3.06GHz review at HardOCP

Evnas

Newcomer
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Mzg4

All i can say is "WOW!". With this technology becoming the "norm" for Intel processors, im sure just about everything, including future games, will support it. Main reason most dont is cuz how many average users have 2 CPUs, heh. But with HT becoming a norm, in 5 years, EVERYBODY will have HT (unless of course u go with AMD, hehe), so im willing to bet just about every game, and application will start taking advantage of this asap. Honestly, i dont think AMD will be able to compete without getting a license for the tech themselves, or coming up with their own "version", because as HT matures, it will only get better, and better. And, unlike many ppl were believing, the 3.06 overclocks like a DREAM! They were able to get a stable 3.6GHz on air cooling, and nearly 4GHz on water cooling!

Intel isnt the only one with multithreading patents, but that probably doesnt matter anyway given AMD's broad cross-licensing with Intel.

HT is nice, but it wont scale beyond a couple of threads in its present form ... dont expect it to get an awfully lot better than it is now unless they create new instructions for finegrained multithreading, even if they do Intel will go CMP pretty soon (because to keep clockspeeds high even with multithreading you can only make the core so big before it just stops making sense).

BTW it isnt so much Intel's architecture which gives them an advantage, you can put 2 Athlon cores in the same space as one P4 ...

MfA said:
BTW it isnt so much Intel's architecture which gives them an advantage, you can put 2 Athlon cores in the same space as one P4 ...

why isnt this done then?
would this double performance?

Because AMD does not have Intel's process technology.

Does having an army of engineers custom building every last thing for the highest performace come under Intel process technology as well?

I think the Athlon's main problem is it's too wide. It'd be nice if they save a few transistors here and there, lowered the latencies on their L2 and beefed up the BP.

No, since on parity processes that wasnt even enough for them to be able to beat a processor half their size I would guess that would not fall under it.

Back