Kevin Smith on Revenge of the Sith

John Reynolds

Ecce homo
Veteran
SPOILERS

You've been warned...

"Revenge of the Sith" is, quite simply, fucking awesome. This is the "Star Wars" prequel the haters have been bitching for since "Menace" came out, and if they don't cop to that when they finally see it, they're lying. As dark as "Empire" was, this movie goes a thousand times darker - from the triggering of Order 66 (which has all the Shock Troopers turning on the Jedi Knights they've been fighting beside throughout the Clone Wars and gunning them down), to the jaw-dropping Anakin/Obi Wan fight on Mustafar (where - after cutting his legs and arm off, Ben leaves Skywalker burning alive on the shores of a lava river, with Anakin spitting venomous sentiments at his departing mentor), this flick is so satisfyingly tragic, you'll think you're watching "Othello" or "Hamlet".

I saw a gorgeous digitally projected version of the flick, and lemme tell ya': this is a beautiful looking film. The opening space battle sequence is the best in any of the six "Star Wars" movies. Grievous and Kenobi's lightsaber duel is bad-ass, with Grievous rocking four sabers. The Clone Wars end rather early in the flick (about the halfway point), leaving the rest of the film to concentrate on Anakin's turn to the Dark Side, and the resulting slaughter of the Jedi.

I haven't even watched 2 :( , as I was quite dissapointed by 1. Is 3 actually worth watching? I would REALLY want it to, but color me unimpressed by the way things were going so far.

this still doesnt make me wanna watch it..... after 1 and 2 i have my doubts...
i think i'll check ...urm....internet sources, before giving my cash for movie....

Heh, just read that Smith also liked Phantom Menace when it was first released, so his opinion on RotS now means diddly-squat to me. F'in rabid Star Wars fans.

The sites been kinda neutered due to the review. They are limiting access to it right now. At first I was pretty stoked he gave it such a shining review (getting my hopes up here), and then John had to go, and blow it by pulling one of Kevins skeletons out of the closet! o_O :LOL:

I still think it will be better than the other two though...

DiGuru said:
I haven't even watched 2 :( , as I was quite dissapointed by 1. Is 3 actually worth watching? I would REALLY want it to, but color me unimpressed by the way things were going so far.

2 was better than 1 but that’s not saying much. 1 was painfully bad. And how irritating was Goofey, opps I mean Jar Jar.

DiGuru said:
you ARE aware 3 isnt out yet? how would we be able to answer your question?

Back