I want to DDoS my network, need help

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
We both use Windows XP Home, my brother rarely ever updates his OS.

He downloads too much crap like movies and music, it eats up too much bandwidth and I'm sick of it.
Personally I really want to report him to the RIAA, even if it means my mum will get into trouble.

However I believe a better idea is for me to DDoS my network to stop his illegal activity and annoying bandwidth leaching.

My brother is an idiot, he knows barely anything other than how to use Word and download movies and MP3s.

Can anyone give me information on how I should go around and DDoS my network?

He's computer is the server, I connect to it to use the internet on our broadband connection.

Thanks.

kind of hard to do a DDoS attack from inside your own network, especially since it seems you are using one computer to do it (defeats the purpose of the first D in the acronym)...if your brother is an idiot, program/install an app that deletes his download programs and edit his registry to have it run everytime his windows starts and claim that he got a virus from all his downloads

Its quite hard to flood a lan connection.
Can't really do it with one PC as you are gonna be maxing your network output before it kills the input to the other PC.

Even if you do manage it, with the other PC having the internet connection on a different port, the other PC will still have no problems with the internet.

We did this on our test lab at tech some years ago & the PC being flooded by the rest of the lab still had only about 20% processor usage (& it was a pissy 600mhz or less) when the lan card gave up & went to 0 throughput.

Couldn't I flood the Internet port, by uploading to a fake address?

If not, couldn't I open up all of his ports and start flooding simultaneously?

The easiest way is to install some remote control tool with which you can do things with his machine. Something of the likes of BackOrifice or NetBot. That way, you'd be in total control of his machine. You'd just need some time when he's gone to install and configure all that shit so that he doesn't notice anything.

Much better to just talk to him & explain that he's being an ass & that its affecting your internet experience.
Show him how to update his OS & other relevant software, also make sure he at least rate limits his downloads.
Cooperation > fighting

What about getting a router that has Quality Of Service capabilities in it? That way you can put his mass traffic to a lower priority and set browsing speeds to a higher priority. This is what the VOIP routers do; they put it at highest priority and cap the rest of the traffic so VOIP has enough bandwidth to be real-time. This wont affect other traffic service levels unless there is higher priority traffic. The new Sveasoft firmware for the Linksys WRT54G(S) series has this capability.

There are programs that can limit the available bandwidth on computers as well. Actually all you have to do is lower the MTU level.

Might be an excellent opportunity to find out what an electromagnet hooked upto AC does in close proximity to a network cable.

I have no idea what it'll do, but it should make a fun experiment. And hopefully introduce a high enough error rate as to render his connection inoperable.

K.I.L.E.R said:
He's computer is the server, I connect to it to use the internet on our broadband connection.
I'm not clear of the whole picture here - but DoS that machine and you mess up your own internet connection.

passby said:
K.I.L.E.R said:
I'm not clear of the whole picture here - but DoS that machine and you mess up your own internet connection.

If I can't use the internet to begin with then why should he? ;)

We have a 12GB limit.

I do not know the full network topology of your setup. Plus things are complicated by the implication that his machine is the gateway - makes a lot of things ineffective. So you share the same public IP? Is there actually an internal private network? How are your machines connected? Who hands out the IP addresses? How is his machine routing your requests to the public? etc etc

passby said:
I do not know the full network topology of your setup. Plus things are complicated by the implication that his machine is the gateway - makes a lot of things ineffective. So you share the same public IP? Is there actually an internal private network? How are your machines connected? Who hands out the IP addresses? How is his machine routing your requests to the public? etc etc

Brother's PC.

I'm connected to a switch, and so is he, but he is also connected to the cable modem.
We share same public IP.
There is a private network.
DHCP hands down IPs on his and mine.

Whether this works or not depends on whether the gateway is configured stupidly enough. But no harm experimenting.

Manually set your IP to the same as the other machine. If it works, both machines will be messed up.

If the other box wasn't the gateway I'm confident this will work. But it being the gateway itself confuses matters.

If it does not work...

DoS the ports where the P2P applications he runs listens to. It won't bring down the box or his internet connection - you don't need to. But if you're lucky those P2P apps are so overwhelmed by dummy traffic that they cannot work properly. Of course this again depends on the nature of those apps.

Darn I feel evil. :devilish:

I highly recommend a router like the D-Link DGL-4100 or 4300. Get that, and then you can give your IP priority over all packets from his IP.

Or...

Just get a normal router (like a Linksys BEFSR41) and put Netlimiter on his PC so that he is limited to how much he can UL/DL.

Routers are just embedded Linux boxes, a lot of them (Linksys and Asus for the cheap ones) even have the source published. So you could even build yourself a custom kernel that does exactly what you want. (And some enthousiasts do exactly that, so there are examples and a community to ask questions.)

But even so, if you use a router and are the only one that knows the password, you can simply turn the connection to his computer off when you feel like it, by enabling MAC filtering.

Back