IGN: Nintendo a Niche Player? Sony Stabs MS in Article!

_phil_ said:
Another parameter is fab control.This gives high reactivity and cell should live it's own life outside gaming ,so they probably can afford to start more agressively.
As far as non CPU chips in the Xbox 360 is concerned MS would be free to have other fabs produce them. UMC is said to be 25% less expensive than TSMC.

Ms can even more the cpu . They pay ibm a liscensing fee and are paying for fabbing i believe . Its just that at the time ibm may have the most advanced process avalible (i heard mabye 80nm which i belive is just an optical shrink). I believe at any point down the line they can move to cheaper fabs . If for example in 3 years tmsc has 45nm and its cheaper than ibms 45nm they can produce the cpus there

PiNkY said:
We look at delivering a quantum leap in technology

Considering a "quantum leap" is kind of the smallest state change possible... :LOL:

A smart man. Pinky, they really do need to hire you at Sony PR, because quite frankly they're showing their incompetence with press releases like this. "Quantum leap" in that release is like marketing within marketing. Ouch, my brain just left.

jvd said:
I just don't see a huge leap in the 6-8 months they would have between x360 and ps3 launch to see a huge leap . Yes the cpu will be faster most likely (though we don't know how much yet ) and the gpu will most likely be faster (though we don't know how much )

But i doubt it will amount into any significant diffrences in visual quality . There just isn't the time diffrence for this to happen

i disagree with this assumption entirely. look at the visual quality difference between the r300 and nv30.

jvd said:
Remember the standard xenon will be 300$ there will be a 400$ 40 gig version. I think they will make a ton of money with that version . Mabye they will take a loss on both . But i highly doubt they will loose much on the 400$ version. So they are already keeping intial per -unit costs down.

Agreed, but that just helps might point. The original Xbox and PS2 were both thought to cost ~$500 or more when they were launched.

They're using these for other products too, though, so..
Sure . But will all the products make enough money (aren't the fabs close to 400million + or so ) to keep the fabs going and pay to move them from 90nm - 65nm -45nm ? There are other factors to take into account .

We also know places like tmsc and the other place operate on razor thin margins . So in the end it might not be a huge diffrence that some want us to believe .

Perhaps. But I still think volumes will work for sony in ways they won't work for MS..

except as we speak bluray may no longer exist . That is the thing . If sony puts out bluray in the ps3 and then they join a modified hd-dvd format they could likely screw themselves in regards to the ps3.

It's no LOSS as such, though, you're still gaining something. It's still a higher capacity format for games over the competition. But yes, it doesn't have the potential potency of a movie-playing standard.

No i'm sure they wont . But that doesn't mean the end result will be 100% compatibilty with either of the two old versions .

Sony may be aware of the ps3 and will try to get things as much in thier favor. But this is a negotiation . So the other sides will be trying to get things thier way .

True, but I think all will be mindful of PS3 - they know how it could help any new standard get established more quickly.

Mulciber said:
i disagree with this assumption entirely. look at the visual quality difference between the r300 and nv30.

Or the 6800 Ultra or X850...? Hmmm ;)

A 6 month difference can be a little or (relatively) a lot depending. (I don't mean to say than the X850 provided a big gap in some months, by the way - I meant it to illustrate the point that the X850 barely outperformed a NVidia chip coming out 6 months before it, so who knows about a chip they're targetting to arrive ~6months before NVidia's next. See, we can all find such points in history ;)).

My overarching point is that you can expect Sony to make a big deal out of whatever differences, big or small, and that will help them I think.

Titanio said:
It's no LOSS as such, though, you're still gaining something.
At a cost, in a system that is likely to already initially sell at a loss.
Titanio said:
It's still a higher capacity format for games over the competition.
Is that extra capacity going to make a significant difference this generation? Hard call to make IMO.

pakotlar said:
A smart man. Pinky, they really do need to hire you at Sony PR, because quite frankly they're showing their incompetence with press releases like this. "Quantum leap" in that release is like marketing within marketing. Ouch, my brain just left.
It's just a sporadic comment by a spokesperson rather than a press release.

Well, it sure sounds "strange" that a system designed to start the HD-era uses a storage medium not designed for that at all. What if Hollywood goes HD-DVD/BR crazy and you simply can't watch HD videos on the HD era system? Yeah, games are more important, but still...

Fodder said:
Depends if they choose to fill the game with bland FMV or entertaining gameplay. :?

But wont hi-def textures alone require more space? and what about sound. MGS2/3 already use a DVD9 format and there are zero FMV in it. I doubt a next gen MGS would fit just one DVD9.

TTP said:
What if Hollywood goes HD-DVD/BR crazy and you simply can't watch HD videos on the HD era system?
As I said earlier, what if Hollywood goes crazy over a unified HD format which isn't ready in time for PS3 so Sony ship with a BR drive? That point becomes moot. It could be that the BR drive is a huge selling point for PS3, but it could also be that it makes SFA difference.

Fodder said:
As I said earlier, what if Hollywood goes crazy over a unified HD format which isn't ready in time for PS3 so Sony ship with a BR drive?

Let's remember what we were originally talking about - product-orientation. Technically, bluray even with hd movies is a better product than DVD, and will bring benefits for games. It's inclusion in PS3 would be a fair point toward the argument of Sony's greater product-orientation with PS3 than MS's with X360. Of course, waiting for the unified format would reveal even greater product-orientation on their part, but I suppose there are limits ;)

I don't think it's a given a unified format would result in a delay, btw.

Titanio said:
Technically, bluray even with hd movies is a better product than DVD
And will also cost more. The million dollar question is, will it be worth it? ;)

Fodder said:
Titanio said:
Technically, bluray even with hd movies is a better product than DVD
And will also cost more. The million dollar question is, will it be worth it? ;)

As long as PS3 is under $300, for the consumer, it can't hurt ;) And that's just again the product-versus-other-factors tradeoff..

As long as PS3 is under $300, for the consumer, it can't hurt And that's just again the product-versus-other-factors tradeoff..

IT could hurt alot actually .

If bluray can play the new combined standard it wouldn't hurt as much . But if ms starts selling on par with sony or even lead it can really hurt sony as they will be forced to take losses to stay in the race with ms as ms continues to drop the price and while ms can afford to loose money on the scale sony can't. They too need the ps3 to be profitable or i highly doubt there will be a sony

pahcman said:
i saw this, read right part, what you think?
earlypsx1.jpg

Heh that's pretty neat.

Fodder said:
TTP said:
What if Hollywood goes HD-DVD/BR crazy and you simply can't watch HD videos on the HD era system?
As I said earlier, what if Hollywood goes crazy over a unified HD format which isn't ready in time for PS3 so Sony ship with a BR drive? That point becomes moot. It could be that the BR drive is a huge selling point for PS3, but it could also be that it makes SFA difference.

I'm pretty sure Sony will do whatever it takes to ship the system with the standard the industry eventually decide to go crazy about. I dont think it's gonna take ages to decide? Actually, I have the impression that the end of march japanese PS3 event didn't take place for this very reason.

Anyway, even if they go BR and the movie industry goes elsewere the Xbox 360 DVD is still "not so HD".

Back