First Shot of Tetsuya Mizuguchi's Ninety Nine Nights

I think the trees look ok enough, but the ground really seems to have had no effort applied. As certain parties would say, "look at those horrible textures!"

Heck, you'd think they'd have been able to bump their quality up a lot considering all those pretty soldiers are covering up most of it anyway... ;)

Looks nice, though. I do hope the final product (and future games in general) won't keep this current gen's environmental detail to bring about next gen's character detail, though.

Looks good to me. Huge crowds is something I've wanted to see in games for ages now, good that it's finally happening. People should hope this game plays as well as it looks, IMO. :)

To be honest I have no idea even what genre it's in, but considering it seems to depict a battle, a RTS of some sort seems a logical guess...

When I first read this thread, and others on other forums, I couldn't actually see the pics because the contrast was so bad on the monitor I was using (bad college library monitors), but from people's reactions I was getting pretty stoked. Now that I can see them, I can't say it's as impressive as it was in my mind :cry: The number of characters is nice (hello geometry instancing!), but technically there's nothing mindblowing going on here. The environment is letting it down too. I guess I expected something more..(i might be more impressed if that female character in the foreground turned around and let us see her next-gen face!)

Technicalities/Graphics aside, I'm glad MS is getting a style of game like this so soon in X360's life :)

On thing that WILL bug me is that those will be 500 clones. All of them looking exaclty the same. Or, if we're lucky, we'll get 4 or 5 "variations" of the same soldier. Still freaky.

The characters look nice. But really, the only impressive thing about this screen is the number of characters. Fake reflections, very limited shadowing and the environment is barely lives up to current gen standards.

london-boy said:
On thing that WILL bug me is that those will be 500 clones. All of them looking exaclty the same. Or, if we're lucky, we'll get 4 or 5 "wariations" of the same soldier. Still freaky.
Talk to Lucas. :p ;)

HappyBread said:
Sill going to have jaggy shadows next gen?

I noticed that too. The edges don't look aliased on the models, but other stuff does (like the shadows).

I'm increasingly less impressed with this (purely on a technical level) but something tells me I'll be more suitable impressed within the next 24 hours :) PGR3, anyone? A Team Ninja game, perhaps? Fingers crossed.

Bad collision detection look at where the boot flare mysteriously overlaps the back of her garment

the shadows are fine though as I can see the shadow of the sword across the ground infront of each character.

london-boy said:
On thing that WILL bug me is that those will be 500 clones. All of them looking exaclty the same. Or, if we're lucky, we'll get 4 or 5 "variations" of the same soldier. Still freaky.
Can't you apply different textures and/or normal maps to instanced geometry? How about different combinations of leg, torso, head meshes, as well as different normals/textures? If that's possible, I don't see why you couldn't have hundreds of unique models in memory at a time.

blakjedi said:
Bad collision detection look at where the boot flare mysteriously overlaps the back of her garment

the shadows are fine though as I can see the shadow of the sword across the ground infront of each character.

Per poly collision detection should fix that right? Like in Doom 3...

Surely developers can just do that now with all the extra CPU power?

Alstrong said:
blakjedi said:

Per poly collision detection should fix that right? Like in Doom 3...

Surely developers can just do that now with all the extra CPU power?
Except there's less polygons in a whole Doom 3 imp than in just the leg of that model.

I think you guys don't have a full understanding of the limits on game development. You won't ever see per poly collision detection on every polygon in a scene.

For a game like KUF, I was thinking of limiting the detection to within reason... like where the player is fighting. It doesn't have to be per poly for everybody fighting. Could always just have it the way Doom 3 does it... I think... Bounding box checks and then per poly collision where expected? I forget.

Iron Tiger said:
london-boy said:
Can't you apply different textures and/or normal maps to instanced geometry? How about different combinations of leg, torso, head meshes, as well as different normals/textures? If that's possible, I don't see why you couldn't have hundreds of unique models in memory at a time.

Dont know, can you?

You can in Maya, not sure if you can in realtime.

Apparently it was actually developed by the Korean developer Phantagram and produced by Mizuguchi. So it was reasonable to see a similarity between KUF (developed by Phantagram) and this game.
How much did Mizuguchi actually involve with this game is a mystery... :?:

This is certainly possible on Xbox360 in realtime, considering DeanoC's comments about Heavens Gate which runs on current PC hardware.

Back