The whole PSP 222Mhz...

Battery technology seems to be improving pretty decently. That is, however, NO guarantee it will continue to OR that Sony will make a new battery for the PSP that utilizes it.
I'm pretty sure the psp has a hefty and expensive battery already in it . Yes tech is improving but will it improve fast enough ?

If in 2007 they put out a 65nm psp and from this they get another 3 hours on battery life at 333mhz with out the need of a battery then we are screwed .

Even with a new battery the new units will get a much greater life than the early adopters .

For a handheld battery life is very important .

For 99% of the public, that is hardly going to be an issue

No ? 99% of the public wont be upset when they have to buy another 50$ battery ?

Are you sure you don't have a thing against Sony?

Heh becasue i want a portable unit to have long battery life ?

Would u be happy with a cell phone that gets 5 hours battery life ? Its not really fufulling its purpose .

Not everyone cuts thier time short on what they are doing so they can go home and charge a unit

I've had times where i've gone out , come home gotten a call and wetn out again , the battery died out on me and i was sol . So now the psp is roughly a lounging item . Like if i'm sitting around by the pool i will play it . But it stoped being a portable unit a long time ago . Just like my nomad did .

Don't try to cast me as anti sony because i point out a flaw in the system.

Would u be happy with a cell phone that gets 5 hours battery life ? Its not really fufulling its purpose .

You really need to qualify these statements sometimes you know... 5 hours *talk* time on a decent, modern mobile *is* impressive. 5 hours standby time on a mobile would suck...

I've had times where i've gone out , come home gotten a call and wetn out again , the battery died out on me and i was sol . So now the psp is roughly a lounging item . Like if i'm sitting around by the pool i will play it . But it stoped being a portable unit a long time ago . Just like my nomad did .

That's too bad, but that's just a simple fact of life that mobile devices are going to have batteries that die out at inconvenient times. You just don't sound like a very portable toting person actually. I tote a PowerBook just about everywhere I go and it has far worse battery life (and I carry a spare battery to boot) than my PSP and it has died at far more inconvenient times than my PSP has, yet that doesn't mean that it stop being a portable...

One nice thing the PSP has over the DS is that a battery is more easily field replaceable (something that's bugged about the SP and DS over even the older GameBoys)...

You really need to qualify these statements sometimes you know... 5 hours *talk* time on a decent, modern mobile *is* impressive. 5 hours standby time on a mobile would suck...
stand by of course .

That's too bad, but that's just a simple fact of life that mobile devices are going to have batteries that die out at inconvenient times. You just don't sound like a very portable toting person actually. I tote a PowerBook just about everywhere I go and it has far worse battery life (and I carry a spare battery to boot) than my PSP and it has died at far more inconvenient times than my PSP has, yet that doesn't mean that it stop being a portable...

actually i carry a cell phone , ipod , pda , and ds with me where ever i go. But i'm on the move alot when i go out nad its not simply go to the mall and come back.

One nice thing the PSP has over the DS is that a battery is more easily field replaceable (something that's bugged about the SP and DS over even the older GameBoys)...
eh the ds takes about 10 seconds to change the battery , just put in a thumb screw instead of the normal screw . But the ds gets about twice the battery life .

Hahahaha, you're comparing the PSP's active battery life to a mobile's standby battery life?

Why? What's the point? Are you playing your PSP non-stop when you take it with you?

PSP standby battery life is awesome btw.. I love being able to pause a game, and come back to it several days later and just keep playing, without having even seen a wall socket :) Can you do that with DS actually? Serious question, I have no idea. You couldn't with any of my previous handheld systems.

Can you do that with DS actually
i left my ds on for 2 hours as when you close it with out shuting it down it goes into a low power mode.

But thats beside the point. I was trying to make a point . That just like you wouldn't settle for a phone that had 5 hours standby you wouldn't get a portable video game system that only had 5 hours game play .

I like to be able to grab and go and i don't allways have enough time to fully charge a battery .

stand by of course .

Kind of a silly comparison don't you think? Standby time is pretty pointless. A better analogy would've been your PDA... How's your PDA's battery life?

actually i carry a cell phone , ipod , pda , and ds with me where ever i go. But i'm on the move alot when i go out nad its not simply go to the mall and come back.

On foot? Car? Train?

eh the ds takes about 10 seconds to change the battery , just put in a thumb screw instead of the normal screw . But the ds gets about twice the battery life .

