OMAP 2420 Dev Board and Renesas SHMobile Board

Lazy8s said:
The Saturn also added an analog control pad in 1996 with the superb NiGHTS 3D Controller. Had analog triggers, too.

Heck, I think my Vectrex has an analog stick in its controller but I'll have to fire it up to be 100% sure.

Teasy said:
If Mario Sunshine was Nintendo's only game and GameCube they're only peice of hardware you might just have a point. If Nintendo had ever actually claimed that they wouldn't show GameCube because they feared a company would copy it then you might have a point. None of that is the case though.

BTW here's a question for you. Did the Playstation pad start off with analog sticks or did Sony get the idea from somewhere else?

My comment was in jest over something nintendo normally gets a lot of flak over.

There's quite a bit that has been copied from nintendo and times when they would have been legitimately worried about someone stealing ideas....but it hasn't really happened recently, certainly I don't recall any innovative idea in super mario sunshine that would have been copied.(super mario 64 on the other hand, that was a game to keep locked up until near release date)

Lazy8s said:
Driving two screens is pretty useful for development/presentation purposes. DS could've been its own dev station!

Not to mention every cellphone has 2 screens... don't read too much into it.

amk said:
The mip map boundaries are uncomfortably visible. I take it then that Kyro's "fast trilinear" either doesn't work with PVRTC or it takes up too much silicon real estate.
Remember Kristof's old adage. "Nothing is free in 3D". Anything you do will cost some silicon area...

I'm a little disappointed TBH. The lack of trilinear filtering on many DC games (e.g. MSR, PSO) was IMHO its most annoying deficiency. It seems MBX will be the same.
To put this in to perspective, you are complaining that MBX/MBX-lite does not support FREE trilinear.
That demo is available for the Dell Axim, which is an MBX-lite. Given how small it is, I think you're being overly picky. I suppose you can always turn on trilinear if you really want to.

I suppose I could console myself with the fact that a 100MHz+ MBX powering a screen at mobile resolutions probably has pixel fill rate to burn on such things as trilinear filtering, maybe with a spot of anisotropic too.

Simon F said:
That demo is available for the Dell Axim, which is an MBX-lite. Given how small it is, I think you're being overly picky. I suppose you can always turn on trilinear if you really want to.

speaking of axim and the demo, do you guys offer ogl/es for linux too? IOW, can i get an axim, put a sane os on it and still have ogl/es?

SiBoy said:
Lazy8s said:
Driving two screens is pretty useful for development/presentation purposes. DS could've been its own dev station!

Not to mention every cellphone has 2 screens... don't read too much into it.

Wah? Most cell phones I know of don't have 2 screens, not even flip phones. Could you name some phones with 2 screens?

Fox5 said:
Wah? Most cell phones I know of don't have 2 screens, not even flip phones. Could you name some phones with 2 screens?

Perhaps he means one on the inside (the larger one) and one on the outside (the smaller one) - this is for clamshell designs naturally, NOT candy bar ones.

amk said:
I suppose I could console myself with the fact that a 100MHz+ MBX powering a screen at mobile resolutions probably has pixel fill rate to burn on such things as trilinear filtering, maybe with a spot of anisotropic too.

at cell phone screen sizes is trilinear very important ? I would think fast bilinear with fsaa would be better than just trilinear . The screens are so small .

The actual size of the mbx is also very small and barely increases the cost of the cpus which its embeded in . This will bring dreamcast lvl graphics to cell phones very cheaply which is hte most important thing . NOt trilinear filtering .

Ty said:
Fox5 said:

Perhaps he means one on the inside (the larger one) and one on the outside (the smaller one) - this is for clamshell designs naturally, NOT candy bar ones.

Bleh, the one on the outside is usually just a clock or something.(my cell phone is a flip phone and doesn't have it btw, but mine is super old)

Fox5 said:
Bleh, the one on the outside is usually just a clock or something.(my cell phone is a flip phone and doesn't have it btw, but mine is super old)

My cell (kinda old too) has one on the outside and it shows a picture of the person calling (I can assign pictures to it). The PQ is no different than the inner screen other than being smaller.

Ty said:
Fox5 said:

Correct, the SHMobile Dev Board is actually a dev board for a clamshell type phone with one highres display and one lower res display (outside one).

jvd said:
at cell phone screen sizes is trilinear very important ? I would think fast bilinear with fsaa would be better than just trilinear . The screens are so small .

Bilinear + Supersampling gives damn close 2xAF filtering quality; albeit you'd need 4x sample SSAA to match 2xAF in both directions. However 2x vertical Supersampling + bilinear are IMHO good enough for such small devices and a better investment in terms of fill-rate overall, compared to "just" trilinear or even worse "strict" AF.

If die-size in the future allows for fast adaptive anisotropic algorithms, a combination with pure Multisampling would save of course a lot more fill-rate, especially when resolutions tend to scale even more in the future.

As a reminder in terms of texture filtering even on today's high end PC GPUs, I can see only bilinear being free. Else replace with newly found terms like bri- or try-linear. Is there a PDA/mobile core out there that is capable of real single-cycle trilinear?

Simon F said:
Anyway, pardon my ignorance, but what's so bad about WinCE? AFAIAA it's running OGL-ES which seems OK.
The same thing that's wrong with WinXP. Buggy and bloated. BTW, I have an Axim X50v with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, so I speak from experience.

Simon F said:
That demo is available for the Dell Axim
Publicly? :oops: If so, got a link?

Kristof said:
Samsung DevBoard picture can be seen in the latest Khronos Presentations:

OpenGL ES 1.0/1.1 compliant

I don't think this is really true. Haven't seen any announcement so far that the MBX would be compliant with OpenGL ES 1.0/1.1.

ddes said:
Kristof said:

I don't think this is really true. Haven't seen any announcement so far that the MBX would be compliant with OpenGL ES 1.0/1.1.

Kristof works for Imagination Technologies...

ddes said:
Kristof said:

That's a public document quoted up there; in any case what would you suggest the requirements are for 1.1 exactly?

Not sure about 1.1, but in 1.0 they needed proprietary extensions to support the VGP functionalities.

Back