Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care

• Maybe

• Other

• Total voters
even though i own a psp, i still dont really like the size of it...i wouldnt have minded if the screen would have to be shortened to be the size of an sp

DS and PSP are too big. Give me a single smaller touchscreen maybe 3.7' and a smaller size and I'd be happy. It doesn't need to be as small as SP though. A pack of cards is about right with a bigger screen.

No way. The WS LCD for the PSP is awesome, and a perfect size for me. Watching movies on a tiny screen is no fun.

My problem isn't so much the size, as the placement of the shoulder buttons because of the size/shape of the PSP. If I have it in my jacket pocket while playing MP3's, if I accidentally hit either shoulder buttons it will either jump to the next song or restart my current one. It's really annoying, I wish the buttons were somehow shielded more, or if the audio player had a way to lock all the buttons.
________
Herbal Vaporizers

Last edited by a moderator:
SsP45 said:
It's really annoying, I wish the buttons were somehow shielded more, or if the audio player had a way to lock all the buttons.

doesn't the 'hold' position of the power button work?

As I'm only stopping in briefly before trying to get past level 94 of Lumines, I suppose I have to say "no".

Some things just *need* a bigger screen - it's all very well playing 2D stuff on a small screen but 3D needs size as well as resolution in order to make out stuff in the distance, etc.

I suppose it could be thinner maybe, and I dare say that in the future when we have some better technology available in the cheap consumer space, we could have a device with the same size screen but thinner and foldable or something.

But I'm exceedingly happy with mine..

parekh-20050325-SonyPSP.jpg

Evolution should be similar in size to that iPAQ. If you turn that PPC sideways and move the controls down and make it a clamshell design it would be perfect IMO.

A big screen isn't necessary for handheld 3D because the devices are held proportionately closer to the eye than TV viewing. This makes the visibility of the pixels greater than on a TV, so rendering quality has to actually be proportionately higher in handheld graphics to achieve the same level of smoothness. This is a big advantage for technology that excels in image qualities like color precision and higher definitions through supersampled anti-aliasing.

PC-Engine said:

Evolution should be similar in size to that iPAQ. If you turn that PPC sideways and move the controls down and make it a clamshell design it would be perfect IMO.

You couldnt fit all the buttons, and analog stick on there.

That PDA cannot do what the PSP can, if it did, it would be bigger than it is.

Too bad Nintendo didn't make the DS smaller, the hardware is outdated enough that they may have been able to make something close to SP sized. That would have put sony on the spot, the choice wouldn't be between two handhelds of similar size, it would be between a portable and unobtrusive system versus a more powerful but very obstrusive one.

The DS is too big while still having small screens, and is quite awkard to hand it when you have to play metroid with the stylus (it literally hurts some of my fingers :oops: )
It's better for wario ware, and for metroid with the thumb thing (too bad you lose precision compared to the stylus, so I haven't played much with it).

I haven't tried the PSP or even seen it, but it seems thinner, you don't have to open it and it just looks like a (bigger) SNES controller with a great screen on it :) ( /edit : lol I don't like this sentence, too many "it' :oops: )

. too bad we don't even really know when it will be released in Europe (pessimistic rumors say in december..)

fallguy said:
PC-Engine said:

You couldnt fit all the buttons, and analog stick on there.

That PDA cannot do what the PSP can, if it did, it would be bigger than it is.

And why couldn't you? I guess you missed the part where I mention clamshell?

Also please explain why a gaming handheld from Nintendo needs to be bigger than that iPAQ in area in order to do what the PSP could do when it's a clamshell design, neglecting the PSP's bigger screen of course? I fail to see your logic.

The PSP is big because it simply has a big screen. It's not big because of its processing capability. ;)

Lazy8s said:
This is a big advantage for technology that excels in image qualities like color precision and higher definitions through supersampled anti-aliasing.

You crack me up.

the first time I saw / touched a PSP last december, i was astounished how small it was! i was expecting it to be much bigger..

As I'm only stopping in briefly before trying to get past level 94 of Lumines, I suppose I have to say "no".

What score having you gotten so far? I've hit 102,000, but my g/f is clobbering me @300,000 points so far... Although I can happily still beat her somehow in vs. mode...

