LCD price drop by over 60% by 2008

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050413_163827.html
Market research firm Displaysearch expects manufacturing costs for LCD panels to drop by 62 percent in the next four years. Count in the natural price erosion in the industry and $100 17-inch displays suddenly appear on the horizon.

After experiencing a rocky second half of 2004, the global LCD is again steering into a time of recovery. Unlike in the past, the new growth will be driven through cost reduction made possible due to the enormous investments panel makers made in the past years and surfacing depreciation effects. According to Displaysearch analyst Jin Kim, manufacturers are also taking advantage of higher yields in their newer fabs.

This goes back to a discussion we had a couple weeks ago. We were talking about hi resolution LCD hitting the $150 range. 19"-21" TVs are not all too uncommon--if HD 21" LCD TVs can be purchased for under $200 that will really make HD mainstream well within this generation.

With HD starting to kick off quickly in the US--and prices dropping quickly--and with over 215M broadband customers by the end of 2005 world wide it looks like HD and Broadband will be significant players this console generation.

Just my opinion of course.

But 21-inch LCD screens won't give you much of an HDTV experience. Even if they have the resolution.

They will probably maintain present price points for refinements to the technology which brings the best image quality.

wco81 said:
But 21-inch LCD screens won't give you much of an HDTV experience. Even if they have the resolution.

They will probably maintain present price points for refinements to the technology which brings the best image quality.

Well, between a 21" normal 480i TV and a 21" HDTV LCD TV (try saying that 10 times fast...), i know what i'd choose for my room, if the latter was cheap enough...

wco81 said:

I disagree. It may not give you much of an HDTV experience, but I am certain this is not universal by any means. First, not everyone sits 8' back from their TV, and some peple do have countertop/desktop TVs. Second, I can personally tell, on a smaller screen, between a hi def movie, a wide screen DVD 480p movie, and a lower quality 480i feed. And lastly, for gaming, the resolution makes a huge difference.

While I am sure some people only think of HD TV being huge screens that does not fit every circumstance or user. While it may not be much of a HDTV experience for you, it is hard to say that applies to everyone else. Some of us have pretty good eyes and enjoy the extra clarity, sharpness, and detail HD brings... even to small screens ;)

It'll be interesting to see what the sales growth rates of smaller LCD TVs are.

I know as a general rule, TV sales have been flat for a long time.

But big screens, especially plasmas and flat-panel large LCDs, saw explosive growth last year.

Sure in volumes, it's not going to compare to TVs under $1000 or especially under $500. But big screen TV sales in general have been growing faster, which is why "home theater" is a separate category from other AV sales. HDTV displays and the advent of DVD with 5.1 systems helped promote big screen sales.

The smaller LCD TVs, especially the non-HDTVs, are affordable but not cheap, when you compare it to CRTs. I bought a 20-inch Sharp Aquos on sale about a year ago for $700. You can get a nice, flatscreen CRT in that screen size for $400 or less.

The HDTV LCDs at that time were closer to $2000 at the time and they started at 22 inches or so.

I'm using a 17 inch LCD for gaming now. To upgrade to hdtv widescreen, I need to move to at least 26' to feel a good diffference. Anything less shortens the height of the view.

So when will us UK gamers be able to buy a HDTV CRT? :?

I want to get an Xbox2 (or whatever its called) later this year, but with the emphasis on HDTV and the lack of HDTV in the UK I may just have to wait a while. I'm not keen on plasma screens or LCD, I would much rather replace my 28" CRT with a 32" HDTV CRT, but I haven't seen any in the UK yet :(

satriales said:
So when will us UK gamers be able to buy a HDTV CRT? :?

I want to get an Xbox2 (or whatever its called) later this year, but with the emphasis on HDTV and the lack of HDTV in the UK I may just have to wait a while. I'm not keen on plasma screens or LCD, I would much rather replace my 28" CRT with a 32" HDTV CRT, but I haven't seen any in the UK yet :(

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/JVC-HV28P37S.htm

576P and 1080i (not 720P) .... component video (no DVI or HDMI). I have the above TV and it is pretty nice. XBOX on component video on HDTV resolution is nice.

Samsung are releasing some new CRT's that will be HDTV as well soon IIRC.

wco81 said:

Really? Darn, and I wasted all this money on my computer monitor then....

It may not be a home theater experience, but the quality will still be noticably better.

Back