Official Xbox Specs @ Tom's

Even though the specs are below what I expected i'll still get one. I just can't wait another year for a PS3 or Revolution. I fully expect sony and nintendo to kick MS in the balls with consoles with much much bigger specs. MS better get off to a big start because the 360 is almost as underpowered as my beloved dreamcast was.

quest55720 said:
Even though the specs are below what I expected i'll still get one. I just can't wait another year for a PS3 or Revolution. I fully expect sony and nintendo to kick MS in the balls with consoles with much much bigger specs. MS better get off to a big start because the 360 is almost as underpowered as my beloved dreamcast was.

The Dreamcast wasn't underpowered (at least, no more so than the PS2 and Xbox) and Xenon sure as hell isn't. Sony may come out with a more powerful device (as you would expect from a later entrant) but I can't see it kicking a device this fast "in the balls" and I doubt Nintendo have any intention to even try.

Two interesting things: the VS/PS shaders ARE unified and the CPU heatsink is water cooled! Heh the heatsink is the most interesting part of the system =]

function said:
quest55720 said:

The Dreamcast wasn't underpowered (at least, no more so than the PS2 and Xbox) and Xenon sure as hell isn't. Sony may come out with a more powerful device (as you would expect from a later entrant) but I can't see it kicking a device this fast "in the balls" and I doubt Nintendo have any intention to even try.

I just don't see Sony and Nintendo having mem bandwith that is 2 years old. I also think that Sony will be able to ramp up the clock speeds of the the PS3 GPU big time. Unless ATI can pull a R300 miracle out of thier hats MS is in big trouble. Also nintendo will have almost 1 year to beef up its specs to beat these.

Im just glad to see the 512megs of ram. I think that will help it alot. I was a little hesitant about getting one with 256. But now I'm definitily preordering one. I figure I'll pick up either a ps3 or Rev later also. I think all the nextgen consoles maybe shipping with 512 now which helps for multiconcole releases. I think if the ps2 or GC had 64megs like the xbox there wouldn't be much difference graphically between any of them. GC only has 40ish and it rivals anything on the xbox.

I think this puts more pressure on Sony since they're using more expensive XDram. if they stick with 256 doesn't matter how powerful the system is, they MAY have lower detail textures. 512 XDR, BR laser, Cell, Nvidia GPU = pricier to manufacturer.

quest55720 said:
I just don't see Sony and Nintendo having mem bandwith that is 2 years old. I also think that Sony will be able to ramp up the clock speeds of the the PS3 GPU big time. Unless ATI can pull a R300 miracle out of thier hats MS is in big trouble. Also nintendo will have almost 1 year to beef up its specs to beat these.

What do you mean about "mem bandwith that is 2 years old"?

We'll have to wait and see about clockspeeds, but there's more to how good a processor is than its clockspeed. The Geforce 6800 GT and Ultras are far behind ATIs parts in terms of clockspeed, but comparable in terms of performance. It wouldn't take a miracle for the R500 to be comparable to whatever is in Sony's next machine.

Nintendo might have a year to "beef up specs" but that doesn't mean they'll use it for that. Look at their history.

Pozer said:
Im just glad to see the 512megs of ram. I think that will help it alot. I was a little hesitant about getting one with 256. But now I'm definitily preordering one. I figure I'll pick up either a ps3 or Rev later also. I think all the nextgen consoles maybe shipping with 512 now which helps for multiconcole releases. I think if the ps2 or GC had 64megs like the xbox there wouldn't be much difference graphically between any of them. GC only has 40ish and it rivals anything on the xbox.

I think this puts more pressure on Sony since they're using more expensive XDram. if they stick with 256 doesn't matter how powerful the system is, they MAY have lower detail textures. 512 XDR, BR laser, Cell, Nvidia GPU = pricier to manufacturer.

Thats the thing sony laughs at loosing money hand over fist at launch. I agree 512 megs is good but I was hoping that the bandwith would crush my almost 3 year old 9700 Pro.

