Full Xbox 360 specs. Oh...my.....God!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DemoCoder said:
Your view of gaming is too narrow and FPS or RTS specic. If you play a fighting game, platform game, racing game, or sports game, the mouse and keyboard are actually inferior controls.

There is more to gaming than just twitch-FPS gaming.

Well, I play pretty much nothing but fps. So yes.

HHmmm well I don't like fighting games e.g mortal combat and I don't like sports games. However I do like raceing games, but I preffer to play them with a keyboard or joystick over a pad.

I'd buy a Game cube just to play the fun simple games like monkey ball, but for anything else I'd rather just stick with my PC.

My last console was. . .let's see. . .yes, PONG. Tho I did have one of those first-gen little handheld 90-yard football games too.

Yet oddly, enuf, I prefer a gamepad (when it is supported) for PC gaming. Call me weird.

I never liked TV's as monitors for gaming, for one thing, and always preferred the flexibility of the PC. Tho now that consoles will be doing HD I may have to revisit that at some point.

Unknown Soldier said:
bloodbob said:
mouse would make it two easy for non mousers

You saying the none mousers would thrash the mouser is fps games?

Hmm .. I don't think so.

US

AFAIK, for consoles there is always some auto-aiming going on, otherwise it's very hard to actually hit something.

"Custom ATI Graphics Processor
- 500 MNz
- 10 MB embedded DRAM
- 48-way parallel floating-point shader pipelines
- unified shader architecture "

sneak peek at the R520???? 48 programmable pipes??? hmmmmmm

or perhaps even more for the 520 :)

Those specs are indeed unbelievable, considering how much it would cost to build a similar spec'ed PC. What is the estimate of MSRP?

Moose said:
"Custom ATI Graphics Processor
- 500 MNz
- 10 MB embedded DRAM
- 48-way parallel floating-point shader pipelines
- unified shader architecture "

sneak peek at the R520???? 48 programmable pipes??? hmmmmmm

or perhaps even more for the 520 :)

48 ALUs, not pipes. It supposedly only has 8 ROPs so it can only write 8 pixels per cycle. That would mean 6 ALUs per ROP. Presumably, these are "pooled" so that any pixel in flight can grab an ALU if it needs it, otherwise if a given shader doesn't have alot of ILP, the ALUs will sit IDLE which is bad.

if next gen consoles come up with good mouse keyboard replacement, PC-gaming is standing left foot in the grave. PC-gaming won't die (heck, I play even with Commodore 64 in monthly basis.), but it will shrink to very special genres and small games. (in fact where it originally came from.)

With just price of graphics card, you get system that will 99.999% sure run all games as it is ment to be during it's lifetime with full detail and without any worry about need of upgrades / updates. For freaks that needs better resolutions than SDTV, there's HDTV. For game developers there's much better sold / warez games ratio.

so, Why to stay in sinking ship?

and then, about game controllers... I started with Digital ATARI/CBM/SEGA standard joystick (TAC-2 and Competition Pro IV to be exact.) and I hated keyboard back then as controller. When Commodore was left behind and I moved to PC, I was actually scared if I would learn to play with keyboard... ...it took as long as 2 evenings and I am still using keyboard.

Again, I am not 100% comfortable with pad, but that won't prevent me buying a console if that time comes. If that means I have to learn to play with different controller, then I will do it. (in fact I was already about to buy GC, but my old promise not to buy any Nintendo stuff untill they give apologies about what they did to Giana Sisters prevented me. ;) )

I also remember the times when AMIGA users were stating that there's no way making fast and good platformer for PC and that would keep AMIGA alive... ...well, basically first Jazz The JackRabbit proved point 1 to be incorrect and after that platformers as well as AMIGA died.

IMO, we are watching a change here... only time shows if consoles get keyboard + mouse replacement. Fact is that PC releases in gaming frontier are more and more just conversions from consoles and not vice versa like it used to be.