IMO it would be rather thick (and probably a bit heavy). The DS is already clunky large (although comfortable to hold, and has excellent sound from it's speakers). Also, I'd find what would be essentially an enlarged SP a rather uninteresting product vs. the PSP. The DS provides more unique product differentiation from the PSP...

A big screen isn't necessary for handheld 3D because the devices are held proportionately closer to the eye than TV viewing. This makes the visibility of the pixels greater than on a TV, so rendering quality has to actually be proportionately higher in handheld graphics to achieve the same level of smoothness.

Necessary? No. Preferable? Yes. The problem isn't visibility of pixels (although that is part of it (you *do* have simply fewer pixels to work with and are at a more critical viewing distance), the problem becomes one a lack of optimal field of view at the critical viewing distance. The PSP does a pretty bang up job of dealing with this but it's still too small. And going larger would compromise it's portability too much.

This is a big advantage for technology that excels in image qualities like color precision and higher definitions through supersampled anti-aliasing.

Actually I may have to disagree on this as well. Color precision IMO would be towards the back of the list of critical qualities at this point (unless we're talking HDRI which is a bit silly to discuss in this category of hardware). And anti-aliasing IMO also isn't as critical as one might think. On something like the PSP, you're already rendering in the ballpark of 120 ppi (which would similar to rendering 1880x1440 on a 19" LCD), so it's less necessary to anti-alias the scene than it would be if you were rendering at say less than 30 ppi. Texture filtering would play a bigger role in the quality of the rendered scene IMO than either of the facets you mentioned, as well as representing a more difficult challenge to overcome from an engineering standpoint for a handheld devices...

IMO it would be rather thick (and probably a bit heavy). The DS is already clunky large (although comfortable to hold, and has excellent sound from it's speakers). Also, I'd find what would be essentially an enlarged SP a rather uninteresting product vs. the PSP. The DS provides more unique product differentiation from the PSP...

It wouldn't need to be much thicker than a SP, maybe 2-3 mm. The DS is clunky and large, but Evolution could be smaller with a single bigger touch screen. IMO Evolution with a 3.7" 4:3 or 3:2 touch screen, WiFi, SD card compatibillity, mic, analog thumb stick, built-in Pictochat and sized like a pack of cards in a clamshell form factor as more attractive than PSP or DS and that's even before mention of its 3D or gyroscopic capabilites. You'd basically have an iPAQ clamshell with built-in 3D for around $200.

Fox5 said:
Too bad Nintendo didn't make the DS smaller, the hardware is outdated enough that they may have been able to make something close to SP sized. That would have put sony on the spot, the choice wouldn't be between two handhelds of similar size, it would be between a portable and unobtrusive system versus a more powerful but very obstrusive one.

That wouldn't really be possible because the DS has two screens vertically aligned.

archie4oz:
Necessary? No. Preferable? Yes.
Whether it's preferable or not depends on how it affects the unit's form factor. Bigger/better/faster is always preferable, of course, without considering context.
Color precision IMO would be towards the back of the list of critical qualities at this point
I didn't mean to imply that other image qualities were less important. Color integrity is just as fundamental, and low depth has stood out a little in some PSP games.
And anti-aliasing IMO also isn't as critical as one might think. On something like the PSP, you're already rendering in the ballpark of 120 ppi (which would similar to rendering 1880x1440 on a 19" LCD), so it's less necessary to anti-alias the scene than it would be if you were rendering at say less than 30 ppi.
Qualities for mobile graphics don't get much more critical than scene anti-aliasing. While the small area for mobile displays can give a high concentration of pixels to prevent any roughness in the graphics from showing much, it also means that the graphics are small and of low resolution on an absolute scale and are therefore in need of better definition to maintain the same level of distinctness.

For better visibility of mobile graphics, improved graphics qualities can also help like bigger screens and brighter displays do.
Texture filtering would play a bigger role in the quality of the rendered scene IMO than either of the facets you mentioned, as well as representing a more difficult challenge to overcome from an engineering standpoint for a handheld devices...
Texture filtering is certainly important as well, being another image quality and key factor of advantage to architectures that excel with acceleration for anisotropic, even if it can only be afforded selectively.

Back