time... but if it is, it blew me away. It looks outstanding. The rendering quality is out of this world, the texture quality is great, and the models are very detailed. Seemed to be very immersive. Blows a game like BF2 or CS:S away.

I'm pretty sure Ghost Recon 3 is real time in game footage. The first part of the clip where the soldiers are walking on patrol, when the explosion goes off the loud noise causes the "ear ringing" effect. This type off effect is normal in Tom Clancy games when flash bangs and other loud stuff happens.

In addition to the eye popping graphics, the animation looks really good. The models hips and torso have a natural fluid "swing" movement. I find this an area where most FPS's fail to deliver a convincing performance. The animation most of the time comes across as phoney, but not so with GR 3.

Ghost Recon 3 video clip

Huh.

After wasting 20 minutes of my life on the MTV special last night, I came away deciding NOT to budget $400 worth of spending on this piece of equipment.

CoD2 looked like a PC game. Hell, I'll just spend $50 bucks then.
Ghost Recon looked fantastic, but I'm not a big squad based shooter guy, certainly not a system-seller for me.
Madden looked great, but we all know those are "artist renditions" and dont reflect anything at all about the Xbox 360.

The rest of the games looked like they could be made on the Xbox, and after reading all the hype about Perfect Dark Zero, I came to the conclusion that 90% of the people on internet message boards must be off their nut because that game looked like crap.

So many people were waiting for that piece of garbage?

The only cool thing about the entire show was the opening 30 seconds or so of brainwashing marketing material. Equating the Xbox with Pong, Atari 2600 and Nintendo was great. Equating Nintendo with the Atari 2600 (as in, they're both DEAD) was great. Totally skipping over any mention of the Playstation during their "game evolution timeline" was great.

All great (in terms of marketing), and then we got to see two morons make an Xbox bigger and uglier than they already were, got to watch the only music video MTV has played in the past decade, saw a bunch of clips of really poor quality games, and then got to watch people PLAY the ugliest looking game of them all.

The only interesting thing was the design evolution of the X360, and I'm sure I prefered about two of the prototypes over the final design.

RancidLunchmeat said:
Huh.

After wasting 20 minutes of my life on the MTV special last night, I came away deciding NOT to budget $400 worth of spending on this piece of equipment.

Ghost Recon looked fantastic, but I'm not a big squad based shooter guy, certainly not a system-seller for me.
Madden looked great, but we all know those are "artist renditions" and dont reflect anything at all about the Xbox 360.

The rest of the games looked like they could be made on the Xbox, and after reading all the hype about Perfect Dark Zero, I came to the conclusion that 90% of the people on internet message boards must be off their nut because that game looked like crap.

The only cool thing about the entire show was the opening 30 seconds or so of brainwashing marketing material. Equating the Xbox with Pong, Atari 2600 and Nintendo was great. Equating Nintendo with the Atari 2600 (as in, they're both DEAD) was great. Totally skipping over any mention of the Playstation during their "game evolution timeline" was great.

All great (in terms of marketing), and then we got to see two morons make an Xbox bigger and uglier than they already were, got to watch the only music video MTV has played in the past decade, saw a bunch of clips of really poor quality games, and then got to watch people PLAY the ugliest looking game of them all.

The only interesting thing was the design evolution of the X360, and I'm sure I prefered about two of the prototypes over the final design.

:oops: So mtv was going to dictate that? I mean E3 is already out of the cards? Wtf......

You know that show was meant for the REST of the world to see, ya know the other kind of ppl that isnt into the whole E3 thing....it was meant fro the more casual gamers! And it worked.

Our show is yet to begin, our show is e3.

Oh and its 299 from what i've heard, not 400$, and by the way you speak about it, i doubt you werethinking about buying one.

therealskywolf said:
:oops: So mtv was going to dictate that? I mean E3 is already out of the cards? Wtf......

You know that show was meant for the REST of the world to see, ya know the other kind of ppl that isnt into the whole E3 thing....it was meant fro the more casual gamers! And it worked.

Our show is yet to begin, our show is e3.

Oh and its 299 from what i've heard, not 400$, and by the way you speak about it, i doubt you werethinking about buying one.

$299? Please. Even at $299, are you planning on buying a game with the system, or are you just going to hug your shiny new X360?

If that was for the REST of the world to see, what they saw was a bunch of poor quality Xbox ports, a pair of morons violating the warranty on an XBOX, and Wood, who looks like an elf (or hobbit) even without makeup.

What do you think is going to happen at E3? Do you think PDZ is somehow going to look better?

Do you think Tiger Woods isn't going to look like a PS2 quality game any longer?

RancidLunchmeat said:
Huh.

