Nintendogs gets Famitsu 40/40 perfect score

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are only five games ever to have gotten a perfect score from Famitsu. Ocarina of Time, Vagrant Story, Soul Calibur, Wind Waker and now Nintendogs.

Apparently the game sold 88,000 in its first day and since then its actually climbed up the chart. Started at 3rd and is now second. Rumour has it its already sold over 300,000 in its first 5 days... but I'll believe that when I see it.

BTW Naruto for the DS is also doing very well (sitting around 3rd place and has been 1st at one point). As is Fire Emblem for GC which is currently top of the chart.

This should be in the handheld forum BTW :)

As an avid import gamer who monitors import news and publications, you have my most sincere assertion that FAMITSU REVIEWS ARE RUBBISH. Please, do not follow what the unknowing masses may do on other boards and soil this forum with news of their review scores, because FAMITSU REVIEWS ARE RUBBISH.

passerby said:
As an avid import gamer who monitors import news and publications, you have my most sincere assertion that FAMITSU REVIEWS ARE RUBBISH. Please, do not follow what the unknowing masses may do on other boards and soil this forum with news of their review scores, because FAMITSU REVIEWS ARE RUBBISH.

Whatever your beef with famitsu, it's hard to argue with the other games they've scored 40/40. That any publication would group Nintendogs with those games is pretty amazing imo.

passerby

You might not like Famitsu but that doesn't make their review scores worthless. Other people will be very interested to see the review scores this game has gotten.

I don't have much experience myself with Famitsu (I've seen some editions and the scores generally seem ok). But the games they've given perfect scores to in the past are all excellent, so I'm sure Nintendogs is no exception.

Incidentally I like how Famitsu get 4 people to review a game and then average up the 4 scores into one final score.

gurgi said:
passerby said:

Whatever your beef with famitsu, it's hard to argue with the other games they've scored 40/40. That any publication would group Nintendogs with those games is pretty amazing imo.
Passerby is 100% correct, Famitsu reviews are as useless as it can get.
All the reviews are send to the games publishers for "correction" and "approbation" before being published in the magazine.
The overall editorial quality for the reviews leaves, also, a lot to be desired, if you ask me.

Famistu is great for the news and previews, that's a fact, though.

Thinking about it, the reviews can be useful sometime, when a game scores low, it means that even the publisher agrees that the game is crap, which help you avoid importing crap titles. :LOL:

Teasy said:
You might not like Famitsu but that doesn't make their review scores worthless.
Oh they are. Just mix around the import gamers who read Japanese game publications in gamefaqs.

Or perform the following experiment for your own proof:

Step 1: Follow the weekly Fam review descriptions and scores.

Step 2: Base game purchase decisions on information gathered in Step 1.

Last Step: 1 year later, start declaring on forum boards, 'FAMITSU REVIEWS ARE RUBBISH'.

Vysez

Famitsu's review text may be compromised by too much developer input (I've got no idea about that) but obviously their scores are not. Otherwise every game out there would get a perfect score. Not only 5 of them in the entire time the mag has been around..

passerby

Step 1: Follow the weekly Fam review descriptions and scores. Step 2: Base game purchase decisions on information gathered in Step 1

I have to say I wouldn't be too upset if if I'd bought Ocarina of Time, Vagrant Story, Soul Calibur and Wind Waker based on Famitsu's recommendation :) You might be right that they aren't that good for reviews overall, I don't know to be honest. But clearly when it comes to giving out perfect scores they have a good record.

Teasy said:
Vysez

Famitsu's review text may be compromised by too much developer input (I've got no idea about that) but obviously their scores are not. Otherwise every game out there would get a perfect score. Not only 5 of them in the entire time the mag has been around..
Not the developer, but the publisher. And they don't give a perfect score to all the games they ever review, that's true.
But wouldn't the publisher input be a little too obvious, if they did give 10/10/10/10 to all the games? ;)

The Famitsu/Enterbrain scoring system is "famous" among the Video-game journalists for being the lowest form of their "art".

I have no idea about the text of the review, but I assume it scored a 40/40 because it does everything you'd expect a dog simulator to do with no issues. Big whoop. The premise is too simplified. It may indeed be enjoyable to some people, but come on, it's a dog simulator. A perfect toilet-use simulator should score a 40/40 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back