DOA4 screens

What holds it back is the lack of a real lighting model. The models and environments have that lit-all-over look and the light sources don't really make visual sense. No self-shadowing or proper shadow casting is another problem. I'm convinced it would look far, far better with real lighting.

Had a look at all the screenshots now, and yep, this looks very nice. What did anyone think a DoA game was going to look like? Photorealism? A complete change in art style?
Something a bit closer to their own DOA FMVs? Characters with hair, lighting, self shadowing and shading present in what at the time of DOA4 release will be one year old nvidia Nalu demo? This game after all has only two characters on the screen. That sort of expectation is unreasonable?

Lazy8s said:
They're still cleaning up PR shots with a lot of extra anti-aliasing like before of course, and the drop to the real game will still be noticeable. But, at least it won't look like an almost totally different game when comparing PR to reality like what happens with current-gen games (especially those that don't support proscan.)
This game will likely use TAA (since it'll be running at 60fps), so if they've got like ~8xAA in those screens, we should expect similar results on screen with 4xTAA.

This looks very possible on the Xbox. I mean, DOA3 looks superb and it was a first gen title. Either this is running on the same engine and has been simply polished up due to time constraints, or they are seriously not trying. I'm willing to bet its the former. They still have time to implement a number of effects.

ok guys.. I almost got 100% proof these are early pics from long ago

''DoAU test engine running in high def to test the gameplay while Tecmo waited for updated X360 dev kit so they could start upgrading the software, thats the most likely explanation.''

anyway ...wait for E3 ;)

This does bring to mind XBox 1.5. The backgrounds are alot more detailed, and the lighting is a little better, but it's not amazing for a next-generation title. That said, I'm absolutely positive that none of the launch titles will really tap the power of the system. The best looking game is supposedly Gears of War, which uses the Unreal Engine 3, which was designed with the X800 and GF6800 in mind. All of these games look like they could easily be run on todays PC video cards, and I know X360 is more powerful than that (3 3.2GHz CPUs, 6 cores total, next-gen GPU). Considering how long developers have (or haven't) had dev-kits it's not surprising that the games aren't absolutely amazing. I expect 2nd gen games to look MUCH nicer. Of course, I expect PS3 games to look nicer too...

BOOMEXPLODE said:
All of these games look like they could easily be run on todays PC video cards, and I know X360 is more powerful than that (3 3.2GHz CPUs, 6 cores total, next-gen GPU).
1 CPU, 3 cores, 2 threads per core, 6 threads total.

Apparantly these aren't real Dead or Alive 4 screenshots. I've been told they are leaked old testscreens, with old character models functioning as placeholders, running in high resolution to test gameplay and leveldesign. They are _not_ coming from Tecmo and were _not_ leaked intentionally.

Might be some early Dead or Alive 4 leveldesigns you are seeing, but none of it is 'Dead or Alive 4' footage.

hey69 said:
''DoAU test engine running in high def to test the gameplay while Tecmo waited for updated X360 dev kit so they could start upgrading the software, thats the most likely explanation.''

Hopefully they have spent a LOT of time on gameplay (based on the reviews for the last version). :?

Acert93 said:
hey69 said:

Hopefully they have spent a LOT of time on gameplay (based on the reviews for the last version). :?

It was a remake after all, they didn't implant any new gameplay features... ;)

I'm no DOA expert but I've read that some of the characters are new. So are the locations I think. The cloth physics also look improved over the old games.

JF_Aidan_Pryde said:
And thinking about this vs. PS3 graphics, unless Cell kicks major butt and NVIDIA pulls some magic out of the air, there's just not going to be that much difference.

Based on this? :LOL:

Good lord, I'd be disappointed for one. There's not much point in upgrading your console if you think this represents the point of diminishing returns. It hardly looks next-gen at all IMO, when you look at the DOAs on Xbox.

Very disappointed in this.

Confidence-Man said:
What holds it back is the lack of a real lighting model. The models and environments have that lit-all-over look and the light sources don't really make visual sense. No self-shadowing or proper shadow casting is another problem. I'm convinced it would look far, far better with real lighting.

But that would be asking a Japanese games company to develop a modern graphics engine!

Titanio said:
JF_Aidan_Pryde said:
And thinking about this vs. PS3 graphics, unless Cell kicks major butt and NVIDIA pulls some magic out of the air, there's just not going to be that much difference.

Based on this? :LOL:

Good lord, I'd be disappointed for one. There's not much point in upgrading your console if you think this represents the point of diminishing returns. It hardly looks next-gen at all IMO, when you look at the DOAs on Xbox.

Very disappointed in this.

Check above posts, the footage isn't from DOA4...

Also, there are people saying that these screens were up on Tecmo's press FTP. So while they may not have been released intentionally they are absolutely from Tecmo.

cybamerc said:
Also, there are people saying that these screens were up on Tecmo's press FTP. So while they may not have been released intentionally they are absolutely from Tecmo.

The big question is who leaked the screenshots, I am guessing an outsider.

hey69 said:
ok guys.. I almost got 100% proof these are early pics from long ago

anyway ...wait for E3 ;)

Dead-On-Arrival 4 it won't be then! :p

Back