R520 launch delayed?

Yer - wouldn't surprise me. I still get issues with a PCI bus on a nforce mobo with a HDTV card and heavy pci disk load. Thing can crash.
Maybe all that projected data makes the PCI-E bus unstable on these 'early' revision mobo's or similar?

IgnorancePersonified said:
How much bandwidth is avialable on a dvi to dvi connector?
Was hoping there would be a "connector less" dual vid card solution at some stage.
495MB/s for DVI.

Re: from Anands Blog

nagus said:
http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/default.aspx

...I will know more about ATI's GPU later this week, so stay tuned.

R500 or R520?

:p

I would as well, but until the damn army duty is over, I can't leave the country :(

DevilsRejection said:
mashie said:
IgnorancePersonified said:
How much bandwidth is avialable on a dvi to dvi connector?
Was hoping there would be a "connector less" dual vid card solution at some stage.
495MB/s for DVI.

link, did you just pull that number out of thin air hehe?
You mean you don't trust me? :(

Ah well, here is a link.

Max clock frequency: 165MHz
Pixels per clock: 1
Bits per pixel: 24

165MHz x 3 byte = 495 MB/s ;)

ATI Records “CrossFire†Trademark

ATI Technologies has applied to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for registering CrossFire brand-name. Currently it is unclear what the trademark should mean, but it is highly possible that CrossFire will be the official brand to mark the company’s multi-VPU technology, which, according to some web-sites, will be introduced in weeks.

“ATI CrossFire†and “CrossFire†were registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office in early May by attorney of record Lynn M. Jordan. The exact meaning of the brand-name is unclear and ATI’s official spokesperson declined to comment on the matter. Crossfire means bullets fired towards a point from different directions, which may be a metaphor of frames rendered by different graphics cards.

About a week ago a web-site published a story claiming that ATI’s forthcoming R520 would not be launched in June, 2005, as expected, but will be announced at a later date due to release of ATI’s multi-VPU technology, which now has some chances to be called ATI CrossFire. While ATI’s officials do not comment on the unannounced products, some sources close to the company indicated that the information has good chances to be accurate and ATI would launch its next-generation VPU when it is feasible from the tactical point of view, as currently the company’s RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition is the world’s fastest single-chip graphics accelerator. Some other sources said ATI was seriously working on the launch of the company’s multi-GPU consumer technology.

The multi-GPU technology from ATI will have a number of fundamental shifts from technologies of this kind, sources close to ATI said late last year. The main thing ATI was working on is how to enable two different graphics cards to work in pair, providing enhancements to gamers who use the technology. In early 2005 ATI indicated to its partners that the technology did not require any physical connectors between the cards, but also noted that two identical graphics cards have to be installed. Some sources close to the company also said that ATI’s multi-VPU technology is concentrated on improving image quality on the first place rather than adding substantial performance boost over single-VPU configurations.

Officials from ATI do not comment on unreleased products.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20050518101544.html

I know . .rumours again .. but what the hell .. it's been quite.

ATi Xaveon R520 Series Info

ATi's R520 GPU will named as Xaveon and it will come in 4 versions : XT, Pro, Standard and HD. Xaveon will support the AMR technology also known as Multi-VPU technology. Two Xaveon cores in the AMR mode will gain 60%Â￾`90% performance improvement over a single card and 2.5 times powerful than GeForce 6800U in SLI mode.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=2207&s=1

US

p.s also note .. the GeForce 7800 ??

GeForce 7800 GTX (G70) Specs

* 0.11 micron process TSMC
* 430Mhz core / 1.4GHz 256MB GDDR3 memory
* 256-bit memory interface
* 38.4GB/s memory bandwidth
* 10.32Bps Fill Rate
* 860M vertices/second
* 24 pixels per clock
* 400MHz RAMDACs
* NVIDIA CineFX 4.0 engine
* Intellisample 4.0 technology
* 64-bit FP texture filtering & blending
* NVIDIA SLI Ready (7800 GTX only)
* DX 9.0 / SM 3.0 & OpenGL 2.0 supported
* G70 comes with 3 models; GTX, GT and Standard
* Single card requires min. 400W PSU with 12V rating of 26A
* SLI configuration requires min. 500W PSU with 12V rating of 34A
* Launch : 22nd of June

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=2206&s=1

Unknown Soldier said:
Some sources close to the company also said that ATI’s multi-VPU technology is concentrated on improving image quality on the first place rather than adding substantial performance boost over single-VPU configurations.

Oh, PLEASE let this be true. I've said all along that multi-card solutions don't make much sense to me absent the ability to crank up iq settings beyond single-card solutions.

Hmm, maybe a wrinkle on Temporal in AFR? With one card doing one pattern and the other the other pattern? Come to think of it, I would have thought that would be a cheap (i.e. from development pov) way for NV to do it too in sli.

Well, this is kind of a mess, but the interesting thing is the NDA event next week in London. . .

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23324

That special connector thing only on these rare master cards has me scratching my head --what would it hook up to if the other card doesn't have it? They seem to be saying that only R520 cards can be masters, but then how could they launch CrossFire without R520? Surely, they wouldn't launch a new subset of X8xx cards with the new connectors at this point? Typical Inq internal contradictions studiously ignored.

geo said:
That special connector thing only on these rare master cards has me scratching my head --what would it hook up to if the other card doesn't have it?

The most popular belief is connect the DVI-OUT of your old (slave) card to a "DVI-IN" connector on the master.

They are not saying that onlt R520 cards can be masters. There will be new variant of X800/X850 cards that can be used as masters.

geo said:
Unknown Soldier said:
Some sources close to the company also said that ATI’s multi-VPU technology is concentrated on improving image quality on the first place rather than adding substantial performance boost over single-VPU configurations.

Oh, PLEASE let this be true. I've said all along that multi-card solutions don't make much sense to me absent the ability to crank up iq settings beyond single-card solutions.

Hmm, maybe a wrinkle on Temporal in AFR? With one card doing one pattern and the other the other pattern? Come to think of it, I would have thought that would be a cheap (i.e. from development pov) way for NV to do it too in sli.
SLI already has the ability to go beyond single-card setups IQ-wise because NVidia supports supersampling and hybrid AA modes. I see this quote as a hint that ATI will support hybrid modes, too. Each card applying multisampling with a different pattern and slightly shifted, then mixing the two signals (gamma-adjusted?) for 8x or 12x AA.

Mixing cards from different generations is a stupid idea IMO, and I don't think ATI will support that.

Joe DeFuria said:
They are not saying that onlt R520 cards can be masters. There will be new variant of X800/X850 cards that can be used as masters.

Hmm. That starts to look like R520 delay is marketing driven to give these new X8xx variants their day in the sun before they become second-class performers.

Ati has been a great puzzlement to me of late. I really can't tell anymore if they are "playing out the game plan" or higgledy-piggeldy reacting to events, and the game plan will just have to adapt.

geo said:

that's exactly how you get twice the fsaa samples when you get twice the VSA/100s (hehe I'm still a 3dfx fanb0y, here in 2005 :devilish: )

A second card for adding 2x supersampling, maybe that would be overkill for playing Unreal 3, but with that SLI/AMR would be no longer useless in "old" games (or in half-life 2 for that matter :eek: )

Back