Xbox 360 pre-MTV unveiling video

Acert93, yeah it looked that bad.

Like DemoCoder said, a lot of the games looked liked they were at 30 fps--- very choppy. Madden was the only one that wowed me but we don't yet know if that was realtime or prerendered.

Wow. Just... wow.

Microsoft's big unveiling on MTV sucked ass. All glitz and lights and rappers and dumb people that had nothing to do with the system or games.

If this is considered "good" or "cool" (or "phat" or "hip") or whatever by Microsoft's target market, than I am indeed too old for videogames. :?

Please, Sony and Nintendo - learn from this and do better.

I actually like the OurColony vid than the actual MTV unveiling. Better direction, and more informative in the HW front. MTV: 6 minutes of the The Killers, 9 minutes of celebs, 5 minutes useless junk (West Coast Custom segment, etc), 7 minutes commercial, and 3 minutes of actual game vids and game related materials.

But I'm not disappointed as I wasn't really expecting much from the show. Damn, it would've been 100 times better it was more like the OC video.

I guess we have to wait for E3 for hard details. And after this segment, something tells me MS is gonna get eat up by Sony.

- Z

ZoinKs! said:
Acert93, yeah it looked that bad.

Like DemoCoder said, a lot of the games looked liked they were at 30 fps--- very choppy. Madden was the only one that wowed me but we don't yet know if that was realtime or prerendered.

Thanks ZoinKs!, I appreciate it :( I loved PD and 007... And here is my question: How is a game like that running at 30fps, or even worse, 20fps as IGN states:

Eight games were shown -- seven viewable, one playable. Perfect Dark Zero was the only playable title, and it was underwhelming, looking early, dark, and chugging at under 20 FPS. This was clearly an odd strategy on MS's part. Why show Perfect Dark Zero to celebrities show don't even know who Rare or Joanna Dark are? Plus, Rare hates showing early games. Why would they show this before it was ready? We're not sure.

When Halo chugged at E3 back before the Xbox launch there was a reason: It looked awesome. Better than any PC shooter at the time and definately any console game. Halo's graphics were eye candy to the extreme.

I mean, the game could play great and have great balance, etc... I am not a total graphics guy... but the graphics do serve to immerse and I am not feeling that.

They should have showed Unreal Engine 3 footage 8)

I just saw the video - *thumbs up* - I quite like the features and the way the console is marketed accoarding to that video. I like the idea about the community - I guess it just depends how this will work out once its in people's home that don't have a very fast broadband connection (we're pretty limited overhere in terms of fast BB and mass-multiplayer games are quite difficult to play due to lag etc).

As for the screens... ugh. Not quite what I expected. Still browsing through the other threads though - only saw PDZ.

Well, this may explain the graphics some:

By far the most exciting aspect of Perfect Dark mentioned was the ability to use Xbox 360's camera to scan in the face and full body of one of the attendees for use in a multiplayer session.

When Xbox 360 and Perfect Dark are released, every gamer will be able to scan their own likeness into the game for the purpose of suitably representing themselves online.
So expect to see loads of naked men running around in the game when playing on Live then...

Commenting on the Perfect Dark demo, one of the interviewees said "the gameplay was smooth - the weapons amazing", before confirming 22 weapons were available in the demo, ranging from guns to grenade launchers.

Perfect Dark Zero will also feature realistic, Halo 2-style graphics and will boast a jet pack collectable that will allow gamers to fly freely around levels, gunning down other players from above.
http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=35696&subsectionid=1586

Being able to scan your body in is novel AND could explain some of the issues (poor models because they needed to be formatted to accept scans; low res textures because it is designed to accept 50 players scans of faces and bodies). So maybe there is an excuse...

Though they say it played smooth while the IGN and viewer comments say it really chugged.

Just watched the video from OurColony.net and yes, it's much better than the MTV special, BUT...

Microsoft's whole approach, from J Allard's extreme makeover to the quick-cut cameras and pimped-out Xbox, just reeks of a desperation and awkward uncertainty - like an adolescent dork who wants so badly to be cool. They're trying too hard to be something they're not, and in my book, that makes them pretenders.

I suddenly have a whole new respect for both Sony and Nintendo. I appreciate the dignity with which they've conducted themselves in the past. And though I think that in some ways, Miyamoto may be getting too old for all this, I think his earnestness and genuine love for games put him on a level these Microsoft people just can't even imagine.

Here's looking forward to the unveiling of Sony and Nintendo's new systems. I hope they come out of the gates a lot stronger than this.

Yes, I despise that catering to the hipster crowd, trying to be cool. These consoles are high-technology. Why not assume you audience aren't idiots for once. The whole thing reminds me of the short-shrift the technical Oscar awards get. The nerds who make much of it possible are hidden in the back and given 60 seconds of airtime.

Gag me with a spoon.

Maybe it went so fast but did I miss it?

I didnt see or hear anything about the specs: CPU, Ram, GPU etc. Did I miss something? I did see the unveiling as far as console look, wireless, some online details but didnt see any systems specs? Hmmm, Maybe Ill watch again in few hours. Anyone else see where the talked about system specs?

jpr27, they didn't mention tech specs at all. They had some idiots singing some stupid song, some idiot rapper visiting the "Pimp My Ride" guys who then modded an xbox 360, and a very, very ugly and unflattering look at Perfect Dark.

What a waste.

I haven't watched MTV much since Thriller, Beat It, Cindy Lauper, Duran Duran, Lionel Richie, A-HA, and Wham were featured artists. In other words, back when MTV was VH-1. :) MTV has essentially become BET IMHO.

i didn't watch mtv for a good 9 years then they brought back headbangers ball and i started watching only that show and once in a blue moon they would do a real world marathon

ninelven said:
Well, the videos available online are much better than anything I saw on MTV. It seems like they showed only the bad stuff (except NFS and Madden). They should have just aired the "unveiling" and a few of the better trailers. The community outlook is promising; as well as networking with one's computer. Let's just hope they let you use a keyboard this time, or at least your computer's keyboard for management tasks.

I just read somewhere that's exactly what they will allow: they will allow USB keyboards for stuff like messaging...but not for gaming.

Kolgar said:
I suddenly have a whole new respect for both Sony and Nintendo. I appreciate the dignity with which they've conducted themselves in the past. .

Yup. Same thing at GDC. All the Microsoft reps were saying how the next-gen xbox is so awesome, will revolutionaize the gaming industry, and what not. They had massive "short guy" syndrome, trying to get your attention with the "look at me!" attitude. Allard was even bashing Sony during his keynote speech*. Real professional!

When I asked the Sony guy about next-gen PS3, he just said "We've got something planned for next-gen.". And that's it. No bashing MS or Nintendo. No gloating.

* I'm just bitter that I still haven't received my HDTV prize :)

Wow, that video is so bad, it took me 3 tries (and some extensive use of the mute button) to actually go beyond the first few lines of Mr. Allard. Seriously, can it get any more cheesy? :rolleyes:

Damn it, what a load of bull this was, I really wanna puke right now. How I hate these group-wanking, product-pimping, information-lacking exercises of creative art direction. Nicely done visiually, though. Other than that, I'm all :devilish: .

Back