Thats the thing sony laughs at loosing money hand over fist at launch. I agree 512 megs is good but I was hoping that the bandwith would crush my almost 3 year old 9700 Pro.

Okay first off . Do you think ms aren't loosing money hand over fist for this launch ?

Secondly can you please show me where the 9700pro has 10 megs of edram which offers 256 gb effective bandwidth ? Because i owned one and i'm pretty sure there wasn't any

jvd said:

Okay first off . Do you think ms aren't loosing money hand over fist for this launch ?

Secondly can you please show me where the 9700pro has 10 megs of edram which offers 256 gb effective bandwidth ? Because i owned one and i'm pretty sure there wasn't any

I was talking the unified rams bandwith. I was hoping for double the bandwith we got is all. I just don't want to see MS get smoked and drop out of the console business. I want someone to knock off sony this round because I am scared if they win they might be the only one left in the console business. I remember the day of nintendo being god of the consoles and how much better it got when sega one upped them.

quest55720 said:

It does, but you aren't looking in the right place. And I'm sure MS are losing money hand over fist on Xenon, and will be for a while.

I was talking the unified rams bandwith. I was hoping for double the bandwith we got is all. I just don't want to see MS get smoked and drop out of the console business. I want someone to knock off sony this round because I am scared if they win they might be the only one left in the console business. I remember the day of nintendo being god of the consoles and how much better it got when sega one upped them.

unified ram isn't as important since it has enough edram (more would have been nice and i stil lsay there will be more ) We also don't know what other bandwidth saving tech there is in the chip. They could have a hyperz 4 or 5 set up that we don't know about . There are many things we don't know . But the xgpu will have alot of bandwidth .

As for sega one upping nintendo . Remember they did it with a weaker system launching first .

Which is what ms is doing

jvd said:

unified ram isn't as important since it has enough edram (more would have been nice and i stil lsay there will be more ) We also don't know what other bandwidth saving tech there is in the chip. They could have a hyperz 4 or 5 set up that we don't know about . There are many things we don't know . But the xgpu will have alot of bandwidth .

As for sega one upping nintendo . Remember they did it with a weaker system launching first .

Which is what ms is doing

If I remember right the genesis did some things better and the SNES did somethings better. Also if I remember right many of the early SNES games were plagued with slow down.

Even though the genesis had a slow first 6 months the games I did play generally blow me away graphics wise.

The Genesis was the easier console to program for, but the SNES had more power available for developers. Compare the last gen games for SNES and Genesis. Huge graphical difference.

Teasy said:
Nintendo might have a year to "beef up specs" but that doesn't mean they'll use it for that. Look at their history.

So GC wasn't more powerful then PS2 in your opinion?...

In a lot of ways they seem to be pretty close - certainly going by EAs benchmarking and some developer comments I consider worth taking note of (lack of ram appears to have been a particular issue for multiplatform games). The GC was never really meant to stand out ahead of the PS2 though, unlike the Xbox.

Natoma said:
The Genesis was the easier console to program for, but the SNES had more power available for developers. Compare the last gen games for SNES and Genesis. Huge graphical difference.

I don't remember that big of a difference it might of came after the saturn and PS1 launched. I traded in my 16 bit systems for a PS1 software ect had a great trade in program for the PS1 launch. That saturn launch drained the bank account so I had to sacrifice for a shiny ps1:).

function said:
Teasy said:

So GC wasn't more powerful then PS2 in your opinion?...

In a lot of ways they seem to be pretty close - certainly going by EAs benchmarking and some developer comments I consider worth taking note of (lack of ram appears to have been a particular issue for multiplatform games). The GC was never really meant to stand out ahead of the PS2 though, unlike the Xbox.

After playing RE4 there is no question in my mind that the GC is superior to the PS2. I could only imagine how good GC games would look if developers spent as much time on GC games as they do PS2 games.

Back