And it would've been better to not have to go out and get a thumb screw and just gone with a snap-on cover (or modular battery pack).

It sounds like jvd just doesn't want to ever have to charge the batteries for his devices.

All my stuff - iPod, T610, PSP - needs to be charged about every 2 days if I want to be sure I'm not going to run out of juice if I'm using them regularly. It's really not that hard to plug it in and recharge it. The PSP is neither more or less convenient than my other devices, exactly what Sony was aiming for.

jvd said:
Can you do that with DS actually
i left my ds on for 2 hours as when you close it with out shuting it down it goes into a low power mode.

But thats beside the point. I was trying to make a point . That just like you wouldn't settle for a phone that had 5 hours standby you wouldn't get a portable video game system that only had 5 hours game play .

I like to be able to grab and go and i don't allways have enough time to fully charge a battery .

Except many people apparently *have* gotten a portable video game system that has only 5 hours of game play (actually closer to 6 in my experience playing wipeout).

And I like to be able to grab and go too yet the PSP hasn't cramped that lifestyle for me... Hell both my iPods have died at inconvenient times for me than my PSP has as well...

Kind of a silly comparison don't you think? Standby time is pretty pointless. A better analogy would've been your PDA... How's your PDA's battery life?
not to bad actually , However my pda is allways off unless i have to acess things or add dates into it . So if i use it 30 mins of the day that is alot

On foot? Car? Train?
sometimes all 3

And it would've been better to not have to go out and get a thumb screw and just gone with a snap-on cover (or modular battery pack).
well i can play the ds for 10 hours if not more (i've gotten up to 13 hours playing mario 64 ) so i would have to change a psp battery for the second time before i change my ds battery once

It sounds like jvd just doesn't want to ever have to charge the batteries for his devices
No what i want is a device that i can use whenever i need it between 9am and 2am and then charge it while i sleep . Because I rarely know whats going to happen or how the night is going to go 5 hours is not enough. I would like to have more than 10. I would be happy with anything over 15 hours . That is my sweet spot .

That way i don't need to carry around more battery packs or power cords or whatever and I can come and go as i please . So if we decide to hit up the drive in movie thearter spur of the moment i don't need to worry that my psp will die on me because i was playing it with my friends at the dinner while we were figuring out where togo .

I like the graphics and i like some of the games . But the battery life is killer and if there is a bump up to 333mhz its going to be worse

jvd said:
I'm pretty sure the psp has a hefty and expensive battery already in it . Yes tech is improving but will it improve fast enough ?

Err, that's why I wrote

Battery technology seems to be improving pretty decently. That is, however, NO guarantee it will continue to OR that Sony will make a new battery for the PSP that utilizes it.

jvd said:
For a handheld battery life is very important .

I can agree. So is ergonomics - like being able to hold it comfortably. The PSP isn't the best with its analog nub placement but I find holding the DS in my hands and using its stylus even more difficult. But you don't see me complaining about it because it's a personal matter. Some have bigger/smaller hands and so it's not an issue with them. I, however, will not fault Nintendo for a design choice.

jvd said:
No ? 99% of the public wont be upset when they have to buy another 50$ battery ?

If they HAD to buy a battery, then sure. The question is, will they have to? You seem awfully sure about that based on what? What if only a few games go to 333 Mhz? It's all doom-and-gloom for you about the PSP. What if people here said, the Microphone will never be used for the DS? Would that be fair?

jvd said:
Heh becasue i want a portable unit to have long battery life ?

Don't try to cast me as anti sony because i point out a flaw in the system.

Nope, it's because it's of all your doom-and-gloom negativity towards Sony.

If they HAD to buy a battery, then sure. The question is, will they have to? You seem awfully sure about that based on what? What if only a few games go to 333 Mhz? It's all doom-and-gloom for you about the PSP. What if people here said, the Microphone will never be used for the DS? Would that be fair?

They will at some point in the future if they use the psp as a jack of all trades. It will be used for movie watching , mp3 playback and video games and will have to replace those in terms of usage . Though thats only if sony is successful in making an "ipod killer"

The PSP isn't the best with its analog nub placement but I find holding the DS in my hands and using its stylus even more difficult.

U can change that buy getting a thumb strap for the ds . That way both hands are on the controler , both triggers are usable and its held properly in the hand .

