¿Playstation3 Memory card could be...

Urian

Regular
...this?

sony_himd_crop.jpg

it's a little big for that IMO... not to mention far too slow compared to a flash medium.

oh, with "big", I of course ment the physical size of the disk. Also, I would think it's a little more costly to implement another optical drive rather than a simple magic gate interface........

i always thought sony made a mistake when they didn't make UMD backwards compatable with minidisk. the PSP would have been a great MD replacement for those of us who still have/use them, and if the (mostly unfounded) rumors that PS3 will have a UMD port in it, it would be pretty slick to transfer saved games, pictures, and music between the two systems. but i guess the usb port on the PSP could be used for the same thing.

I'll eat my hat is it's not Memory Stick. Memory stick ties it in nicely with the Sony Home, being a portable medium between cameras, TVs, PSP, and other goodies. Absolutely daft not to go with MemStick.

Here's another vote for memory stick. It just has to many other positive tie ins to other Sony electronics for them NOT to use it.

I would love to see MemorySticks, but why haven't they gone that route already with PS2 (they very well could have, if they wanted to).

IMO, I think there are a few reasons why they won't (even though it sucks):

- they can charge more on a PS3-only medium - which is pretty much manditory to play games and can help them cut losses more quickly on expensive hardware

- because memorysticks aren't just manufactured by Sony, how would they guarantee that PS3 users get the Sony in-house ones and not those of competing manufacturers (SanDisk?).

- memorysticks would be undoubtly priced more competitive since their market reaches beyond the console one. This would equal less profts.

mckmas8808 said:
Yep, another vote for MS here. Why not Sony can make more money and we don't have to buy to different formats for our PSPs and PS3.

Sony would make less money using a standard MS than if they went with a propriety memory card.

MS or MS Duo?

Regular or Pro?

I think the MS was too expensive back in 1999-2000.

Now, for the price of the 8 MB PS2 Memory Card, you can get at least 32 MB even on MS or MS Duo.

But is that enough capacity? Probably for game saves but some games like SOCOM has actually written patches to the memory card.

Actually, lets hope they have a high-capacity option of some kind, like HDD.

I would say memory stick duo , they are going to want to make synergy between the psp and the ps3

jvd said:
I would say memory stick duo , they are going to want to make synergy between the psp and the ps3

Right, and that's what I meant myself above. It's too hard for me to keep track of all the memory stick sub-formats, but I'm with jvd and others when they say it works well with the PSP, among other things.

People say they would lose out on money by not going with a proprietary format; well, maybe some, but remember that there are third party memory card manufacturers now as it is, and Sony gets some IP revenue each time a memory stick is sold, regardless of who makes it.

I just think it would tie in well and make one more likely to buy a memory-stick enabled cell phone, digital camera, or other device if they already have some memory sticks to go along with their PS3 and/or PSP, and this must be something that on some level Sony is hoping for.

xbdestroya said:
jvd said:

Right, and that's what I meant myself above. It's too hard for me to keep track of all the memory stick sub-formats, but I'm with jvd and others when they say it works well with the PSP, among other things.

People say they would lose out on money by not going with a proprietary format; well, maybe some, but remember that there are third party memory card manufacturers now as it is, and Sony gets some IP revenue each time a memory stick is sold, regardless of who makes it.

I just think it would tie in well and make one more likely to buy a memory-stick enabled cell phone, digital camera, or other device if they already have some memory sticks to go along with their PS3 and/or PSP, and this must be something that on some level Sony is hoping for.

If they support PS2 games, what do you think they will do about supporting PS2 memory cards?

a688 said:
xbdestroya said:
jvd said:

If they support PS2 games, what do you think they will do about supporting PS2 memory cards?

I think they'll have to include a PSOne/Two style memory slot somewhere. But that doesn't mean I still don't think a Duo memory card approach would be better.

Or how about this - the memory card slots are the same size as PSOne or Two, but the PS3 comes with a memory card adaptor for the memory card format.

It's true, I don't see a console with two different memory slots as being all that aesthetically desirable, but I have to go again with my logic above for the reasns I feel Sony should go with the memory stick.

because memorysticks aren't just manufactured by Sony, how would they guarantee that PS3 users get the Sony in-house ones and not those of competing manufacturers (SanDisk?).

though not all MS are manufactured by Sony, indeed every MS out there is licenced by them. ‘Memory Stick’ is a property owned by Sony.

With MS duo supported in PSP and Sony Ericsson handsets (edit: mobile phones) it seems weired not to support MS in PS3. As for save game slots one could, and probably will, just use a directory on the memstick for game save.

It would make sense .

People who have a sony digital camera , psp and a ps3 will more likely buy a 1 gig stick or more smaller sticks than if they just had a camera and a psp .

Back