InPhase Holodisks showing up HD-DVD and BR

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050413_201751.html
Holographic media will get an airing next week in Las Vegas, as InPhase Technologies promises a demonstration of its first prototype system.

In addition, InPhase firmed up its product plans, too - the first InPhase drives will ship to commercial customers in 2006, at a larger 300 GByte capacity point.

300GB and WORM (Write Once, Read Many). The 20Mb transfer rate on the 200GB model seems a little slow though. Their goal is 1.6TB of space.

While I do not see this type of technology competing the BR/HD-DVD in the next couple years, the fact they are going to be offering writable media in the TB range in the future makes me think HD-DVD and BR are not going to be as long living as DVD was. I don't remember any competing technology being released within a year of DVD's release that offered 10x+ the storage space.

I don't remember any competing technology being released within a year of DVD's release that offered 10x+ the storage space.
Oh that kind of tech has been around since CD days actually - DAT tapes have typically offered ~10x more space then whatever the dominant optical format was at the time. :p
And if you want more paralels, their transfer rate is about as terrible as what is said above for H-Discs too :oops:

Fafalada said:
I don't remember any competing technology being released within a year of DVD's release that offered 10x+ the storage space.
Oh that kind of tech has been around since CD days actually - DAT tapes have typically offered ~10x more space then whatever the dominant optical format was at the time. :p
And if you want more paralels, their transfer rate is about as terrible as what is said above for H-Discs too :oops:

Thanks Faf! I did not know that.

Well truth be said - optical discs have one important advantage - they actually allow for realtime random access ;)

So even if it has poor transfer rates, H-Disc is more versatille then DAT ever was.

While I do not see this type of technology competing the BR/HD-DVD in the next couple years, the fact they are going to be offering writable media in the TB range in the future makes me think HD-DVD and BR are not going to be as long living as DVD was.

And that's why I said people bragging about Blu-ray's ~ 2X capacity advantage over HD DVD will mean nothing when the HD DVD/Blu-ray generation is over. Sure Blu-ray has longer legs than HD DVD, but who cares when holographic technology is right around the corner?

Anyway in related news, JVC has developed DL DVD-RW discs and are awaiting the DVD Forum's approval. Also NEC is said to be releasing a 16XDVD-RAM drive this fall.

I'm all for holo-discs, but whatever their advantage, I see their uptake being a good deal slower than with these other formats. I do remember SOny signing a deal with them so maybe that'll speed up adoption down the line, but as it stands now, the heavy hitters of the industry have all more or less commited themselves to makking one of these other two formats succeed, so at the very least that's going to have to play itself out first.

Yes and that's why I said after the HD DVD/Blu-ray generation. That generation will probably last between 5 - 10 years, at which point HVD will take over.

how does this compare to FMD ~ Fluorescent Multilayer Disc, by Constellation 3D, that was the hot new media (or was supposed to be) like ~5 years ago ?

PC-Engine said:
Yes and that's why I said after the HD DVD/Blu-ray generation. That generation will probably last between 5 - 10 years, at which point HVD will take over.

You sound very sure about HVD taking over when there can easily be another developing technology on the rise. For all we know there could already be optimization for both HD DVD and Blu-Ray that renders the need for HVD useless - However that is also wishful thinking, but we're all making assumptions anyways.

-Rich

PC-Engine said:
Sure Blu-ray has longer legs than HD DVD, but who cares when holographic technology is right around the corner?

Right around the corner? You must be on a different corner than mine then. ;)

london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:
Sure Blu-ray has longer legs than HD DVD, but who cares when holographic technology is right around the corner?

Early 2006 is when they plan to ship the 300GB drive. That seems to be the same time frame for HD-DVD and BR. Not that the InPhase drive is fast enough, but it does seem they are "coming".

Acert93 said:
london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:

Early 2006 is when they plan to ship the 300GB drive. That seems to be the same time frame for HD-DVD and BR. Not that the InPhase drive is fast enough, but it does seem they are "coming".

Many things often seem like they're coming when in fact they're not. :oops:

/runs

I'll bet this InPhase Holographic drive, HVDs and other holographic disc / drive / system technologies will not be in the consumer PC & electronics space until the next decade.

we still only have DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray only JUST coming onto the scene.

it will be a good while before we get HD-DVD- R / RW and Blu-Ray R/ RW, much less FMD, FMD-ROM, FMD R/RW and HVD, HVD-ROM, HVD-R / RW etc

Holography is only one route, pits can still be made smaller even without going to even shorter wavelengths ... there are ways to get below the diffraction limit. Lots of people researching RENS ... and Philips has been working on something called T-ROM for a while, although that is probably not suited to writeable media (I can find next to no information about it online though, so I cant really tell).

We should wait until we get rid of discs completely, I want a holographic cube storage medium.
DVD's will do fine until then.

rabidrabbit said:
We should wait until we get rid of discs completely, I want a holographic cube storage medium.
DVD's will do fine until then.

Discs are much easier to sore than cubes. Think about it.

Back