ADSL problem

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Hey guys

Here's the little thing.

I've had problems with my ADSL for ages now, in the form of getting disconnected every 2 or 3 hours or so...

There are 2 PCs in the house, my desktop and my flatmate's laptop.

One thing i've noticed is that when he's away, i pretty much never get disconnected. When his laptop is here, even when OFF, we get disconnected...

What's the deal?!

The problem always seemed to be the line (which is being fixed apparently) but this thing really bugs me, why would i get disconnected when his laptop is here and not when it's not?

Last time he went away, i never got disconnected in 48 or so hours, now he's gone to Amsterdam and i've been connected for 13 hours straight.

The line never stays up for more than 2-3 hours usually when he's here...

*confused*

are you connecting just through a modem? It could be on the lease/ip_add, renew it fubars. The modem sees two MAC address and disconects one untill you repair it. The Laptop might be on some wake on lan thangy that alows it to still have a hot connection...... Does the laptop have a docking station?

karlotta said:
are you connecting just through a modem? It could be on the lease/ip_add, renew it fubars. The modem sees two MAC address and disconects one untill you repair it. The Laptop might be on some wake on lan thangy that alows it to still have a hot connection...... Does the laptop have a docking station?

Having understood about 3.8% of that post, i'll try to make the scenario easier to understand:

I have a Netgear modem/router. both PCs connect to that one.

When the laptop isn't here, things seem to be working fine, when it's here, we get disconnected.

We've had a prob with the line (both phone and internet go down, very odd, but that's being fixed) but i'm not sure why it just does it more (and seen how things goes i'd say it ONLY does it) when the laptop is here.

what is the model of the netgear ? how do you connect the netgear and the peecees ? what does the laptop use ?

does the laptop's powersupply lie near the phone line ?

if appliable, does the ethernet cable connected to the laptop and the netgear run alongside the phone line ?

london-boy said:
karlotta said:

Having understood about 3.8% of that post, i'll try to make the scenario easier to understand:

I have a Netgear modem/router. both PCs connect to that one.

When the laptop isn't here, things seem to be working fine, when it's here, we get disconnected.

We've had a prob with the line (both phone and internet go down, very odd, but that's being fixed) but i'm not sure why it just does it more (and seen how things goes i'd say it ONLY does it) when the laptop is here.

Two things...

1) Are you using the latest firmware for your netgear router? I had a netgear router that would disconnect for no good reason entirely due to several versions of firmware. It was eventually fixed with a firmware update. I use Linksys router now, but that one needed updates as well.

2) Do you have a DSL filter installed at any jacks where you use the phone? When I had DSL, I had a seperate line which it resided on, but most DSL these days runs on the primary line I believe. You normally need to have a filter plugged into the wall jacks with sockets for either DSL or phone connectors.

Right.

Sorry if it took me a while.

Basically, here's the situation,

There are 4 phone plugs in my house. One of them doesn't work. it's not silent, it kinda gives a noise when attached to a phone (mmm...)

All plugs have have a microfilter, the modem/router is attached to the master socket, and the remaining 2 plugs have one phone each attached to them.

I was thinking that the plug that doesn't work is affecting the line, and that's why i get disconnected.

Also, it's just weird that when the laptop turns on, the connection drops. Even using static IPs doesn't solve the prob.

I've used 2 modems already and the problem is still there.

Thanks for any help.

it could be the laptop making some interference, either at the powersupply level, either at the battery level.

problems like this happen, especially with powersupplies.

karlotta said:
well do you ever have the laptop and the PC onilne at the same time, or is it one or the other?

well they're mostly online at the same time, but sometimes it's just one of them, depends on who's in the house.

It's a longshot, but it is not rare to find the unwitting laptop user has enabled a DHCP service in Windows (different than just having dynamic IP addressing enabled). Essentially, they become a "rogue server" when they enter a network (either by wifi or ethernet cable) that hands out bogus IP addresses (whereby typically your wifi access point/router/thingamabob should be the one handing out IP addresses). I'm not exactly up on where to look to see if such a service is enabled or not, but just thought I'd mention it for food for thought.

That said, have you done the typical network troubleshooting steps? Can you ping the router, ping the laptop? Can he ping you, ping the router?

randycat99 said:
It's a longshot, but it is not rare to find the unwitting laptop user has enabled a DHCP service in Windows (different than just having dynamic IP addressing enabled). Essentially, they become a "rogue server" when they enter a network (either by wifi or ethernet cable) that hands out bogus IP addresses (whereby typically your wifi access point/router/thingamabob should be the one handing out IP addresses). I'm not exactly up on where to look to see if such a service is enabled or not, but just thought I'd mention it for food for thought.

That said, have you done the typical network troubleshooting steps? Can you ping the router, ping the laptop? Can he ping you, ping the router?

Nope, haven't done that... what info would that give me?
Both computers have static IP addresses.

But i'm figuring out what the problem is. Hint: the electrics in my house is fooked. Like, when i turn on or off some lights, i get disconnected. Sometimes.

All very Poltergheist...

Back