Will Multi-VPU require an ATI motherboard chipset?

The first draft that I saw came across as very sarcastic, it was almost piss-take out of MVP. :?

eh, still doesn't answer my fundamental ATI MVP question: what about different feature sets?

This is the original text:

HEXUS has heard from a number of sources about ATI's launch plans for their multi video processing unit touted as 'MVP'. It is no secret to HEXUS or other folk that these cards were always on the, er… cards as the success of NVIDIA with their SLi solution made it logical for ATI to want to get in on the ‘card on card’action, after all, what red blooded bloke wouldn’t like a bit of twin action now and again, eh?

Sadly, it seems that just like NVIDIA with SLi, ATI’s MVP solution will come with a few rigid pre-set conditions before you can enjoy the benefits… so not all that different from a bit of twin action after all… In order to run the ATI AMR solution you’ll first off need to have a compatible mainboard and then you’ll need two cards, but not just any card, oh no… read on.

Now, here’s the clever bit, the system will run with a master card and slave card. The slave card can be ANY ATI card on the market, which is just about as cool as absolute zero, but (and it’s a big BUT).. the master card, which will control the frame buffer, has to support MVP. The ATI solution runs on a tiled based approach - which has a minimum checkerboard size of 32 pixels square.

So now you’re thinking how cool this and you want one…. Well, erm.. the thing is right now there aren’t actually any of these cards available, so although ATI have done us all a massive favour by keeping some use in our old cards for us, we can’t actually go MVP right now. But despair not, as ATI will be the first to market with these cards and they hope that the AIB partners will follow suite.

In a superb retro throw back to the Voodoo 2 days of yore, the 2 cards will have to be connected via an external dongle which will enable the cards to work together in accelerated harmony. This external link, essentially another bit of wire hanging out the back of your machine, has raised more than one or two eyebrows here at HEXUS towers as ATI have been heard to regard NVIDIA's connector between their 2 cards as being a 'poor solution'. One has to ponder on the external dongle issue, though it obvious that this will allow backwards compatibility with older cards, you have to wonder if ATI were having a pop at NVIDIA's neater internal connector just to give us hacks something to write about? Those guys, eh?

Anyway, with the initial launch of the mainboard supporting AMR/MVP, ATI has been talking about bundling the master card with them - in order to stop consumers from getting confused about what is needed to run the multi-card solution. This could be a good thing, especially if they can keep the price down.

Whatever happens, we are more than curious about how ATI will deliver this very much so 'proprietary' standard, which appears to be different from the 'open standard' talked about previously.

caboosemoose said:
Whatever happens, we are more than curious about how ATI will deliver this very much so 'proprietary' standard, which appears to be different from the 'open standard' talked about previously.

Yeah, I don't get this part at all. They don't say that it will only run on an ATI mobo. They were expecting ATI's solution to allow you to pair an R520 with an NV40?? :?

caboosemoose said:
This is the original text:

In a superb retro throw back to the Voodoo 2 days of yore, the 2 cards will have to be connected via an external dongle which will enable the cards to work together in accelerated harmony. This external link, essentially another bit of wire hanging out the back of your machine, has raised more than one or two eyebrows here at HEXUS towers as ATI have been heard to regard NVIDIA's connector between their 2 cards as being a 'poor solution'. One has to ponder on the external dongle issue, though it obvious that this will allow backwards compatibility with older cards, you have to wonder if ATI were having a pop at NVIDIA's neater internal connector just to give us hacks something to write about? Those guys, eh?

One cool thing about the V2 SLI solution was that no mobo circuitry external to the V2's was required. You could run SLI on any mobo with the required number of open PCI slots, IIRC. The rear cable was not a "dongle" but rather the communications link required to synchronize the V2's to operate as if they were but a single card.

How on earth might Hexus imagine that coordination of the type necessary for SLI to work might be achieved *without* directly linking the two cards together in some fashion? SLI, whether then or now, is not a single card but rather is two separate cards coordinated and synced to operate together as if they were a single card. IE, without direct communication between the two cards the transparent operation of the pair of cards acting as a single card would become impossible. The idea of using standard system and bus and cpu resources to accomplish the synchronization in software is, I think, exceedingly poor, since you'd be more or less cutting off your nose to spite your face in terms of performance--even if you could get it to work, imo.

Also, I have never "heard" or read an ATi comment that in any way indicated that connecting two cards directly together for SLI operation might be a "poor solution"...;) Again, without such linkeage transparent operation of the pair of cards as a single card would become impossible. I think that what Hexus may actually have heard and misconstrued is ATi's reflection on the propietary nature of nV's SLI being a "poor solution" in that it requires proprietary mobo circuitry external to the pair of 3d cards operating in SLI. At least, this would be my guess...

