Anybody else completely unable to eat when they're anxious?

MuFu

Chief Spastic Baboon
Veteran
Even just the thought of eating, or putting food in my mouth makes me nauseous (although I've only actually been physically sick as a result of it once). It doesn't affect my health since I eat a stupid amount normally - I just can't eat in "pressure" situations; not at job assessment days, social functions, with mates at a restaurant etc (a bunch of guys is cool but throw in a couple of hot girls and I'm totally screwed, hehe). I have to either grin and bear it or make some stupid excuse up. Actually, these days I usually just tell the truth, which a lot of people find a bit weird! I guess a meal with the GF's parents would be a worst-case scenario, although obviously that won't happen for a while since I have never dated and don't look likely to start until this damn thing stops.

What really pisses me off is that this is just the lingering after effects of being seriously unhappy a couple of years ago. I'm not particularly anxious/nervous these days; no more so than anybody else I think. I saw a university counsellor about it but things lost direction when he decided to root out the anxiety. I am no longer plagued by worry; it just seems as if at some point in the past (when things were bad) I was hypnotised into feeling ill at even the slightest onset of nerves/nervous excitement. I just can't shake it off. :?

Anybody else had a similar problem and managed to deal with it?

P.S. This thread has officially been awarded ME! ME! ME!â„¢ status. Somehow I still manage to find it quite funny (in an existentialistic kind of way). :LOL:

I wish I had that problem since I tend to be slightly high-strung (I worry too much). Stress actually causes the opposite reaction in me as I seek comfort foods to help relax and deal with whatever is pressuring me. Mild depression has the same effect, though severe depression (is all this BS really worth it?) does bring my appetite to a halt and if it persists is actually quite good for my waistline.

Not had anyhting like that happen to me but usually if I ever suffer from ansiety (and it does have to be a major life/death kind of reason) then I will lose my appetite for perhaps a few hours or until the anxiety wears off.

I guess you have to learn to actually control the anxiety and stop it altogether rather than thinking of the dreaded eating disorder it bring upon you.

Hot girls should not bring about anxiety mate, but increased pheromones and a bigger ego than usual is just what the doctor ordered.

Hot girls usually give me a bad case of explosive diarrhea! :oops:

Okay I made that up actually. I think there's something terrible wrong with you MuFu. It sounds like your parents didn't beat you enough when you were young, or something. :?

I would suggest drinking beer, which should dull you down just a wee bit. If that doesn't do it, I would suggest wolfing food down just to spite your condition. Don't doctors say the only way to overcome your fears/conditions is to attack it straight on? :devilish:

MasterBaiter said:
Hot girls usually give me a bad case of explosive diarrhea! :oops:

Okay I made that up actually. I think there's something terrible wrong with you MuFu. It sounds like your parents didn't beat you enough when you were young, or something. :?

I would suggest drinking beer, which should dull you down just a wee bit. If that doesn't do it, I would suggest wolfing food down just to spite your condition. Don't doctors say the only way to overcome your fears/conditions is to attack it straight on? :devilish:

:oops: LOL ... [after reading that Mufu gets another anxiety attack and there goes his supper!]

MuFu, try to concentrate on what is happening. Take a bite. How does it feel? Chew. Why do you do it? Do you want to? Chew some more. What, doesn't taste all that well? You want to spit it out? Why?

If that doesn't feel right, just do what you want. Look and smile at the girl. Say that you're not hungry with such nice girls around. Tell her you can't stop thinking of other things than eating. That would be honest, wouldn't it?

Just do it. Sure, you might make a fool of yourself. But how do you know if you don't try and see? She might like it. And if you don't try, it won't change. It might get worse, though.

;)

John, I can understand how it might work the other way too. A lot of girls tend to do that to some extent. Not saying you're girly, of course. :D

MasterBaiter said:

Yeah... not at all in fact. How very irresponsible of them! :LOL:

I would suggest drinking beer, which should dull you down just a wee bit.

That helps, definitely, but I don't want to try and solve this by drinking excessively. I have to be pretty wasted for it to not be an issue.

If that doesn't do it, I would suggest wolfing food down just to spite your condition. Don't doctors say the only way to overcome your fears/conditions is to attack it straight on? :devilish:

I thought that was base jumpers? I have thought of that but the prospect of projectile vomiting on someone has put me off a little. I probably do need to go out and eat more with friends though.

Tahir said:
Not had anyhting like that happen to me but usually if I ever suffer from ansiety (and it does have to be a major life/death kind of reason) then I will lose my appetite for perhaps a few hours or until the anxiety wears off.

I think that's pretty normal, although I could eat through intense anxiety/nervousness when I was younger.

I guess you have to learn to actually control the anxiety and stop it altogether rather than thinking of the dreaded eating disorder it bring upon you.

