CPU Charts - nice...

Woot! Toms Hardware!!
popcorn.gif

Joe DeFuria said:
My 3.2 GHz Northwood purchased about 18 months ago is going strong too...which is rather depressing actually. :(

I agree. CPUs are progressing SO slowly it's not even funny, especially compared to the fact that we get a GPU that's double (or more) the performance of the last gen every 12 months or so...

Maybe now with dual cores things will get better.

london-boy said:
I agree. CPUs are progressing SO slowly it's not even funny
Thank god for that! Few of us are made of money to the degree that upgrading processor and possibly other related components (intel loves to switch CPU socket every now and then for example just to fuck with us customers) every six to twelve months is a possibility...

I for one welcome the slowdown in both CPU and GPU developments that has taken place over the last year in particular.

Guden Oden said:
london-boy said:
Thank god for that! Few of us are made of money to the degree that upgrading processor and possibly other related components (intel loves to switch CPU socket every now and then for example just to fuck with us customers) every six to twelve months is a possibility...

I for one welcome the slowdown in both CPU and GPU developments that has taken place over the last year in particular.

You were obviously not buying at the right price point then. I almost never spend more than $150 on an upgrade, whether it's the CPU, GPU, or RAM, and still manage to have a nearly state of the art system. Same general idea goes for building new systems as well.

Of course it's going to hurt if you try and buy the latest and greatest, but that quick pace makes certain that the price drops fast on the former high end.

I for one miss the fast pace of the CPU market, I'm starting to need a boost in processing power, and the DCs are looking mighty tempting. And when the time comes I'll probably buy the mainstream NV50/R520 as well.

Guden Oden said:
london-boy said:

YES! Let's slow technological progress because you don't want to upgrade often!!

What's the point of that post?! If you can't upgrade too often, bad for you, that means that if you upgrade every 3 years, by that time processors will be VERY fast!

Why slowing down progress? So that in 3 years time, when u want to upgrade, processors have evolved less than they should? If anything, the faster they progress, the happier you should be when you upgrade, since you'll be upgrading to something which is a lot faster than you have now!!

my setup isn't even on the list mobile barton 2500+ (1.8Ghz stock) overclocked to 2.8GHz. pretty good o/c on air cooling (coolmaster copper core heatsink) I wonder what the rating would be? XP 3500+ maybe?

YeuEmMaiMai said:
my setup isn't even on the list mobile barton 2500+ (1.8Ghz stock) overclocked to 2.8GHz. pretty good o/c on air cooling (coolmaster copper core heatsink) I wonder what the rating would be? XP 3500+ maybe?

Nah, on the athlon xp scale it would be closer to an athlon xp 4000+

Back