Chaperone

Lately a guy hinted on GA forums to the fact Sony and Nvidia started to work together well before their announce, let's say they were working on the GPU already in year 2003.
If this is true maybe we should expect something much more customized than a 'simple' switch from a PCIE to a FLEXIO interface.
The truth is no one knows a damn thing about PS3 GPU.
peace :?

Brimstone said:
Besides the name fitting in with the PS3 ethos, how customized is the GPU? Before it was hinted at it's closer to a nVidia design already in progress rather than something customized for the launch of "Brave New CELL World".

Dunno, apparently Spring '03 was when they got together according to some rumours...so they should have a decent amount of time to integrate with CELL...

Why are we quick to assume/think this is the PS3 GPU codename?

When I saw this last night I thought it was a drunken post :LOL:

And yes, a guy on GAF who according to most is "close" to Sony claims things started brewing more formally between Sony and NVidia in early 2003 - no contracts, but that certain things were written down on paper - even while Sony was working with Toshiba on a potential PS3 graphics part. I guess it's not too unreasonable to assume they were pitting them off against one another (and perhaps other contenders?) and that in the end NVidia offered the best all-round package? It also matches a little more closely in meaning to what one might expect from their own claims about how long they've been working together too.

Jaws said:
Titanio said:
Why are we quick to assume/think this is the PS3 GPU codename?

When I saw this last night I thought it was a drunken post :LOL:

'Coz this is typical Dave! :p

Hehe, I guess I've not been around long enough so.

Of course, if this IS the PS3 GPU codename, then that means Dave has likely picked up some other info about it, no matter how small. GET 'IM! :D

Jaws said:
Brimstone said:
Besides the name fitting in with the PS3 ethos, how customized is the GPU? Before it was hinted at it's closer to a nVidia design already in progress rather than something customized for the launch of "Brave New CELL World".

Dunno, apparently Spring '03 was when they got together according to some rumours...so they should have a decent amount of time to integrate with CELL...

From a Jen-Hsun Huang interview.

Since then, Huang and his company have made a comeback. In December, he announced that Nvidia had inked a deal with Sony for the consumer electronics giant's next-generation PlayStation console.

"Xbox was a great piece of business for us, but Sony PlayStation will be larger," he said.

"I've learned a lot. I don't think my approach to work has changed. We continue to take calculated risks. We made some mistakes, but taking calculated risks and innovation is a very fine line."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/02/07/BUGHCB5SUK1.DTL&type=printable

How pro-active is nVidia in the PS3 development cycle? What kind of risks could nV taking with the PS3? Gigapixel?

Brimstone said:
Since then, Huang and his company have made a comeback. In December, he announced that Nvidia had inked a deal with Sony for the consumer electronics giant's next-generation PlayStation console.

"Xbox was a great piece of business for us, but Sony PlayStation will be larger," he said.

"I've learned a lot. I don't think my approach to work has changed. We continue to take calculated risks. We made some mistakes, but taking calculated risks and innovation is a very fine line."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/02/07/BUGHCB5SUK1.DTL&type=printable

How pro-active is nVidia in the PS3 development cycle? What kind of risks could nV taking with the PS3? Gigapixel?

Hmm..not sure if that quote about risks etc. can be directly tied to PS3.

But the thought of them working on this for longer afterall (since 2003) perhaps opens up other comments to consideration - like the quote about it being totally new, not tied to windows at all etc.

It's so hard to tell about PS3's GPU. Even what's been said officially by NVidia sometimes seems to contradict other things they've said, or isn't entirely consistant with what people think is meant by something else they've said. It's a bit of a puzzle.

nAo said:
o one knows a damn thing about PS3 GPU.
peace :?
I only know that Nintendo's and Sony's implementation of secrecy >>>>>>>>>> MS and whole of the next-gen-info-starved world.

BTW, looking back at that infamous powerpoint slide, TOOL v.2 isn't due till ~October. I assume that's when the final parts are really available. Won't be surprised if no concrete specs info come out of E3 at all.

Well they could have paper specs even if they didn't have final hardware, the design must be pretty well developed even if not actually complete by now.

This is the 'problem', it seems from what I heard they (many developers..)still don't have any kind of meaningful specs about the GPU

I love you Faf :)
Dunno precisely what that 'stuff' is, but to me being faster than a 6800 when it has to launch next year it's not a meaninful specification, it's a given! ;)
How faster than a 6800 is it? R500 should be (if we compare shading power) 3 or 4 times faster than a 6800!
As PS3 should launch later in time than Xbox360 I think PS3 GPU should be even faster than that..

[edit] we are nuts! we're here sketching a discussion about a thing we don't even know if it's related to the thread, even if no one but Dave knows what this thread is about. Please Dave....SPILL THE BEANS, please :oops:

This article is a bit old, but that's about all that's known about the PS3 GPU. They say it will be a sort of combination of NV40 and NV50, and to add to the confusion NV50 is supposedly now canceled and replaced by G70. G70 is supposedly revolutionary, which again to add to the confusion contradicts previous statements by Nvidia. Maybe we'll learn more at E3...

The 'G' in G70 stands for Gigapixel...because,

DaveBaumann said:
Who gets this reference?

(Perhaps I'm being very slow)

Phil said:
the first (and admittedly only) thing that comes to my mind would be our (former, banned then returned) member chap!?

DaveBaumann said:
Well, you don't. But I think he did

...[he] Gigapixel, returns! :p

BOOMEXPLODE said:
This article is a bit old, but that's about all that's known about the PS3 GPU.
How can you understand that translated article? It could mean everything :)
They say it will be a sort of combination of NV40 and NV50, and to add to the confusion NV50 is supposedly now canceled and replaced by G70. G70 is supposedly revolutionary, which again to add to the confusion contradicts previous statements by Nvidia. Maybe we'll learn more at E3...
I'm hearing a lot of stuff from sites and different people and nothing I read so far does make sense.
Let's hope in E3...
The 'G' in G70 stands for Gigapixel...because..[cut]
Are you kidding, right? ;)

nAo said:
The 'G' in G70 stands for Gigapixel...because..[cut]
Are you kidding, right? ;)

Yeah sorta! :p ...but there's some logic to the madness...

1. The '70' naturally falls inline with the ascending progression from '6x00'...

2. But for a new architecture that's not based on an existing architecture from NV, why still keep 'GeForce'?

Maybe...but something has 'returned' and it's not Chap! :p

...or a Rampaged Gigapixel! ;)

Back