STM pulls the plug on Kyro

Eeeh, NEC anyone? I believe the relationship with NEC was not stopped when IMG TEC started to work with STM..

I haven't read all the post, so maybe this was already entered...

My favourite is VIA still, but who knows whom STM are negociating with...a few more rumours would be great.

Next week at 3GSM we'll see more of the next gen PowerVR MBX so it isn't all doom and gloom for all you PowerVR fans out there.

Next week at 3GSM we'll see more of the next gen PowerVR MBX so it isn't all doom and gloom for all you PowerVR fans out there.

3D games on broadband 3G phones and Pocket PCs? Hmmm..interesting. When can I play Pocket PC Phantasy Star Online?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PC-Engine on 2002-02-15 12:24 ]</font>

David Harold finally managed to find some time to answer a few questions I sent to him last week. You can find a short interview here.

Why is nobody talking about SiS in this matter? They are trying hard to get into the graphics market, but until now their solutions have been too slow - both in performance and in launch time.

I find SiS, VIA or Intel the most likely buyers atm.

Evil Sam (SiS 315) is actually a pretty decent card - matching or beating Radeon VE in many tests.

I would love to see SiS give PowerVR technology a try. At least we know that they'd make independant graphics cards...

VIA would probably just integrate it all, like they're doing with S3 technology right now. Which would suck because I, for one, do not want to use a VIA chipset, even if it would be the only way to stick with PowerVR technology. :

I still feel, as nicely said, "limbo-ed" after that interview. Nothing the most of us didn't know already and surely nothing to bring up my hopes again regarding a reasonable release date of the Kyro3 or whatever name it will bear.
Unreal 2 is still my, and as I think not only my, personal deadline.
Please let me have my next generation Kyro until then.:smile: If not, ATI here I come.:cry:

A couple of quotes from ParaKnowYa's interview with Dave Harold:

Q, So how do ImgTech intend to progress in the PC market, since a lot of PowerVR fans perceived STM to be slow and not aggressive enough.
We're happy that ST's potential buyers will be aggressive in this market, if the deal comes off.

Q, ImgTech need to tackle the high end, as it is this side of the scale which generates interest, once this is achieved sales at the lower end will come through, your previous approach with any new partner must not be repeated. (wait a minuet, is that a question?, who sent that in?).
No that's not a question. If we'd released a high end product first with ST then sales would have been in the thousands, not the millions. That doesn't mean we don't have plans for parts at a range of performance levels for the future.

Hints that a deal may be imminent with a major player (SGI... SGI... :smile:), and (perhaps) that IMG has plans for a high end card.

Tagrineth:
one while the sis 315 on paper doesn't look so bad...there are some serious driver issues...
it doesn't filter correct...textures aren't very sharp-this could be some lod setting. AA doesn't work...TnL performs poorly.
As for 2d/gdi+ and dvd they are great...they're 3d core is quite maligned though.
I'd shoot for via possibly but then it might only end up a integrated solution.
We need another player...unless Bitboys...hahah ( sarcasm ) release one day. I hope they do.
PowerVR and BB...one can dream?!

VIA would probably just integrate it all, like they're doing with S3 technology right now.

Apparently not:

"VIA Technologies announced on January 30 the kick-off of its “Canaan Projectâ€￾ to deepen the diversification of its operations. According to the project, VIA will restructure its business into five units – chipsets (which should include integrated graphics), processors, graphics chips, optical drives and networking equipment. Its VIA Platform Solutions Division (VPSD) will remain under the chipsets division. Company CEO and president Chen Wen-chi said that VIA will try to position itself as a “platformâ€￾ provider, instead of just being a core logic chipset designer."

Looks to me like VIA don't just want to make ingegrated graphics.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Teasy on 2002-02-23 16:34 ]</font>

The great thing about SIS is that recently they've been putting out some excellent hardware. The drivers would be taken care of by PowerVR, so that shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Also note that SiS have their OWN fab. So they can potentially optimize the circuit more.

problem is that tsmc and umc hates SiS.

also the process may not be compatible and a re layout would cost a lot of time.

problem is that tsmc and umc hates SiS.

Also VIA have a very good relationship with TSMC, they've already had access to TSMC's 0.13 micron (but I hear 0.13 is still not right yet) and Kyro III is supposed to use 0.13 micron. Although 0.13 is probably more a cost measure rather then actually needing 0.13 micron to hit 250mhz so if a company comes in and is not as bothered about cost as STM were they could put Kyro III on 0.15 micron, which has been readily available for a while, and end up getting Kyro III out before STM would have.

Looks like "a new graphics card" will be out at CeBIT in 2 weeks or so....

VideoLogic will be at CeBIT 2002 from 13 - 20 March (Hall 20, Stand D06). On display at the show will be VideoLogic's full range of PC and home entertainment products. For consumer entertainment VideoLogic will be showing the award winning DRX range of DAB radio tuners, new portable DAB technology and the advanced LiFE 4/10 home entertainment audio system. PC products at the show include the new ZXR-500 5.1 speaker system - winner of awards from PCW (UK) and PC Games Hardware (Germany); a new graphics card; and VideoLogic's full range of sound card and speaker products.
:rollseyes:

Back