DemoCoder said:
48 ALUs, not pipes. It supposedly only has 8 ROPs so it can only write 8 pixels per cycle. That would mean 6 ALUs per ROP. Presumably, these are "pooled" so that any pixel in flight can grab an ALU if it needs it, otherwise if a given shader doesn't have alot of ILP, the ALUs will sit IDLE which is bad.
What does ILP (I guess you mean instruction level parallelism) matter if you have lots of threads in flight? Worst case is a short pixel shader in a pixel-limited situation.

Xmas, Well, if it works like the ALUs on ATI and NVidia cards today, the ALUs are not completely general purpose. For example, if you have an ALU (just as an unrealistic example) which only does ADD and another that does MUL, than a shader which consists of ADD/MUL will run faster than a shader that is MUL/MUL, as the ADD APU will be "idle" alot more. Moreover, a ADD/MUL that is dependent doesn't run as well as one that can be dual-issued, even given many pixels in flight. Don't ask me why, maybe its latency or pipeline bubbles, but code optimized for maximum dual issue runs faster.

I am not inclined to believe that all 48 ALUs on the X-Box are completely general purpose and can do any standard ALU op.

Nappe1 said:
if next gen consoles come up with good mouse keyboard replacement, PC-gaming is standing left foot in the grave.

[snip]

With just price of graphics card, you get system that will 99.999% sure run all games as it is ment to be during it's lifetime with full detail and without any worry about need of upgrades / updates.
IMO, we are watching a change here... only time shows if consoles get keyboard + mouse replacement. Fact is that PC releases in gaming frontier are more and more just conversions from consoles and not vice versa like it used to be.

100% in agreement. What I don't understand is why console makers haven't figured that out yet. What is so hard about supplying a port for a keyboard/mouse or any other control the user wants to use. :rolleyes:

As far as price goes I'm really close to just letting my PC gaming hobby go the console route. As you say I couldn't buy a next gen video card for what the xbox 360 will probably cost. To say nothing of the new processor/mobo/memory/Hd etc etc etc that I'd have to upgrade to even come close to matching the power of the 360.

Maybe ATI is delaying the R520 because once people see the Xbox360 no one will want one anyway.

Ragemare said:
HHmmm well I don't like fighting games e.g mortal combat and I don't like sports games. However I do like raceing games, but I preffer to play them with a keyboard or joystick over a pad.

I'd buy a Game cube just to play the fun simple games like monkey ball, but for anything else I'd rather just stick with my PC.

Point being, mouse and keyboard sucks for racing games. So don't you like platformers, fighters, flight sims, and all other games on which a keyboard+mouse sucks in comparison to pad/joystick/wheel/etc. Many people like those games.

My original point stands, they are many games for which a mouse+keyboard are NOT the optimal user interface. And there are in fact, lots of games where a gaming pad works better.

DemoCoder said:
Ragemare said:

Point being, mouse and keyboard sucks for racing games. So don't you like platformers, fighters, flight sims, and all other games on which a keyboard+mouse sucks in comparison to pad/joystick/wheel/etc. Many people like those games.

My original point stands, they are many games for which a mouse+keyboard are NOT the optimal user interface. And there are in fact, lots of games where a gaming pad works better.

id much rather have a joystick+keyboard for my flightsims

Sorry if I contributed to the off-topicness but perhaps discussions about console controllers can be done in another forum. Actually, I'm not even sure if this thread belongs in this forum!

2. All games supported at 16:9, 720p and 1080i, anti-aliasing

My bolds. Would be interesting to see what we'd be getting (software and hardware-wise). Wonder how useful AA would be on a TV.

Mulciber said:
id much rather have a joystick+keyboard for my flightsims

I think you'll find Joystick listed in my post above. Joystick != mouse. As for keyboard, I prefer sticks and controllers that have oodles of buttons instead of having to go to the keyboard.

For counter-strike, after years of using just a stick, I switched to a Nostromo Speedpad + mouse, which is way better than my keyboard for FPSes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back