R520 launch delayed?

nAo said:
DaveBaumann said:
Personally, so far, I would liken R420->R520 as the change from TNT->GeForce 256 or GF256->GF4 or GF4->GFFX
Let me hope it's better than that :D

Leaving ATI aside and all, GFFX almost doubled the GF4, speed-wise. So I wouldn't see that as smt. bad.

Yes I know that it should be different Dave .. since SM3.0 is different to SM2.+ .. but how much different? It can't be that much can it?

I mean with a respin already .. they should've sorted out the driver problems ages ago(talking single card here and not AMR).

Orton said that they were waiting for more numbers of the card before the release to the general public .. and that was almost 2-3 months ago. They should have a good stock pile atm .. and so should release the card imo.

US

Mordenkainen said:
phenix said:
It is not denied neither by ATI nor by Mr. Dave Baumann. :)

ATi doesn't comment on rumours. Dave is not an ATi spokesperson (and even if he was, the first premise still stands).

I know that. :) I wanted to stir up Dave a bit hoping that he spills off some information in excitement. Not that I believe he would break any NDA for this but here is to hope.

Kaotik said:
AFAIK R500 isn't ATi's "problem" anymore, haven't been for quite a while, it's MS's now (meaning ATi just did the R&D, MS makes the chips (or rather, MS gets the chips done by TMSC))
NEC actually, not TSMC.

Xmas said:
Kaotik said:
AFAIK R500 isn't ATi's "problem" anymore, haven't been for quite a while, it's MS's now (meaning ATi just did the R&D, MS makes the chips (or rather, MS gets the chips done by TMSC))
NEC actually, not TSMC.
Correct and incorrect.

Delays or not,

we can make a safe bet that Crytex has "one" as if you notice the Change Log on the new Farcry64 bit patch:

Patch 1.32 change log

• Fixed a Shader Model 3.0 issue that caused graphics corruption on new ATI hardware

jb said:
Delays or not,

we can make a safe bet that Crytex has "one" as if you notice the Change Log on the new Farcry64 bit patch:

Patch 1.32 change log

• Fixed a Shader Model 3.0 issue that caused graphics corruption on new ATI hardware

Was wondering how long before someone posted that :)

Jawed

Jawed said:
Was wondering how long before someone posted that :)

Sometimes its hard to keep up with these forums as there can be a lot of info found here. And since you folks are pretty sharp I am sure others noticed it...but...since I did not see it anywhere else here yet..figured why not :)

lopri said:
Another example of ATI's incompetence and their shitty viewpoint of the customers. I know this line will draw some attention from some people here but please keep in mind that my entire post will be based on the assumption that the l'inq article contains some truth.

I didn't see one word in the Inq piece as to "ATi's incompetence and their shitty viewpoint of the customer," so I hardly see how your disclaimer is believable...;) Heh...;) Seems to be your opinion and not the Inq's, right?

But please refrain from personal attack on my observation.

Fair enough, if you'll refrain from unsupported attacks on IHV's...;) (Such attacks as I have been known to make on them are generally very well supported. Heh..;) I often get criticized merely for remembering too much history...;))

First, if R520 is ready and good to go, why delay the launch?

What proof is there that anything is delayed?

Do they know how much hype they self-generated about that piece of silicon? I'm sure many (including myself) have been eagerly waiting for the SM3.0 part from ATI. And, honestly, how many of you are more excited about AMR (which ATI downplayed from the beginning) than R520 itself?

SM3.0 in and of itself would not inspire me to buy R520, just as it did not inspire me to buy nV40.

Considering that AMD core logic market is dominated by nForce, and that Intel just signed on cross-license agreement with nVidia, I really don't think there is much to be gained by ATI from AMR except, ahem, benchmark scores. Nice benchmark scores, probably, will bring them to nice OEM deals accordingly, but where does it leave their retail customers?

Well, I'm a retail ATi customer (x800) and also a retail nVidia customer (nf3) and I'm feeling just dandy...;)

Another interesting tidbit from the article is that R520 (maybe) is slower than 6800U SLI. ("maybe" inserted by me) For me, that is OK. For ATI, obviously not. (Again, the benchmarks) I'd rather have a sleek/simple solution than a bulky/buggy mess.

Heh...;) If 6800U SLI isn't a "bulky/bloody mess" I cannot imagine what would be...;)

Couple this article with the following,

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23098

I could only conclude: (lots of silly stuff deleted)

That's what you get for thinking about speculation as if it has the weight of fact, imo.

Back