What is the logic behind what gets locked on this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl B

Friends call me xbd
Legend
EDIT: Removed original post out of respect in light of jvd's answer below. You guys can go ahead and lock this now if you like. ;)

-xbd

i did and i'm much hapier now, playing with my elephants and flying grandpas.... whiiiiiii

I think it's simply that the mods are trying valiantly to reduce the amount of trolling posts; a tough, thankless job given the nature of this forum.

After a short while though, you'll see who tends to get the topic locked or who has their posts edited. Pretty funny stuff. :)

We try out best to weed out everything . I have not read through all the posts yet from my time sleeping so other things may get locked . Sometimes we don't responed because we don't have time

jvd said:
We try out best to weed out everything . I have not read through all the posts yet from my time sleeping so other things may get locked . Sometimes we don't responed because we don't have time

Yeah I know it's hard to monitor all this, believe me. And I don't hold it against you or any of the other mods jvd. It's just that the C++ thread surviving as long as it did just rubbed me the wrong way. But I see you've moved it now, so thank you. ;)

EDIT: Maybe I would have just been better off with the blue pill!

digitalwanderer said:
Dr Evil said:
I would like to hear a reason why the Halo 2 compared to Half-Life 2 thread was locked?
Because it was flamebait. :)

Was it?, because Half-Life 2 is also coming to Xbox, so it wasn't like PC vs Xbox. I just didn't want to start new thread about Half-LIfe because I found that one. Well I quess I should have started new thread.

I'd be quite interested to know the policy on baning members... or do we have to wait til the gaming forum is shut down because of 1 member for one of the mods or whoevers responsible to get active? :rolleyes:

I've seen one or two threads here get locked because the discussion turned critical of one company or another, and the mod happened to be a fan of the company being criticized.

I don't think that's right.

This is a discussion forum - and oftentimes discussions involve criticism and debate. There's nothing wrong with criticism if it's warranted and put forth in a constructive way.

My $0.02 USD.

Do y'all remember the last time the console forum started acting up and Beyond3D just closed it down rather than deal with it?

If not, I suggest you research it just a touch. The console forum is on thin ice here to stay open, if you want to keep it open I really truly suggest you try not to make a fuss.

Not a threat as I ain't a mod or nothing here, just an observation. If the console forum gets to be too much of a pain in the ass they will just shut it down for a while.

I've found this forum nicely moderated (he said sucking up :p ). Honestly I'd rather have a little too much modding than too little. There's been plenty of flame-esque 'debate' nipped in the bud, and topics are fairly well pruned to keep only sensible debate, mostly hardware related. If you want total freedom of speech to spout your point of view, there's plenty of other forums, but from my experience there all people spouting followed by people criticising each others spouts and leading onto slag-fests.

There's been post I've made here that have been discussed, whereas say on the computerandvideogames forum the plebs just go off on insane fanboy comments. Can't get any sense out of any of 'em.

No, this forum works pretty fine for me how it is. If you want to say 'game X is better than game Y' I don't think here's the place to do it. This place is more objective than subjective in its ideals, I feel.

digitalwanderer said:
Do y'all remember the last time the console forum started acting up and Beyond3D just closed it down rather than deal with it?

If not, I suggest you research it just a touch. The console forum is on thin ice here to stay open, if you want to keep it open I really truly suggest you try not to make a fuss.

So basically what you're saying is that disagreeing is making a fuss which should be avoided, or else you'll be shut down. Isn't this a brave new world, maybe I should move to Russia, I heard they like freedom of speech over there.

Shifty Geezer said:
No, this forum works pretty fine for me how it is. If you want to say 'game X is better than game Y' I don't think here's the place to do it. This place is more objective than subjective in its ideals, I feel.

Unless you say that Nintendo game is better than PS2 or Xbox game, or if you say that Ati is better than nVidia. (ok just shoot me)

Dr Evil said:
So basically what you're saying is that disagreeing is making a fuss which should be avoided, or else you'll be shut down. Isn't this a brave new world, maybe I should move to Russia, I heard they like freedom of speech over there.
There is a very fine line between "disagreeing" and "being an asshole". I don't know any of the particulars since I generally avoid the console forums, but there ain't no such thing as "freedom of speech" here...this is a privately owned and operated BB that you signed a Useage Agreement Contract with when you signed up agreeing to obey the rules and the mods/admins.

When "disagreeing" crosses that line is when the trouble starts, and me and you don't get to decide where that line is...the mods/admins do.

I can guarantee though if you kick up the old board lawyers argument that "we're entitled to free speech, it's our RIGHT!" you're going to get smacked down hard because that is not the reality of the situation.

digitalwanderer said:
When "disagreeing" crosses that line is when the trouble starts, and me and you don't get to decide where that line is...the mods/admins do.

I can understand that, but if a thread get's locked it would be nice if they would tell the reason for that, I think that's reasonable. Obviously this is subject that should not be discussed so I'll stop now.

Dr Evil said:
I can understand that, but if a thread get's locked it would be nice if they would tell the reason for that, I think that's reasonable. Obviously this is subject that should not be discussed so I'll stop now.
Actually I agree with you that an explaination of locking is a good idea and personally I always do when I lock/delete threads over at my site, and it's perfectly fine for you to post up your thoughts and feelings on this.

Just not in the console forum, start up a new thread in "Site Feedback" and you'll find the staff here are more than happy to discuss how/why they moderate things. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back