I think that people are missing the obvious--that SLI is not and never will be a "single card" but is rather *two cards* linked and synced to operate as a single card.

Well, I posted this on the Hexus forum:

Interesting story, but I'll go out on a limb and suggest that large parts of it don't seem to make much sense. The implications of AMR 1. being compatible with existing cards via an external dongle and 2. using tile-based rendering are, umm, a bit challenging. For starters it means the cards will be connected by either VGA, or even more bizarrely, DVI. On the old 3DFX SLI, VGA made sense because it was a *relatively* straight forward task to interleave the outputted scan lines. But if you think about trying to interleave a bunch of pre-rendered tiles outpputed by VGA or DVI, well it sounds like a recipy for latency and image artefacts to me. As to how you would intertleave the DVI output from the slave card into the DVI output of the master, I have no idea. It seems like a very clunky way of going about things, but then what the hell do I know....etc etc etc

Overall, if ATI's multi card is tech is like Hexus say (and I have at least some reason to believe it is) then I suspect it is a stop-gap solution designed to allow ATI to tick that multi-card box in the short run while they work on a more sophisticated solution in the longer term.

WaltC said:
The rear cable was not a "dongle" but rather the communications link required to synchronize the V2's to operate as if they were but a single card.

The rear cable was just a short VGA passthrough cable to allow for 2D/3D without switching the monitor cable. The SLI connector was internal, and was just a short ribbon cable.

caboosemoose said:
For starters it means the cards will be connected by either VGA, or even more bizarrely, DVI.

DVI gives a digital output. If the hardware is capable then it could be read in from the slave and composited, digitally, with the image from the master board.

Why even go that far? Why not just use the driver to read the framebuffer from the slave device back over PCI-E, upload it to the master card, and have it composited on the GPU.

Well, this is "new information", so presumably the thinking behind it is that this wouldn't loose any performance from passing the image over the bus and you'd still have the benefits of using the existing board.

mangrove said:
The rear cable was just a short VGA passthrough cable to allow for 2D/3D without switching the monitor cable. The SLI connector was internal, and was just a short ribbon cable.

You're right...thanks for the refresher...;) The strange Hexus comment about a "dongle" obviously got me sidetracked.

Cool idea if it works, but it sounds like a driver nightmare to me, trying to support a mix of old and new tech cards. Nvidia seems to be having a tough enough time with matched cards let alone cards from different generations.

DaveBaumann said:
caboosemoose said:
For starters it means the cards will be connected by either VGA, or even more bizarrely, DVI.

DVI gives a digital output. If the hardware is capable then it could be read in from the slave and composited, digitally, with the image from the master board.

Sure, but it still strikes me as a rather low-tech way of going about things. It's a bit of a messy hack if you ask me!

So - if you're trying to run two monitors, you're gonna be screwed* (if the passthrough connector is taking up a DVI slot on each card)?

*Well, you'll at least end up having to swap cables between running a dual monitor desktop, and single screen games?

Kludgey IMHO, if this info is true.

Something else doesn't make sense to me. How beneficial would it be to be able to run an X850XT PE alongside your built-in mobo gpu. Wouldn't that render AFR useless? (assuming ATI is going to support an AFR mode).

trinibwoy said:
Something else doesn't make sense to me. How beneficial would it be to be able to run an X850XT PE alongside your built-in mobo gpu. Wouldn't that render AFR useless? (assuming ATI is going to support an AFR mode).

Not very, according to this: http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1255

I found this part interesting:

ATI will apply the same approach as NVIDIA to support games for its technology. Since Multi-VPU is driver dependant, the initial support for games will be lengthy, but like NVIDIA, ATI will continue to create profiles and support newer games as time progresses.

Be interesting to see how many profiles they ship with.

This article also denies the dongle thing from the HEXUS piece.

I found this part interesting -

Unfortunately with good news comes bad news as well. Although two cores will work perfectly fine in the setup, you will notice a significant performance gap depending on your choice of cores. For example, let’s say you already have an X700 and you purchase an X850 for the Multi-VPU setup. The unfortunate scenario is that when both of these cards are connected, the speed will default to the core/engine speed of the X700, meaning your X850 will actually run at X700 speeds and not its specified speeds.

To me, this makes absolutely no sense. First off, why would ATI provide such flexibility only to hobble the newer card. Also, equalizing the clock speeds doesn't say squat since there are other factors at play. What if the slower card has a higher clock speed :rolleyes:

If ATI does support different cards working in tandem I'm positive they aren't going to handicap the faster hardware especially if it's true that you will be able to match up a very fast discrete card with integrated mobo graphics. Some sort of load-balancing would be the only reasonable solution.

Back