Yeah, it's become as much about thinking about it as it is about the actual situation. I am quite freaked out that it's gotten to the stage where it comes on so suddenly; it's so automatic and I'm totally taken by suprise sometimes. Years ago I would have been really shocked if someone had said I'd eventually develop this weird-ass complex.

I attended an IBM assessment day yesterday. I applied for their "Extreme Blue" internship this summer and there are now about 40 students left out of thousands that applied; pretty cool. I swear I was one of the most composed people there, but still had to sit and watch a dozen other nervous hopefulls wolf down a big lunch. Really fucking annoying!

DiGuru said:
MuFu, try to concentrate on what is happening. Take a bite. How does it feel? Chew. Why do you do it? Do you want to? Chew some more. What, doesn't taste all that well? You want to spit it out? Why?

If that doesn't feel right, just do what you want. Look and smile at the girl. Say that you're not hungry with such nice girls around. Tell her you can't stop thinking of other things than eating. That would be honest, wouldn't it?

Just do it. Sure, you might make a fool of yourself. But how do you know if you don't try and see? She might like it. And if you don't try, it won't change. It might get worse, though.

;)

Well, it's not girls in particular. I'm fine around them and have plenty of female mates; it's just that if I'm actually interested in someone there's enough nervous excitement (or whatever you want to call it) to trigger this thing, and then suddenly it's awkward.

I've definitely shyed away from going out and eating alot though, after a couple of awkward incidences about 4-5 years ago. Nothing drastic... I was just quite keen to impress at the time and was really frustrated that I couldn't eat and had to excuse myself. All my best friends know about this and they are pretty understanding; it hasn't made it go away though! I was really expecting for it to slowly fade as I gradually sorted my life out but it just seems like the one thing that I'm stuck with. The "concentrate on the moment" idea is a good one; in fact, that's what I normally do when I absolutely *have* to eat something (e.g. gone all morning without eating and starting to feel light-headed).

Thanks for the replies. :)

It is like this: there are things that trigger this reaction. You notice and start to stress. That makes it worse. You're desperately trying to cover it up or make it go away or just being embarrassed. Repeat.

You have to break and change the chain of events. It doesn't really matter how or which, as long as you do something else, no matter what. And try to confront things, not run away.

So, at the moment, something triggers and you are totally sure it's all going to happen again. You even know what and how. You feel totally out of control. You freak out, but try to stay cool and keep up appearances. Which deepens the track a bit more for the next time.

Improvise.

MuFu said:
Well, it's not girls in particular. I'm fine around them and have plenty of female mates; it's just that if I'm actually interested in someone there's enough nervous excitement (or whatever you want to call it) to trigger this thing, and then suddenly it's awkward.

I know that one. Think about this: if the feeling gets really strong, it's because she wants you.

Are you going to be stupid and deflect? Or do you want to as well?

People who hesitate, masturbate. :D

When I was in high school I'd be anxious when I was getting ready to go play a baseball game and I'd have to force myself to eat something without much enjoyment. Once I got on the field the anxiousness would go away. So maybe losing your appetite when you're anxious is normal. The trick is to minimize the anxious time. Not easy to do.

Anxiety, what's that? :)
I'm seldom anxious, but anyway I don't eat much ever (but that's for other reasons). I'm lucky though, I'm one of those persons who will likely give their best when the situation gets tough (and therefore you might also get anxious).

Re: Anybody else completely unable to eat when they're anxio

MuFu said:
Anybody else had a similar problem and managed to deal with it?

Yep, I totally have the same problem when I'm seriously worried and/or nervous, so I sympathise entirely. These days I hardly ever have a problem with it for the simple reason that I hardly get stressed about stuff these days, but when I do it really sucks. I had a couple of days like this a few weeks back where I had some really bad news and could barely eat for the period until I got a grip of myself.

I can't really suggest a 'cure' at all, apart from trying to just eat light foods when you feel that way, and to try and relax as much as you can beforehand in any way you can - Excuse yourself to go hide in the toilet and take some deep breaths if you have to! Just relax your body and don't tense up and the whole situation becomes far more manageable in my experience.

EDIT: Oh, and I personally found 'concentrating on the moment' to be the worst thing to do, as you end up focusing on how much you don't want to eat and feel even more sick. For me personally, letting my mind concentrate on anything other than what you're eating and what's worrying/stressing you was the best way forward,

I'm one of those who go into overdrive, eat like a pig normally, but when i'm anxcious, i just eat everything in sight. Then burn it all off with a few hours of exercise. Best way to keep fit. :devilish:

Not really; When I'm anxious its very rare I happen to be eating at the same time, even then anxiety only lasts during a specefic event. Its rare I'm anxious before or after an event.

Sheep say beep.

When I'm anxious, I get the butterflies and don't want to eat. No puking or anything like that. When it's over, I've got a killa appetite.

Back