Samsung Electronics And Microsoft Announce Revolutionary Hdt

VERY nice!!! At last we'll have decent displays at shops kiosks.

Oh wait i'm in the UK, that means things will stay the same here, with Xbox2 connected to 14" TVs with RCA cables... :devilish:

This is a big kick in the balls to Sony, that's for sure. Here's Microsoft encrouching on their console space, and not only that, while doing so letting you know that Sony's main competitor Samsung is the name you want to associate with HD-TV when you go to buy.

xbdestroya said:
What's the propensity of people in these boards to just link to articles rather than provide some pertinent text?

Anyway this is a big kick in the balls to Sony, that's for sure. Here's Microsoft encrouching on their console space, and not only that, while doing so letting you know that Sony's main competitor Samsung is the name you want to associate with HD-TV when you go to buy.

What you on about?

This deal just means that MS will use Samsung HDTVs for xbox2 stalls around the US. So when you go to your shopping mall and see an Xbox2 kiosk, the thing will run at HD resolutions.

Sony will make another deal to have their Ps3 run on HDTVs in the shops when it gets released. Or probably just use their own LCD HDTVs, the smaller ones.

Same for Nintendo. They'll probably use Panasonic displays, like they usually do.

Good news is that this will drive HDTV adoption through the roof. Very good news.

Well they say "global HDTV".

I will hate see my TV, after see those HDTVs, well I hope to be able to input it to a PC monitor, like REV.

MS were hardly going to partner with Sony for an HD display on XB360 kiosks, were they! If it's just a case of Samsung providing the demo kit, it's no big deal. If on the other hand MS are activiely pushing people to buy Samsung, with 'Samsung - The way it should be seen' or other such naffy slogans every five minutes on Live!, then it might influence matters a little more.

Doubt it'll amount to much though. Do you ever pay attention who provides the TV of a console demo kiosk? You see the visuals and think 'Wow, that looks good!' assuming it'd look as good at home, without thinking, 'Better get myself a <brand> TV so it's as good for me'. Did sales of <brand> TVs go up for whoever provides existing gen kiosk displays?

EDIT : Just read through the press release...
Samsung Electronics and Microsoft enjoy a long-standing relationship as strategic and tactical business partners. Microsoft Xbox currently incorporates Samsung technology, and Samsung will continue to be a tech driver for the next-generation Xbox video game console. Microsoft's first high-definition game will incorporate Samsung-branded products as well as instances of Samsung's logo as part of the overall HD gaming experience. This will mark the first time Microsoft incorporates a consumer electronics technology partner with the Xbox console and games.
Looks like Samsung are gonna be plastered everywhere!

pc999 said:
Well they say "global HDTV".

Y will hate see my TV. after see those HDTVs, well I hope to be able to input to a PC monitor, like REV.

Same here. They will push many people into debt ;)

LOL, what am I on about? This is more than screens in demo areas, I guarantee you that. This is going to be either Samsung coming out with ads along the lines of: "When Microsoft decided to enter the HD-Era, they chose the the superior Samsung range of HD-TVs to display their systems power..."

or a Microsoft ad for Xbox 360 that features the Samsung logo prominently displayed at the end of the commercial and/or on the television the 'gamers' are playing on (if shown at all).

Believe me when I say that Samsung and/or Microsoft will go out of their way to ensure that Samsung gains as much mind-share as possible in the minds of the consumer as it relates to XBox and HD-TV.

Shifty Geezer said:
MS were hardly going to partner with Sony for an HD display on XB360 kiosks, were they! If it's just a case of Samsung providing the demo kit, it's no big deal. If on the other hand MS are activiely pushing people to buy Samsung, with 'Samsung - The way it should be seen' or other such naffy slogans every five minutes on Live!, then it might influence matters a little more.

Doubt it'll amount to much though. Do you ever pay attention who provides the TV of a console demo kiosk? You see the visuals and think 'Wow, that looks good!' assuming it'd look as good at home, without thinking, 'Better get myself a <brand> TV so it's as good for me'. Did sales of <brand> TVs go up for whoever provides existing gen kiosk displays?

Samsung might be the next "The Way It's Meant To Be Seen" company ;)

Samsung ARE the leader in HDTVs apparently, so it's all good. I'm very happy, this will drive prices down, and adoption in Europe will grow too. Can't wait!!

Good news for Sony is that people will see PS3 running on their own HDTVs, so it's all money going back to them!

xbdestroya said:
LOL, what am I on about? This is more than screens in demo areas, I guarantee you that. This is going to be either Samsung coming out with ads along the lines of: "When Microsoft decided to enter the HD-Era, they chose the the superior Samsung range of HD-TVs to display their systems power..."

or a Microsoft ad for Xbox 360 that features the Samsung logo prominently displayed at the end of the commercial and/or on the television the 'gamers' are playing on (if shown at all).

Believe me when I say that Samsung and/or Microsoft will go out of their way to ensure that Samsung gains as much mind-share as possible in the minds of the consumer as it relates to XBox and HD-TV.

Well it could be, but i see that as Microsoft making themselves a lot of enemies. Samsung are big, but there are a lot of other manufacturers out there, and The Rest > Samsung

I think the implied "kick in the balls" was more in reference that Microsoft, Sony's biggest competitor in the console market, is partnering with Sony's biggest rival in the consumer electronic space.

