ATi 9600xt and Abit AV8 problems. HELP

Snoochems

Newcomer
Hi all. I have a problem with my computer that I’ve recently upgraded.
Before I upgraded, I had NO PROBLEMS.

I upgraded from an Athlon XP system to a A64 socket 939 system. I didn’t upgrade my 9600xt.

I went with an ABIT AV8 mobo, and 3200+. Anyways everything was working fine with reinstalling windows, but playing ANY 3d game, the video will hang, and the system will freeze/stop.

I tried everything, from reinstalling windows again, trying different video drivers, setting fast writes, AGP speeds, 4x, 8x… nothing helps.

So, I go to my brothers place. One of my brothers has an identical system except he has a X800xt. So we swap video cards around, and then his computer goes through the same problems I had when that video card was in mine. I put his X800xt into my computer, and everything worked.

Obviously something up with the 9600xt and the AV8.

Just to make sure, my other brother has Socket 939 computer. (gigabyte K8NS) with a nvidia video card. So we swap video cards, and the my 9600xt works in his computer.

So, is there a way to fix this problem? What should I do?

Snoochems said:
Hi all. I have a problem with my computer that I’ve recently upgraded.
Before I upgraded, I had NO PROBLEMS.

I upgraded from an Athlon XP system to a A64 socket 939 system. I didn’t upgrade my 9600xt.

I went with an ABIT AV8 mobo, and 3200+. Anyways everything was working fine with reinstalling windows, but playing ANY 3d game, the video will hang, and the system will freeze/stop.

I tried everything, from reinstalling windows again, trying different video drivers, setting fast writes, AGP speeds, 4x, 8x… nothing helps.

[...]

So, is there a way to fix this problem? What should I do?

That's interesting - I had the exact same problem (except it was a Athlon 3500). The only thing that worked for me was to turn AGP off altogether in the ATI Control Panel.

Do you have a option in the BIOS for uping the AGP voltage? If you do try uping the voltage and try lower the core speed down to 400 to use less power.
This could be a low power problem.

Back