However with the psp the nub will allways be in that bad place unless they redisgn the system but that will still leave those with the older version sol .

Nope, it's because it's of all your doom-and-gloom negativity towards Sony.

Think what you want . Owning a psp allows me to actually talk about a psp. If i don't like something i'm going to talk about it . If i like something I'm going to talk about it . I've already talked about games I enjoy on tehse forums on the psp .

Some here just wnat to look at me complain about the battery life and throw anti sony around because they know the battery is a problem and a flaw in the system .

mech said:
PSP standby battery life is awesome btw.. I love being able to pause a game, and come back to it several days later and just keep playing, without having even seen a wall socket Can you do that with DS actually? Serious question, I have no idea. You couldn't with any of my previous handheld systems.
one day i was playing mario64 while my daughter was sleeping, when she woke up i closed it (and it went into standby) and played with her. a bit later i went back looking for my ds to find it missing. about 5 days later i found it had fallen behind my sofa (i assume my daugher put it back there). the red "charge me" light was on, but i opened it and mario was running right where i had left off.

recently i downloaded the polarium demo from a friend and left my DS sleeping between games (so i could hang onto the demo) for 4 days without charging it. i only played the polarium demo enough to get through all of the "how to play" exercises and beat the 10 puzzles it comes with.

that should give you a rough estimate of how long the DS last while in standby. judging from my mario experience i think on a full charge (mine had been played for quite a bit) you can last a good week if you put it to sleep and leave it.

Dr Evil said:
I honestly believe that 5h mobile gaming per day, should be enough, actually I think it's too much.

yes. during the rest of the day you can use it as an mp3 player, and occasionally as a video player.. if it had the battery lifespan, that is.

darkblu said:
Dr Evil said:
I honestly believe that 5h mobile gaming per day, should be enough, actually I think it's too much.

yes. during the rest of the day you can use it as an mp3 player, and occasionally as a video player.. if it had the battery lifespan, that is.

I guess that's correct. If you had time in the day to spare like that. Personally, i don't even have 2 hours to spare for this stuff, so really, i'll be happy when i have one.

jvd said:
They will at some point in the future if they use the psp as a jack of all trades. It will be used for movie watching , mp3 playback and video games and will have to replace those in terms of usage . Though thats only if sony is successful in making an "ipod killer"

If consumers have to replace their PSP because they're using it so much then I think that means it's been widely accepted into their lives. Personally I don't think that's going to happen but if you do, hey. ;)

jvd said:
U can change that buy getting a thumb strap for the ds . That way both hands are on the controler , both triggers are usable and its held properly in the hand .

My thumb doesn't move as smoothly as I'd like for this. It's an interesting alternative but I need more practice.

jvd said:
However with the psp the nub will allways be in that bad place unless they redisgn the system but that will still leave those with the older version sol .

I think holding the PSP is more comfortable than holding the DS, but that's me. When using the stylus I find I need to put the DS on a table, hardly something I consider feasible for a portable. That's a flaw. ;)

jvd said:
Think what you want . Owning a psp allows me to actually talk about a psp. If i don't like something i'm going to talk about it . If i like something I'm going to talk about it . I've already talked about games I enjoy on tehse forums on the psp .

But did you actually pay for it? It certainly means you have experience with it but does not mean you're objective about it.

jvd said:
Some here just wnat to look at me complain about the battery life and throw anti sony around because they know the battery is a problem and a flaw in the system .

Try a little exercise. Everytime you post, make a note of if it's negative towards any company. Then tally it up at the end of the day. You might surprise yourself.

Try a little exercise. Everytime you post, make a note of if it's negative towards any company. Then tally it up at the end of the day. You might surprise yourself.

well today its an even tie between sony and ms and i actually put down nintendo ...

as for your thumb , get a thumb strap , they sell them for pda's it helps alot and u can use the stylus while holding it in 2 hands

Besides the whole MHz thing, does anyone know where to get complete specs of the PSP's CPU (amount of cache, voltage, FSB, etc.) & GPU (pipelines, texture units, T&L, etc.), and how they compare to the PS2's?

Would also be pretty cool to actually see the PSP mainboard as well. I'm to scared to open mine.

How accurate are those Sony documents?

It says that the PSP GPU has 2MB VRAM, and I thought they had upgraded it to 4MB. Also, does it still have dual MIPS CPU's?

Back