The next-generation Xbox and Samsung HDTV combination is designed to deliver the most advanced and realistic high-definition experience to gamers worldwide. To promote the HD Era, the companies plan to place over 25,000 Samsung high-definition televisions in Microsoft® Xbox retail kiosk locations across the globe.

Impressive number.

london-boy said:
Well it could be, but i see that as Microsoft making themselves a lot of enemies. Samsung are big, but there are a lot of other manufacturers out there, and The Rest > Samsung

I don't see how that would make enemies out of the other companies. If nothing else, in what ways do other consumer electronics companies even interact with Microsoft? They don't, because at the end of the day, the XBox is their only piece of consumer electronics.

Phil said:
I think the implied "kick in the balls" was more in reference that Microsoft, Sony's biggest competitor in the console market, is partnering with Sony's biggest rival in the consumer electronic space.

Yes indeed it was. It's like some sort of nightmare double-team in Sony's mind I'm sure.

xbdestroya said:
london-boy said:

I don't see how that would make enemies out of the other companies. If nothing else, in what ways do ther consumer electronics companies even interact with Microsoft? They don't, because at the end of the day, the XBox is their only piece of consumer electronics.

If they start going around advertising "Samsung is the BEST way to play your Xbox2", I'm sure Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Sharp and all other HDTV makers will be well pissed off, that's what i meant. Especially because it's just not true. A good HDTV is a good HDTV.

So far, the information is that they just bought 25000 Samsung LCD screens to be used in Xbox2 kiosks. All the rest is speculation.

Personally i just don't see a reason in making Samsung a TWIMTBP partnership.

xbdestroya said:
Phil said:

Yes indeed it was. It's like some sort of nightmare double-team in Sony's mind I'm sure.

Why? Really. How is this "deal" something to worry about for Sony? They'll plug their PS3 to their own LCDs, for free i might add, and get on with it. I don't see them biting their nails because MS chose Samsung displays. MS had to choose someone afterall, they weren't going to choose Sony, so in your opinion, Sony would be biting their nails whoever MS made a deal with.

There are much more important things Sony needs to be worried about, than "who MS gets in their kiosks".

london-boy said:
If they start going around advertising "Samsung is the BEST way to play your Xbox2", I'm sure Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Sharp and all other HDTV makers will be well pissed off, that's what i meant. Especially because it's just not true. A good HDTV is a good HDTV.

So far, the information is that they just bought 25000 Samsung LCD screens to be used in Xbox2 kiosks. All the rest is speculation.

Wait, let's assume your right, and the other HD-TV makers get pissed off. What are they going to do about it? Nothing. Why would Microsoft even care about pissing them off? They wouldn't.

You think this deal is just about kiosks; I don't. In the end we'll see. Or rather, I'll see, since I imagine this marketing campaign would be done primarily/exclusvely in the US.

xbdestroya said:
Wait, let's assume your right, and the other HD-TV makers get pissed off. What are they going to do about it? Nothing. Why would Microsoft even care about pissing them off? They wouldn't.

You think this deal is just about kiosks; I don't. In the end we'll see. Or rather, I'll see, since I imagine this marketing campaign would be done primarily/exclusvely in the US.

Fine, i'm talking according to the information that we have received. You're speculating.

There is no reason why MS would suddenly partner with a TV manufacturer. It wouldn't help their Xbox2 campaign in any way. It would only help Samsung, so unless Samsung are paying MS a LOT to couple the Xbox2 name to the Samsung name, i don't see this happening.

The Xbox2 will sell either way, with or without Samsung, it's Samsung that would profit a whole lot from millions of gamers seeing "Samsung and Xbox2 - The way it's meant to be played" on billboards.

Samsung would have to pay MS a lot because at the end of the day, all other manufacturers might want a piece of the action, offering big cash to couple their name to the next big thing in the videogame market.

london-boy said:
Fine, i'm talking according to the information that we have received. You're speculating.

There is no reason why MS would suddenly partner with a TV manufacturer. It wouldn't help their Xbox2 campaign in any way. It would only help Samsung, so unless Samsung are paying MS a LOT to couple the Xbox2 name to the Samsung name, i don't see this happening.

The Xbox2 will sell either way, with or without Samsung, it's Samsung that would profit a whole lot from millions of gamers seeing "Samsung and Xbox2 - The way it's meant to be played" on billboards.

Samsung would have to pay MS a lot because at the end of the day, all other manufacturers might want a piece of the action, offering big cash to couple their name to the next big thing in the videogame market.

Sure, maybe Samsung is paying Microsoft a lot of money - who knows? Or maybe they're providing all the tv's for Microsoft for free - who knows? And in exchange, they get to advertise themselves as THE pick for HD-TV and XBox. Probably, Microsoft got these tv's heavily discounted, and in exchange, Samsung gets to advertise - that's my most likely scenario.

I think the scenario I just painted is extremely likely, and with Sony a mutual enemy, both have to love it.

I am speculating, but reading the document, that's what I derive. Besides, don't we speculate on technology all the time?

Back