CELL and XDR at 4.8 Ghz ?

version

Regular
XDR DRAM of Toshiba and 4.8GHz operation sample shipment

It announced thatcorporation Toshiba on the 30th, developed 512bit XDR of 4.8GHz operation, DRAM "TC59YM916BKG" started sample shipment. As XDR DRAM the 2nd generation item.

As for XDR DRAM, per 1 clock cycle which Rambus developed ODR which does eight data input/output (Octal Data Rate) the memory which is adopted. With ODR of clock frequency 600MHz, 4.8GHz is actualized. In addition, you say that you verified also the operation of 6.4GHz, by ODR of 800MHz drive.

As for main specification, constitution 4M word ×8 bank ×16bit, operating voltage 1.8V and the smallest cycle time (tRC) 40ns. The package to adopt BGA of 1.27mm×0.8mm pitch, even in the PCB baseplate of the number of low-levels corresponding possibility.

XDR DRAM with the product for data processing of wide band, is adopted in the next generation PlayStation of SONY

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0330/toshiba.htm

if this is true then Xdr's bandwith will be 38 GB/s, memory size 384 MB for cell
nvidia gpu run at 600 MHZ and has 384 MB ram too

version said:
if this is true then Xdr's bandwith will be 38 GB/s, memory size 384 MB for cell

I doubt PS3 will have 768MB of 4.8GHz XDR + 8:1 4.8GHz CELL + 600MHz GPU + Blu-ray for $300.

PC-Engine said:
version said:

I doubt PS3 will have 768MB of 4.8GHz XDR + 8:1 4.8GHz CELL + 600MHz GPU + Blu-ray for $300.

Who say it will cost $300 :D

version said:
:?: :?: :?: :?:
CELL supports up to 2/32 bit xdr channels AFAIK, adding more xdr modules it possible but it will not add bandwith. At 4.8 ghz bandwith is 30 Gbytes/s, even if I doubt PS3 memory system will be clocked so high!
GPU is a mystery, though.

PC-Engine said:
Who says? The market says.

When CELL was shown a market analysist said they expected the PS3 to come in at between $500-$700 :D

I am excited about the PS3 (the high definition gets me excited and was a turn off of the PS2... I run my GCN on my monitor in progressive scan), but if it comes in at over $400 there is no way I will get one. $350, game, controller = still too much for me.

It will be interesting to see how all three price out. I would not be surpised if MS is able to dictate pricing this gen. Being a year ahead and willing to lose some money may put Sony in a squeeze. In 2007, an X2 at $200 versus a $300 PS3 could be interesting if the X2 has a solid game library and some killer exclusives. We often ignore how price plays into this stuff, but there will be limits on how much Sony can drop with the BR drive and the other high end stuff.

But a price war is great for us 8)

Again with this price thing...

All consoles will cost much more to manufacture than they are sold at, at least for the first year or so.

They will be sold at deecnt prices, like all successful consoles have been in the past.

I paid UK£350 for a PS2 at launch, although the actual price tag was supposed to be £299. Did that hurt PS2? Thinking PS3 will launch at ridiculous prices like £400 or £500 is stupid.

Sony will put into the PS3 enough to stay in budget, the line beign the figure they think they will be able to afford to lose in the short run. Console manufacturing is always a compromise, the companies draw a line somewhere and fill in the gaps until they can't afford to lose any money anymore.

I don't think PS3 will have 768MB of 4.8GHz XDR + 8:1 4.8GHz CELL + 600MHz GPU + Blu-ray unless Sony is prepared to lose a lot of money, cause the console WILL launch at a price people will buy it, which is around £300. Or whatever u pay in the US.

Ps3 will have BlueRay, "a configuration of Cell", "a GPU", and "some" RAM. All the elements in quotes will be balanced according to how much Sony can afford. And i'm pretty sure it's the RAM that will suffer, it always is.

I think $100 or even $200 difference in price here or there doesn't really matter as a console is purchased to last about 5 years.
If there are enough extra features to justify the extra price tag, I can see next gen consoles costing well over $300 at launch.

Besides, i forgot, whatever they lose in the price war, they make it up with the money they make from UK/EU pricing (US$299 =! UK£299... errr) :devilish:

rabidrabbit said:
I think $100 or even $200 difference in price here or there doesn't really matter as a console is purchased to last about 5 years.
If there are enough extra features to justify the extra price tag, I can see next gen consoles costing well over $300 at launch.

Just curious how much you'd pay for a PS3 at launch? What would you pay more/less for?

london-boy said:
Again with this price thing...

All consoles will cost much more to manufacture than they are sold at, at least for the first year or so.

They will be sold at deecnt prices, like all successful consoles have been in the past.

I believe the PS3 will come in with a reasonable price. But there is no denying that the system has expensive parts. Almost all consoles lose money at launch, but Sony may be on the high end with the PS3, even for a console. We do not know exactly how much a PS2 will cost to make, but analysts giving $500-$700 figures is quite impressive--that means they are shoving a lot of good stuff in there ;)

Anyhow, I was rubbing it in. 768MB of XDR is really asking waaaayy to much. When people want to talk about a reasonable price, but with outrageous amounts of RAM, all I can do is point to the analyst's numbers ;) Like you said, there always are compromises in a system design based on budget. If I remember correctly most companies make more than one design, and then pick a design toward the end based on the market direction and what fits their budget best. I am sure this is the case with the PS3.

I'm willing to bet PS3 won't sell too well at $400 and up even factoring in all the early Blu-ray adopters. Most people (gamers) would wait for a price drop. OTOH people in Japan might make it seem like it will be selling well initially considering they eat up everything that is SONY, even something like a PSX at launch sold well, then tanked afterwards.

PC-Engine said:
I'm willing to bet PS3 won't sell too well at $400 and up even factoring in all the early Blu-ray only adopters. Most people (gamers) would wait for a price drop.

If it sells at $400 at launch... Will it? Besides, even if it sells at $300, once you get a second controller and a game, u're already close to $400 anyway, and this has been the case at every launch, most people won't get one at launch mainly cause there just won't be enough units available. The initial stocks always sell out straight away, although it is correct to say that out of 70M PS2 users now, "most" didn't get one at launch. It's normal. Same can be said for every console.
Personally, there is NO way i'll splash out 400 quid for a launch console, will definately wait till the dust has settled.

Back