[/quote]

I agree with everything you say apart from:

I mean... The thing isn't even out yet, there are NO finished games for it, and you decide on a purchase you won't be making in more than 6 months anyway that you're not going to buy the thing? After just a 20m video? WOW...

Hrm... I don't see how anyone can find those videos amazing. I'll wait for better media but most of the games look like the hi-res current gen games or high end PC stuff that they are.

Given that PDZ was their only playable game, and it ran like crap, I´m willing to bet those other games are FMVs. Rare can suck at times, but not THAT bad.

london-boy said:
I agree with everything you say apart from:

I mean... The thing isn't even out yet, there are NO finished games for it, and you decide on a purchase you won't be making in more than 6 months anyway that you're not going to buy the thing? After just a 20m video? WOW...

Perhaps I should clarify: Wednesday, I was prepared to to buy a X360 at launch. Friday, I have decided I will not be purchasing a X360 at launch. I'm sure I'll purchase one eventually, but I'm certainly not going to be a first-adopter after watching that hideous display.

Do you believe that in 6 months time, the majority of games won't still look like ports or have quality equal to a mid-level PC? If MS had something better to show us, they would have. I doubt we'll see vast improvements in quality coming out of E3.

The X360 would need a good 5-6 great looking titles available at launch for me to make a purchase then. I don't see that happening. They might have one or two (that I may or may not be interested in) and the rest of the launch lineup looks like they'll be Xbox quality only released on the X360.

RancidLunchmeat said:
The rest of the games looked like they could be made on the Xbox

It is statements like this that has peoeple like jvd defensive--for good reason. You mentioned GR3 and Madden as looking great, but everything else could be done on the Xbox.

:oops:

PGR3, Condemnded, Gears of War, Quake 4, NBA 2K6, 99 Nights, BlueDragon could not be done on an Xbox. Not at the quality shown, not in our dreams. Texture detail and size, lighting, shadowing, motion, etc... different league.

The footage of NFS, Saints Row, CoD 2 had rendering quality of high end PCs and cannot be done on the Xbox.

Even Kameo, Tony Hawk, and Full Auto had really high frame rates, clean/crisp graphics, and a high end PC edge to them. While none of those scream out like Gears of War or GR3, they all were all a jump compared to this gen in some areas (either texture detail, rendering, particles, number of players on screen, etc).

Only Tiger Woods and PDZ were games I thought looked like stuff that could be done on the Xbox.

So yeah, I disagree. A good 1/3 of the games shown were really killer graphically--a total shock. Another good 1/3 looked next gen--just on a lower budget and a 1st try. Less than 1/3 looked like cheap/lazy Xbox ports.

I was, and am, impressed.

RancidLunchmeat said:
Perhaps I should clarify: Wednesday, I was prepared to to buy a X360 at launch. Friday, I have decided I will not be purchasing a X360 at launch. I'm sure I'll purchase one eventually, but I'm certainly not going to be a first-adopter after watching that hideous display.

Do you believe that in 6 months time, the majority of games won't still look like ports or have quality equal to a mid-level PC? If MS had something better to show us, they would have. I doubt we'll see vast improvements in quality coming out of E3.

The X360 would need a good 5-6 great looking titles available at launch for me to make a purchase then. I don't see that happening. They might have one or two (that I may or may not be interested in) and the rest of the launch lineup looks like they'll be Xbox quality only released on the X360.

Well, 6 months is a long time to fix things for launch, and we're still not even 100% it's gonna be 6 months anyway...

In their defense, MS has a history of whacky first showings. Not sure if anyone remembers the BlueScreenOfDeath and various crashings at the Xbox showing... And not only Xbox ;)

X360 will be just fine, i don't think anyone should make decisions over a 20min video, though i agree that they DEFINATELY need to work on their presentation skills. I mean, you either have something GOOD to show, or you just don't show it.

Yeah those presentations were sort of half cooked and they had the nerved to bring it out for the public.

hugo said:
Yeah those presentations were sort of half cooked and they had the nerved to bring it out for the public.

Yep. MS must learn that first impressions are VERY important to the people out there. And they're just crap at first impressions.
They like to get in with a not-so-excellent showing, then work their way up, which works in the long run, but to get there, they need to work it out real hard.
Whereas some other people like to hit the market with a BIG BANG, impress everyone and try to keep it steady.

Perfect Dark Zero might be a fun game. It looked more of a fast action game. Sort of a mix of Quake 1 and Counter-Strike with a jet pack option. The graphics weren't overly dark which is a good thing to see. So many FPS's are just too plain dark. The clean graphics reminded me a lot of Counter Strikes Dust and Italy maps. These maps are some of the most popular ever created for a first person shooter.

I have a feeling the jeers for PD0 may turn into cheers once more gameplay is demonstrated.

Back