115.2 GFLOPS ? (Xbox360 triple core CPU)

http://1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3140209

Custom-designed IBM PowerPC-based CPU with 3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2Ghz each; 2 hardware threads per core and 6 hardware threads total Intel 733MHz Pentium III; one hardware thread

CPU Floating Point Performance 115.2 GFLOPS

that's a little over 1/10th (one tenth) of a teraflop / 1 TFLOPs.

if true, that's certainly better than 50 ~ 70 GFLOPs figured with the rumored CPU downgrade.

Megadrive1988 said:

Custom-designed IBM PowerPC-based CPU with 3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2Ghz each; 2 hardware threads per core and 6 hardware threads total Intel 733MHz Pentium III; one hardware thread

I wonder were they got that number from. Also did they use the 4xAA fill rate numbers as the standard filrate of 16Gp?

Well... assuming that each of these custom PPC CPUs can do 6 operations per cycle...

6 Operations Per Cycle X 2 Hardware Threads X 3 Physical Processors X 3.2GHz clock rate = 115.2 GFLOPs total combined theoretical CPU FLOPS performance. Again though that is theoretical much like the theoretical FLOPs from the Cell CPU.

The GameMaster...

so, we're talking about 100 to 115 GFLOPs of peak theoretical floating point performance.

30 to 50 Gflops of sustained real-world performance would be good, I would imagine.

that would be a great deal better than PS2's 6.2 peak theoretical performance, PS2's likely 2 to 3 Gflops of real-world sustained performance,

Xbox1's 3 Gflops of peak theoretical and probably 1 Gflops of sustained realworld performance

Dreamcast's 1.4 peak theoretical Gflops and 900 MFLOPs sustained

I have no idea how your defining sustained, but your just throwing meaningless numbers around.

Guess that means good news for the PS3 in terms of floating-point performance. If they do in fact use an 8 SPU Cell for a 256Gflops CPU.

Either way, 115Gflops is quite impressive for the CPU. Although it does make you wonder about the whole "1 Teraflops of computing power"-comments. The return of the NVFlop :p

Either way, 115Gflops is quite impressive for the CPU. Although it does make you wonder about the whole "1 Teraflops of computing power"-comments. The return of the NVFlop :p
the gpu is using nvidia flops or sony flops to hit that :)

Seriously though its just marketing numbers . Ms said 1 tflop and some how sony will come up with a number greater than that . Its how it works .

MS mentioned "targeted performance" in GDC.

I think MS is angling the GPU's performance. At Toms it gives some non-standard performance numbers. Since it is programmable and a unified shader setup they may be counting all those extra FLOPs.

All marketing buzz. Ignore it ;)

I dunno, I mean. A peak GFLOP-count can be spun this way and the other, and depending on how it works, the actual capabilities may vary, but it's still somewhat important.

At least if you can compare the same types of floating point ops. I mean, take the Top500 list as an example.

Higher peak usually means higher real-life performance. In this case, where one has double the amount, I'd say it's somewhat of an indicator at least :p

The top 500 list is actually a perfect example of why these numbers are almost meaningless. For instance #9 has an Rpeak of 20 teraflops but it scores less than #8 which only has an Rpeak of 16 teraflops.

Nvidia XGPU / X-Chip for Xbox1

original flop-rating: "140.1 GFLOPs"

revised rating: "120 GFLOPs"

final NV2A rating: "80 GFLOPs"

ATI Xbox 360 G|VPU (let me make some assumptions)

no seperate floating point rating given, but obviously the lions-share of the flops rating is derived from the G|VPU. if the CPU is rated at 115 GFLOPs then one can see that MS is implying that the G|VPU is 900~1000+ "GFLOPs" read that as: just under, or at, or just over "1TFLOPs". there's your targeted 1TFLOP, or more than 1TFLOP.

that means MS is saying that Xbox 360 G|VPU is roughly 11-13 times more powerful than Xbox GPU in floating point speed.
(900 GFLOPs / 80 GFLOPs
or 1000 GFLOPs / 80 GFLOPs
or 1100 GFLOP / 80 GFLOPs)

...i gave a range for the ATI G|VPU since we dont know what its exact flops rating is... and obviously the 80 GFLOPs every time is Xbox1 GPU.

of course, the only meaningful FLOPs rating is the 100 or 115 GFLOPs for the CPU. that is programmable / general purpose. even though it is still peak, and still theoretical flops.

now back to the G|VPU....

Xbox GPU to Xbox360 G|VPU seems to be a smaller leap than from Nintendo 64 GPU (RCP) to Gamecube GPU (Flipper) IMO

more like Nintendo 64 to Dreamcast. ....and in some of the games, even THAT much is not evident. but to be fair, we're not seeing games run on final hardware yet.

Heh, even Microsoft can't decide how many GFLOPS the processor is, just don't worry about it, it's just marketing bs.

quest55720 said:
Also did they use the 4xAA fill rate numbers as the standard filrate of 16Gp?
The figures given are for the AA sample fill-rate at 4x AA - the Xbox 360 has a pixel fillrate of 4Gpixels/sec = 4 x 4 = 16Gsamples/sec.

quest55720 said:
Megadrive1988 said:

I wonder were they got that number from. Also did they use the 4xAA fill rate numbers as the standard filrate of 16Gp?

They're talking about the CPU. AA and fillrate have nothing to do with it.

I'm very impressed by what MS and IBM has achieved here. This is more than enough cpu power for next generation games and more than anyone predicted and even at a lower 3.2GHz clock. ;)

Everyone had predicted around 80GFLOPS peak at 3.5GHz. Using that esimate at 3.2GHz it would've been ~70 GFLOPs.

Xbox360's IBM CPU will have 3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each with 1 MB L2 cache. Each core has 2 hardware threads and one VMX-128 vector unit. Enough to boost an impressive 9 billion dots per second.
The ATI GPU will run at 500MHz with 10 MB embedded DRAM (256 GB/s memory bandwidth) and contain 48 parallel floating-point shader pipelines.
System memory will probably be 512MB of GDDR3 RAM (at 700 Mhz) with 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth and 21.6GB/s frontside bus bandwidth.
The Xbox360 will also have a mulitchannel surround output.

Hehe 48 pipelines? and embedded ram :p Will we see this on the next ATI GPU for pcs too?

Onde Pik said:
Xbox360's IBM CPU will have 3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each with 1 MB L2 cache. Each core has 2 hardware threads and one VMX-128 vector unit. Enough to boost an impressive 9 billion dots per second.
The ATI GPU will run at 500MHz with 10 MB embedded DRAM (256 GB/s memory bandwidth) and contain 48 parallel floating-point shader pipelines.
System memory will probably be 512MB of GDDR3 RAM (at 700 Mhz) with 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth and 21.6GB/s frontside bus bandwidth.
The Xbox360 will also have a mulitchannel surround output.

Hehe 48 pipelines? and embedded ram :p Will we see this on the next ATI GPU for pcs too?

9 Billion what?

Back